M5POST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M5POST - BMW M5 Forum > F10 M5 Forum > Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain Modifications

06-12-2013, 04:45 AM   #1
boots
Curve Thrasher
Rep
Drives: 2013 Bmw m5..White/Blk.

Exhaust

I just had a couple guys pm me about an exhaust for the m5. I informed them that my experience with this car is with the Rpi. I also stated there are many exhaust out within a price range from 2k-8k and they all sound great and perform differently. Tone wise from the exotic to deep to mello. Some also look better than others while some put out more power than others. Some come equip with valves to assist with low noise levels while others now have a straight pipe version to improve overall loudness and hopefully add additional power. With the addition of the down pipes it is now more racy and powerful as witness from a forum members video. Since they asked my opinion and I appreciated that I told them their budget would dictate their decision. One of them asked if i had to do it all over again what would i do. My reply was an easy one. It still would be straight pipe Rpi for me. it makes the powaaaa i was looking for. With that said hopefully you guys choose the exhaust that best suits your needs. And remember videos are always welcome after your install.

Regards.

Country run
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2013, 10:10 AM   #2
RPiM5
Major General
Rep
Drives: Mexico Blue F10 M5(Mika)

Yeah I've gotten a ton of PM's as well. Mostly asking about what it is like to live with my current setup.

I agree that it just depends on what u want and how much money you've got. I've heard almost all of them in real life except for a couple of the obscure ones like the Hartge systems or new ones like the RDSport exhaust or the Vorsteiner exhaust. I think we've got about 15 different aftermarket exhaust systems to choose from nowadays, and they are all a little different each in their own way.

In my own opinion and experience is that there is not going to be a huge difference in tone and sound between all of these systems unless you do something with the mufflers and the cats in the downpipes. The cats and the mufflers just hamper too much of the tone and particular sound of each system for each system to really stand out.

I've been modding cars for a long time and when it comes to different exhausts and the sounds they can make there is really only so many ways you can skin a cat. The real sound is coming from the engine itself and like a fine instrument the sound can be tuned any way you want, although I think there is less leeway with turbo engines.

As far as power and performance is concerned. In my opinion, the best way to tell the difference is to race the same car but without the exhaust because I think that the gains in power and torque just from an exhaust system are too minimal to be seen on a dyno or a drag strip. Again, just my opinion based on my experience.

Looks are subjective as course. I personally love the simple look of an exhaust system, and in my opinion I don't see the point of a great looking exhaust when nobody can see it because its under the car and its just gonna get extremely dirty because that's the area of the car that takes the most dirt and grime.

I try to help as many people as I can but in the end it just comes down to what you want and how much money you have.

Appreciate 0
      06-12-2013, 10:59 AM   #3
PatrickC23
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '16 991.1 911 GTS, '16 F85 X5M

Garage List
2013 BMW ///M5  [0.00]
Not to sound like a jerk, but if you drive a $100k car, you should be able to dish out $4-8k for an exhaust, or your priorities might not be straight. I personally don’t feel money should be a decision maker but Im just ticked off in general how so many people get ahead of themselves, then get bailed out, or live in their parents basement and drive a BMW. Ok rant over.

Not wanting to pay $8k for just an exhaust out of principle is another story and I can understand that.

There’s a Cayenne GTS in my garage with a modified exhaust, and on start up its insanely loud - when I hear it, I think of you RPIM5. I love it, but would never happen for me. Im an old 38 I guess, and would be looking for something a little more subdued. Your post ranking the exhausts by sound is VERY helpful should I ever choose to get one.

I just got my break-in service done Monday, and started using Sport Plus more – the valves must open in Sport + b/c I noticed it is immediately louder once I click it on – and oh yeah, finally went past 4500 RPM shifting from 1st to 2nd and that exhaust fart is just awesome. I’ll run stock for a while until I think its too quiet, might never happen though. That Trade+cash for the Akra in the NYC area was extremely tempting Ill have to admit.
      06-13-2013, 10:31 PM   #4
boots
Curve Thrasher
Rep
Drives: 2013 Bmw m5..White/Blk.

[QUOTE=PatrickC23; I"m an old 38 I guess, and would be looking for something a little more subdued.

Ha Ha, 39 is old? I'm 47

Country run
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2013, 10:47 PM   #5
Tom C
Captain
Rep
Drives: M8 GC Comp, Shelby GT500

I think it depends on the quality and materials of the exhaust. The Akra is exceptional for its quality and titanium is uber expensive and very difficult to work with (you can just have a local exhaust shop custom make it). So I can actually justify an exhaust like that. Now some of the other exhausts are made of stainless steel and by the time you price out the whole Catback it comes to $6,500+ which is a bit of a rip off. Probably the biggest rip off is the Hartge muffler delete. $2,700 for a set up that costs literally less than $500 for time and materials (and trust me no R&D is necessary on a muffler delete). Can we all afford that? Sure, but should we just throw money away because we can afford things without doing some due diligence and look for the best value?
Appreciate 0