E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > New issue since the BMW...panhandling.

05-20-2013, 11:50 AM   #1
Myrder
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 E92 335i MSport 6MT LMB

Red face New issue since the BMW...panhandling.

Never had this happen in the Camaro but whenever I stop anywhere but work I am immediately accosted for money by homeless....maybe its just a houston issue but its annoying...

Anyone experience this...? Quickest way to say no? Haha
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2013, 12:08 PM   #2
Kernel Kurtz
Major
Rep
Drives: 2020 M240i xDrive

I keep a bunch of loonies (Canadian $1 coins) in my center console for car washes and parking. Usually have some in my pocket as well. If I am approached by someone begging - and if they are coherent and respectful - I usually give them a buck or two.

The way I see it is that money will probably make a lot more difference to their lives than it would have to mine. Also serves as a reminder that my life is pretty damn good and but for chance it could always be a lot, lot worse.

Of course, if they are rude I tell them to fuck off.

Last edited by Kernel Kurtz; 05-20-2013 at 12:53 PM.. Reason: Spelling
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2013, 12:14 PM   #3
Myrder
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 E92 335i MSport 6MT LMB

I gave money in the past. A buck here and there... but I wish I was exaggerating the amount of times I am asked in houston. If I gave everytime I would be joining them within the year.
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2013, 12:29 PM   #4
surfcity335i
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2012 335i Coupe E92

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kernel Kurtz View Post
The way I see it is that money will probably make a lot more difference to their lives that it would have to mine. Also serves as a reminder that my life is pretty damn good and but for chance it could always be a lot, lot worse.
Exactly.
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2013, 01:26 PM   #5
Maestro
Major
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i Sedan, 2021 X3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kernel Kurtz View Post
I keep a bunch of loonies (Canadian $1 coins) in my center console for car washes and parking. Usually have some in my pocket as well. If I am approached by someone begging - and if they are coherent and respectful - I usually give them a buck or two.

The way I see it is that money will probably make a lot more difference to their lives than it would have to mine. Also serves as a reminder that my life is pretty damn good and but for chance it could always be a lot, lot worse.

Of course, if they are rude I tell them to fuck off.
A person who believes in karma...
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2013, 01:42 PM   #6
Benstuck
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335i N55 E92

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7plagues
I gave money in the past. A buck here and there... but I wish I was exaggerating the amount of times I am asked in houston. If I gave everytime I would be joining them within the year.
True dat about houston! I don't give tho. They make more money doing nothing than most people working.
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2013, 04:55 PM   #7
AzureHaze
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335d Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skhmund View Post
True dat about houston! I don't give tho. They make more money doing nothing than most people working.
+1. I never give money to vagrants and don't feel an ounce of guilt or pity when I pass by them. There are outreach programs out there we taxpayers are funding to help give them a second chance in life.
JBD @ 100% | KW ST Coilovers | M3 rep. front bumper | 888Concepts AE Upgrade | GP Thunder 7500k fogs | Cyba 4" carbon tips | BSW Stage 1 | APEX ARC-8 W/ Michelin PSS | Ziza LED interior | Weisslicht LED side lenses | Sprint Booster | Euro side mirrors | M-Sport semi-conversion | Coded | LOTS of carbon fiber
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2013, 05:20 PM   #8
williamf
Audi Convert
United_States
Rep
Drives: Past: 335i Now: TTRS stage 2+

Seriously, giving to a guy standing on the street corner does nothing for Karma. It is harmful in every wayto the panhandler and society in general. All it does is sooth your misplaced sense of guilt.

It is a fact that most panhandlers use the money for drugs or other damaging purposes. If you want to do some good, keep coupons for Quarter Pounders in your car and hand them out.

Being aware of your good fortune is great, but if you want to truly honor your position in life you will attempt to be generous in all ways and because you are educated, carefully consider the positive and negative repercussions of your actions.

I live in Houston too and do you know that panhandling is illegal? We have a bit of a problem that is related to panhandling and that is called car jacking. Watch the 6 p.m. news. About once a week there is a story about someone who was car jacked at a stop light.

It is also a very dangerous and distracting activity. These half conscious people are walking in-between cars, stumbling around the curb, knocking on windows and distracting drivers all around. It is a really bad thing in every way.

I am sure some of you will think I am some ahole for saying this, but the fact is that you would be doing a lot more good by contributing that $1 to a homeless shelter. They have mechanisms in place that actually help people and try to avoid the resources being used to contribute to the underlying problem.
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2013, 05:42 PM   #9
ChuckBMW3
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: f30 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skhmund View Post
I read an article a few years ago stating that a good panhandler can make upwards of 60k/year.

I generally don't give (to panhandlers) either ; the money will most likely go towards drugs or alcohol. If someone's in that desperate of a situation, they should be at a homeless shelter trying to turn their lives around.
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2013, 06:10 PM   #10
kudos
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW M240i

Luckily for me in the city where I live they banned panhandling on the street. Only see that on Sundays now.
      05-20-2013, 06:20 PM   #11
arc1880
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '07 335i (e92)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kudos View Post
Luckily for me in the city where I live they banned panhandling on the street. Only see that on Sundays now.
Ahaha ... I c what you did thar. Where's the like button.
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2013, 06:25 PM   #12
dreamspeed
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 6MT

It seems like all sorts of people (not just what you would traditionally consider "homeless") are asking for a free handout nowadays.

Look, this is America, it is pretty friggin hard to be homeless and out on the street. America is a great place to either be rich OR poor...it's the sad middle class saps that have to do all the heavy lifting.
      05-20-2013, 06:32 PM   #13
StevenY.
///M
United_States
Rep
Drives: 10' SG e92 335i

I remember there were ones that use to come up to your car randomly and start cleaning your windshield with newspaper and some liquid, don't see much panhandlers that come up to the car anymore. One came up to my car while I was leaving Home Depot and I just ignored him.
      05-20-2013, 06:36 PM   #14
Bighorns
bimmer newb
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 335i M-Sport

I gave a guy a dollar once because he said that he wanted it for a beer. Appreciated his honesty!
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2013, 07:11 PM   #15
CarFan
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 X5 3.5 Premium

Garage List
Loonies eh, how can I get a boat load of them here in the U.S.? Imagine giving these out to appease the guys on the street. Meanwhile its later when they realize that its not US currency. Bet ya that would have some karma....
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2013, 08:02 PM   #16
PichaDis11
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 N52

1 Reason I ride with the windows up. And no I have not one tint on the car. But then again I rarely walk with loose change. If I don't have it on me to give I will never feel guilty.

Pull up to the bank the other night. Guy standing by the ATM door looks at me walks over "Hey bro can I have 75 cents?" I said "No, I have none" he goes "Can I get it when you get out?" I stop to think does the ATM give coin change? lol Immediately a cop car rolls slowly pass and I think I was about to get robbed. smh
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2013, 08:34 PM   #17
Kernel Kurtz
Major
Rep
Drives: 2020 M240i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maestro View Post
A person who believes in karma...
I would not say I believe in it, given all the shit that goes on in the world, but I still think the concept offers a good code to live by. But that is just me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by williamf View Post
It is harmful in every wayto the panhandler and society in general. All it does is sooth your misplaced sense of guilt.
No worries, I don't feel guilty.

Quote:
It is a fact that most panhandlers use the money for drugs or other damaging purposes.
I like to indulge myself now and then. I try not to judge.

Quote:
We have a bit of a problem that is related to panhandling and that is called car jacking.
That is quite the relation. Pretty sure none of the beggars I give money to are likely to steal my car. No doubt Houston may be totally different.

Quote:
you would be doing a lot more good by contributing......to a homeless shelter. They have mechanisms in place that actually help people and try to avoid the resources being used to contribute to the underlying problem.
What do you figure is the underlying problem?
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2013, 08:51 PM   #18
Casshern
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2006 325i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bighorns View Post
I gave a guy a dollar once because he said that he wanted it for a beer. Appreciated his honesty!
This. Except I gave him $10. The most honest guy I heard, in his position, in nearly a lifetime.
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2013, 08:57 PM   #19
thenewrick
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 E93 335i Black Sapphire

Giving beggars money is bad for them, you, and your community. Don't reinforce bad behavior to make yourself feel good.
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2013, 09:16 PM   #20
Dark_Knight_335
Came to the N55 Darkside
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335 E93 M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by thenewrick
Giving beggars money is bad for them, you, and your community. Don't reinforce bad behavior to make yourself feel good.
This. Commute in NYC for 10 years- you definitely get it.
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2013, 10:18 PM   #21
williamf
Audi Convert
United_States
Rep
Drives: Past: 335i Now: TTRS stage 2+

Kernal Kurtz: Sorry about the personal "your." I meant to make that a general statement about why some people do things because they feel guilty about being affluent.
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2013, 10:26 PM   #22
alexwhittemore
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2009 Crimson 328i

A dude came up to us the other day at an intersection - nothing to do with being in the BMW, we were just closest and there were only one or two other cars. He told us some AWESOME racy as fuck jokes.

He totally earned my buddy's $2 and whatever change was in my armrest.

EDIT: In general though, I don't ever have cash or change, so it's sort of a non-issue. If I do, sometimes I'll give, sometimes I won't. The worst are when you get the sob stories - I just need bus fare to get to B, or I'm headed to a battered womens' shelter. No you're not, I saw you here two days ago. On the other hand, if I see a guy with an "I want beer" sign, I totally prefer the honesty. And I guess more than that, the lack of that sense of personal invasion you get when people lie to manipulate you. That guy gets change, because fuck it, I'm on my way to the bar anyway. Unless he's being an active nuisance or bothering me or others, obviously.

In general, I don't feel bad about refusing for two reasons. One, if the panhandler is lying to manipulate me, fuck you. Two, busking is lucrative as shit. Not lawyer-lucrative, but definitely don't-need-a-barista-job lucrative. And panhandling isn't usually far behind. They're generally not as strapped-for-cash as they'd have you think.

Last edited by alexwhittemore; 05-20-2013 at 10:32 PM..
Appreciate 0