E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing / Warranty > Reset brake pad life when brakes replaced/light wasn't on?

05-25-2013, 11:21 AM   #1
N8N
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 E92 335i 6MT

Reset brake pad life when brakes replaced/light wasn't on?

I just did a full brake job the other day with new sensors and everything... I had no service required indicator but the squeaking of the sensors rubbing on the rotors was driving me nuts, my front pads were thin, and my rear rotors were below spec (and fronts really couldn't be resurfaced.) So I replaced all four pads, rotors, and sensors. And it wasn't hard to convince me to change the brakes because I'm sick of the horrific brake dust of the stock pads tearing up my wheels after only a couple days of driving. Bentley only gives a procedure for cars without iDrive, and it doesn't appear to be working - when I try to scroll through the items the only one that comes up in the IP display is an upcoming vehicle inspection. On the iDrive screen it says I will need front pads in 90K miles but rears in only 35K. This doesn't bother me *that* much, but if there's a way to reset them it would be cool. (I'm assuming that this is inaccurate and that the fronts won't last 90K but the rears will likely last longer than 35K?)

So is there any way to do this? Or did it actually reset itself because I changed the sensors and the mileage estimates just aren't that accurate? I have to admit I don't remember what they read before because I tend to rely on feeling how the car drives and visual inspection to tell me when I need things like brakes...
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2013, 02:32 AM   #2
JurgenS85
Registered
Rep
Drives: E92 320I Executive

You should be able to do it, if you follow these steps:

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=51049
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2013, 07:34 AM   #3
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: The E90 + Z4 Coupe & Z3 R'ster

Quote:
Originally Posted by N8N View Post
I just did a full brake job the other day with new sensors and everything... I had no service required indicator but the squeaking of the sensors rubbing on the rotors was driving me nuts, my front pads were thin, and my rear rotors were below spec (and fronts really couldn't be resurfaced.) So I replaced all four pads, rotors, and sensors. And it wasn't hard to convince me to change the brakes because I'm sick of the horrific brake dust of the stock pads tearing up my wheels after only a couple days of driving. Bentley only gives a procedure for cars without iDrive, and it doesn't appear to be working - when I try to scroll through the items the only one that comes up in the IP display is an upcoming vehicle inspection. On the iDrive screen it says I will need front pads in 90K miles but rears in only 35K. This doesn't bother me *that* much, but if there's a way to reset them it would be cool. (I'm assuming that this is inaccurate and that the fronts won't last 90K but the rears will likely last longer than 35K?)

So is there any way to do this? Or did it actually reset itself because I changed the sensors and the mileage estimates just aren't that accurate? I have to admit I don't remember what they read before because I tend to rely on feeling how the car drives and visual inspection to tell me when I need things like brakes...
I don't have iDrive, so I don't know if the maintenance reset procedure that can be done through the turn signal stalk works on iDrive models. If it does just look in the DIY section for the procedure. I'd reset both brakes if you replaced everything. I'm not quite sure why there is such a difference between the front and rear brakes estimated miles; it shouldn't be that far off unless the previous owner did a brake job on the fronts not too long ago.

Regardless, if you don't reset anything, the next pad replacement will be indicated when the light comes on and stays on. The mileage noted in the CBS is only an estimate. The actual pad replacement is only indicated when the sensor wears out. You need to understand that the system uses the sensors to estimate when the brake pads will wear out. There are two wires in side the sensor, when the first wire brakes the computer notes the mileage and then uses that information to estimate the remaining pad life. When the second wire brakes, the pads need replacement.
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2013, 09:07 AM   #4
N8N
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 E92 335i 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by JurgenS85 View Post
You should be able to do it, if you follow these steps:

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=51049
That's what I did, the only item present is a "vehicle inspection" with a due date of 08/2013.
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2013, 09:16 PM   #5
iTech
Rep
Drives: 2006 BMW 330Xi

I've actually read somewhere that the "squeaking" coming from the rear wheels is due to the springs rubbing against the brake hub.
Appreciate 0