E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing / Warranty > My 700 mile Pennzoil synchromesh review

05-25-2013, 08:49 PM   #1
thecadman99
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: e90 330i 6mt spt bk/bk

My 700 mile Pennzoil synchromesh review

I have been wanting to try some different MT fluids for some time now. I'm happy to say that I have very much enjoyed the improved shifting that I have experienced from switching to the Synchromesh fluid. I changed my fluid Thursday (30k miles on old fluid) in preparation for a trip. I noticed an immediate improvement in how easily my car slipped into gear. It wasn't a HUGE, dramatic improvement, but more of a "ahhh, nice" feel.

Where I HAVE noticed a significant improvement is in low speed clutching.
For example when going through a fast food restaurant with double windows (frosty anyone?). Before changing my fluid when I went from the first window to the second I would feel a harsh kind of a "thunk" release when I pushed the clutch in to drop in to neutral when I coasted up to the second window. Kind of like the transmission didn't want to come out of first and it took a little effort to "pop" it out of gear and into neutral. Nothing horrible, but not pleasant either- that is gone now. The car drops smoothly out of gear when I drop it into N while moving.

Changing takes 2 quarts and is as simple as 1. removing the transmission cover, 2. loosening the fill plug, 3. removing the drain plug, 4. replacing the fill plug, 5. filling the transmission with oil (just under 2 quarts, I used an 18" length of tubing connected to the bottle nipple, pointed the bottle down and squeezed away.) 6. replacing the drain plug. Be gentle with the plugs, I think I torqued them to just under 30lbs. I've heard you can use a little telfon tape on the threads for extra leak prevention.

I haven't tried any blends, or Redline fluid so I can't compare (though I have redline in my E36), but I would urge you to try Synchromesh and see what you think. I'm glad I did.