E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing / Warranty > Did I get fleeced?

06-25-2013, 09:47 AM   #1
Googie
Irish
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07 335i, 2016 X5, Jeep JKU

Did I get fleeced?

So my car was showing the symptoms of bad valve cover gasket. I brought it to a non BMW shop that does bmw's, merc's, etc. and they changed the gasket. The car is still leaking oil and showing the same symptoms. They charged me $900 to do the job (car is 2007 e92). So I brought the car back and they looked at it and without taking the valve cover back off they said that the valve cover is warped and now it was going to be $1100 to fix that!
I did some research online and found this in a forum thread:
The issue with BMWs valve cover gaskets is on the back of the head oil seeps out because gasket doesn't seal perfectly there. To solve this apply a small amount of ultra copper silicone gasket maker to the halve moon shaped cutouts on the back of the head. BMW does not say this is necessary when replacing the gasket but from experience and from what others have told me this is the best way to prevent seeping oil. Ive done this to all the BMWs I've replaced valve cover gaskets on.
It seems to me that the shop I brought it to maybe just didn't do as described above. I don't know how they can tell me the valve cover is warped without taking it off? When I asked them to show me that it was warped they said that it's impossible to show that its warped?? So I said how do you know its warped then? Any advice on what I should do? I am out $900 and still have a leak.

And I was going to do the job myself I probably would have done a better job....
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2013, 09:52 AM   #2
rr006rbc
Colonel
Rep
Drives: '23 M440i GC

You would have been better off going to a dealership and paying the $600-800(depending where you live and how much they feel like gouging you) that they charge for that job.

If it's truly warped they shouldn't charge you additional labor, just the new valve cover itself since they didn't truly diagnose your vehicle correctly..
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2013, 11:12 AM   #3
Googie
Irish
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07 335i, 2016 X5, Jeep JKU

Yeah I tried that argument, believe me, but to no avail.
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2013, 11:35 AM   #4
ZROFCKSGVN
Hi Hater
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Reckless

heres a few questions that may be of help

do they charge by the hour?
if so how many hrs did they quote for the labor?
are they licensed?
did you sign a written estimate or work consent form?

because this seems like a rip off to me, they over charged significantly to begin with but it also seems as if they may have not done the job properly, i would state the request to the shops owner or manager and demand for it to get fixed tell him otherwise you will be taking your request to the Bureau of Automotive Repairs. If the issue isnt resolved i would contact BAR(bureau of automotive repairs) and file a formal complaint, they will come knocking on these guys doors and will be looking for all the proper documentation and paper trail of the job, they will open an investigation and if the shop is violating ANY automotive repair laws they will get stripped of their license. The most common mistake they make is not giving out written estimates which in most states is in direct violation of some auto repair codes. I doubt it will go as far as that because if this shop is as illegitimate as they sound last thing they will want is for BAR to be going thru their stuff.
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2013, 10:23 PM   #5
Chriztofor
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '06 325i and '13 X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZROFCKSGVN View Post
heres a few questions that may be of help

do they charge by the hour?
if so how many hrs did they quote for the labor?
are they licensed?
did you sign a written estimate or work consent form?

because this seems like a rip off to me, they over charged significantly to begin with but it also seems as if they may have not done the job properly, i would state the request to the shops owner or manager and demand for it to get fixed tell him otherwise you will be taking your request to the Bureau of Automotive Repairs. If the issue isnt resolved i would contact BAR(bureau of automotive repairs) and file a formal complaint, they will come knocking on these guys doors and will be looking for all the proper documentation and paper trail of the job, they will open an investigation and if the shop is violating ANY automotive repair laws they will get stripped of their license. The most common mistake they make is not giving out written estimates which in most states is in direct violation of some auto repair codes. I doubt it will go as far as that because if this shop is as illegitimate as they sound last thing they will want is for BAR to be going thru their stuff.
Bureau of Automotive Repairs? OP report them to the BBB then they will be calling you to resolve this. I think you can do this online.
If no codes are being thrown use Chevron Techron fuel injector cleaner (concentrate). It solves rpm fluctuating upon cold start-up. Also, for most BMW problems start off by scanning your car with the Peake Research Tool. It contains the actual BMW codes. If you want to register a newly installed battery for free (just buy a $10 cable) and google/download BMWLogger
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2013, 10:17 AM   #6
ZROFCKSGVN
Hi Hater
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Reckless

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chriztofor View Post
Bureau of Automotive Repairs? OP report them to the BBB then they will be calling you to resolve this. I think you can do this online.
yea? the BBB is not going to to anything but mediate your argument, vs the BAR which is a division of the department of consumer affairs who will throughly investigate and possibly even help you get some money refunded.

Automotive repair places laugh at being threatened by the BBB because all they can do is pretty much give them a bad review BAR can shut them down

edit: The Florida Department of Agriculture and Consumer Services is actually who regulates repair shops in Florida.

http://www.800helpfla.com/motorveh.html
Appreciate 0