F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > F30 DIYs and Coding Discussions > Spare tire storage
GetBMWParts

06-11-2013, 12:19 PM   #1
anhizer
Private
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i

Spare tire storage

Hey All,
Just got myself a 2013 335i (sport) and am already concerned about the Runflats/tire availability. I like to be prepared for situations outside of my control, and in the event that I need a spare tire for some reason I am considering buying one (with the jack etc) and keeping it in the car. Unfortunately all of the available options seem to just be thrown in the trunk which looks ugly. I am less concerned with the amount of space it takes up, however that is a concern as well. I was thinking about a way to minimize the "just throw it in the trunk" look while keeping the trunk somewhat usable. I have installed a few stereos in previous cars and one thing I used to do was build false floors to hide amps, wiring etc. Has anyone done this with the spare? I'm thinking I can build a box around the spare and cover it in carpeting and hopefully make it look a little better- I would probably make it easily removable as well in case I needed to bring some more stuff around. I dont think ill raise the whole floor, probably just a section around the spare. I would also make it match the contours of the trunk so that it doesn't look like a box thrown in. The other benefit of the box idea is that I can figure out some way to mount the box to prevent the spare from moving around during turns and such (I saw someone who used tie-straps which is fine for temporary use but, again, looks ugly).

Anyways, appreciate the comments / ideas.
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2013, 03:43 PM   #2
KK328
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F30 328 gracier silver

I hate run flats especially where I live the roads are not that good and my 18's hardly last for 20k km's before I have to change them and in Egypt the run flats are very expensive. I used to have a mini before and after changing 3 sets of run flat I finally ought a spare and changed to normal tiers I used straps but was very ugly looking and messy. A friend of mine has a Mercedes clc and his car comes with a spare that is not inflated and he has a small air pump to inflate the spare when needed off course all of this has compartments for in the trunk unlike ours but I was thinking of giving this a try. I really like your idea of the box if you decide to go through it please take some pics and keep us updated on how practical is it I will also try to get the things from my friends clc and check if they can fit anywhere
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2013, 04:08 PM   #3
anhizer
Private
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i

I have seen those mini spares in some old American cars too and thought about them for this application. It would be interesting to know if the bolt pattern/spacing would line up as you could buy them straight from a wrecking yard or directly from mercedes.

Ill keep you posted on what I do.

Another option that I have considered is buying another wheel and making a nicer enclosure for it to 'show it off' in the trunk. However, I think this approach may be a bit 'bling-y' for me.
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2013, 04:15 PM   #4
1bad335
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2007 335I/ 2012 335I sportline

In my e90 I ditched the RFT's and have done the same on the f30. On the e90 I had a spare from the e60 )5 series which fit the e90 perfectly. I stored it by using the carpeted wheel storage covers that BMW sells and a ratchet strap to keep it in place. I tucked it up into the left corner and it looked ok. The e60 spare was a complete kit which had a tray on top of the spare wheel which had the jack and lug wrench. So, it was all very compact and neat. From what I am told this kit will work on the f30 with a spacer since the brakes are bigger. Still need to test that fit.
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2013, 04:32 PM   #5
KK328
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F30 328 gracier silver

I have seen on eBay spares for f30 I'll try to find the link and paste here on my mini S the spare only went on the back it needed spacers to go on the front but nothing is mentioned about the f30 and the need for spacers
Appreciate 0