E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > Passed MOT but need it cancelled or re-done elsewhere.

06-20-2013, 06:05 AM   #1
TripleBlack
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW M4

Passed MOT but need it cancelled or re-done elsewhere.

Hi guys,
my girlfriend decided to have my car MOTed at some random back alley garage yesterday and the guy apparently passed the car but said he won't hand over the documents until he sees new tyres on the car first.

So essentially as i see it, he has illegally passed the car knowing there is a serious fault on it. Isn't it MOT procedure to fail the car regardless and/or inform the customer during the test about concerns? (they hand you that orange outlined failed document)

He is technically holding my car for ransom in a way. I haven't gotten all the details yet so I don't know if he is expecting me to buy the tyres from him.
And I'm concerned about the quality of his work with regards to him removing and replacing parts.

If he has really digitally passed the car can it be cancelled officially or is it done now for the year?

Can I have a new one re issued from a place I trust? Or will my place just have to go through the MOT motions to make sure everything is alright without actually recertifying it.

EOD, I know have to buy new tyres but my issue is with the garages procedure.

Last edited by TripleBlack; 06-20-2013 at 06:26 AM..
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2013, 06:17 AM   #2
dest
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: LCI E91 320d M Sport

Tell you will report him to the DOT, dodgy MOT stations hate it
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2013, 06:26 AM   #3
TripleBlack
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

alright, but that won't cancel the digital pass certificate will it?
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2013, 06:27 AM   #4
phil200tdi
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 335i M Sport E90 LCI manual

Are the tyres below the legal limit?

You dont need the documents - if its in the system drive away with your middle finger raised. You can check the MOT status online...
      06-20-2013, 06:27 AM   #5
P 5UML
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E39 M5

yea he cant do that mate!

he should have failed it, given you the car back with the failure certificate - to which you then have 7 days i think to get the faults fixed and bring it back for a free retest!

might be a stupid thing but would it be worth ringing VOSA regarding this? they are all licensed etc and would have all his garage details on the MOT slip! but if you have the name and location of it then they should know the details of the branch
      06-20-2013, 06:50 AM   #6
dest
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: LCI E91 320d M Sport

They might you to take it to a council or vosa run station for a retest, or might want to inspect the car. Best thing would be to call and find out
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2013, 06:54 AM   #7
doughboy
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 Comp 6MT

Just take it somewhere else for a retest, givng him the birdie on the way.

You could have an MOT every day if you wanted, the latest one will just superceed the last one on the system.
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2013, 06:56 AM   #8
G82Dude
-
Rep
Drives: M4CMxD

Discuss it with VOSA; it either passed or it didn't.
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2013, 06:59 AM   #9
TripleBlack
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

thanks, everyone. I suppose its stuck as it is. I'll just have to pay someone else to ensure nothing is left dangling around inside the car.

The tyres are really bad I was delaying on taxing the car because I knew it would need an MOT which it would fail because of the tyres. I wanted to research runflats vs normal tyres and deals. Now she's put me in a slight pickle.

I'm going to go get more details now and check online to see if its really MOT'ed
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2013, 07:22 AM   #10
$pringy
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E91

Just go to any other mot test station and get a duplicate mot certificate printed for a £10. DONE
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2013, 07:25 AM   #11
phil200tdi
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 335i M Sport E90 LCI manual

https://www.gov.uk/check-mot-status-vehicle
      06-20-2013, 07:32 AM   #12
davyk31
Major General
Rep
Drives: Macan GTS :-) & F40 M135i

THere doesn't seem to be any suggestion you need to buy the tyres from him, if he had intended this he wouldn't have let you drive away.

You have the car and it needs new tyres so can't see any problem, just get them yourself and drive back to get your documents. Sounds easy to me.
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2013, 07:39 AM   #13
Drrncour
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E92 M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by TripleBlack View Post
thanks, everyone. I suppose its stuck as it is. I'll just have to pay someone else to ensure nothing is left dangling around inside the car.

The tyres are really bad I was delaying on taxing the car because I knew it would need an MOT which it would fail because of the tyres. I wanted to research runflats vs normal tyres and deals. Now she's put me in a slight pickle.

I'm going to go get more details now and check online to see if its really MOT'ed
As already said if it needs new tyres, and you say there illegal and suggested the tyres need replacing anyway.

The garage guy probs thought he was doing you a favour, by passing it so you didn't have to go back for a retest, but won't give you the certificate as he's passed it, and now you don't want to get new tyres, doesn't want to get himself in trouble. he could give you it and you keep driving around on dodgy tyres with a pass from him.
Cree angel eyes - 19" 313 OEM alloy wheels - 15mm rear spacers - Black performance Grilles - Alloy pedals - Tinted windows - Shadowline trim - M3 rear Spoiler - Tail light mod - LED interior lighting - k&n panel Filter - Performance Diffuser - Carbon Badges alround - Bluetooth - Air intake scoops - Painted Calipers - Custom Stainless Exhaust

Last edited by Drrncour; 06-20-2013 at 07:46 AM..
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2013, 08:29 AM   #14
nicktyler
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 335i (sadly gone)

Garage List
This thread is confusing. Are you sure your not making this harder than it needs to be? Get new tyres, pick up documents, go somewhere else next year.

Or did you not want to buy new tyres yet? You know it is illegal to drive around with bald tyres right?
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2013, 09:03 AM   #15
TripleBlack
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicktyler View Post
This thread is confusing. Are you sure your not making this harder than it needs to be? Get new tyres, pick up documents, go somewhere else next year.

Or did you not want to buy new tyres yet? You know it is illegal to drive around with bald tyres right?
I understand it may be confusing but the aim of this thread was to see if I could get him to cancel the certification, or if I can just get it done elsewhere later on.
Wasn't planning on driving the car around its declared as SORN temporarily.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drrncour View Post
As already said if it needs new tyres, and you say there illegal and suggested the tyres need replacing anyway.

The garage guy probs thought he was doing you a favour, by passing it so you didn't have to go back for a retest, but won't give you the certificate as he's passed it, and now you don't want to get new tyres, doesn't want to get himself in trouble. he could give you it and you keep driving around on dodgy tyres with a pass from him.
He doesn't know whether I want to get new tyres or not. Haven't spoken to him yet. If he is going to get in trouble for breaking the rule he has done it to himself.
And I still wouldn't have driven it now knowing how bad the tyres were.

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3/C63/Q7 View Post
Just go to any other mot test station and get a duplicate mot certificate printed for a £10. DONE
LOL, I forgot you could do that. Nah, I don't have any intentions of doing this though.
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2013, 09:18 AM   #16
Kerr
Brigadier General
Scotland
Rep
Drives: BMW M235I

Wait a minute,

So your car will fail an MOT because the tyres are illegal?

So before you get a genuine pass you will need to replace the tyres?

That would mean you will have to pay for new tyres and another MOT.

Why don't you just replace the tyres and get the certificate from the guy?

It seems he was wrongly trying to do you a favour without getting himself deep in trouble. He should have just failed you.
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2013, 09:19 AM   #17
TripleBlack
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

so the car is definitely MOTed just checked online. I think I said it before that I'll just accept it and get someone else to ensure the car is okay.
The other concern I didn't mention was the whole OBD theft issue. Having my car at a garage I'm not familiar with where they can tinker about with the port is disconcerting.
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2013, 09:24 AM   #18
IanS100
Major General
England
Rep
Drives: 520d F10 LCI M Sport

I'm confused too - You're driving a car with illegal tyres but it has passed the MOT, would you have preferred him to fail it so you're driving without an MOT?
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2013, 09:24 AM   #19
TripleBlack
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerr View Post
Wait a minute,

It seems he was wrongly trying to do you a favour without getting himself deep in trouble. He should have just failed you.
Thats my whole point. I haven't got a problem with it. I was finding out my options.

Cancel it if possible. = Cant be done

Get it certified elsewhere = Cannot overlap a certify with a new one.

Answer: Get my usual indy to just do the checks to make sure it was done right. Buy tyres, go back to first garage to collect paperwork.
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2013, 09:25 AM   #20
idnan
Lieutenant Colonel
England
Rep
Drives: Alpine White 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerr View Post
Wait a minute,

+1 looks like he was just trying to save you the cost of a retest. I think you're reading way too much into it.
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2013, 09:26 AM   #21
TripleBlack
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by IanS100 View Post
I'm confused too - You're driving a car with illegal tyres but it has passed the MOT, would you have preferred him to fail it so you're driving without an MOT?
guys seriously what dont you get now? I never wanted the car MOTed just yet. It was off the road. So yes I was unaware the tyres were illegal.
I would have prefered it failed so I could take it to a place I was comfortable with, myself.
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2013, 09:29 AM   #22
TripleBlack
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by idnan View Post
+1 looks like he was just trying to save you the cost of a retest. I think you're reading way too much into it.
lol, but retests are free within a certain time frame but I get your point.
I think my concerns are not understood though.
Appreciate 0