F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > Sport Plus & other settings
Extreme Powerhouse

05-14-2013, 02:53 PM   #1
derekh929
Major
Scotland
Rep
Drives: AMG C63s Coupe & F56 JCW

Sport Plus & other settings

Ok on F31 330d M Sport with standard sport auto, VSS, M Sport Brakes, and Adaptive. What settings you using.
I have selected Drive train and Chassis so I assume when switch from comfort to sport suspension auto changes to firmer sport basis, also sharper throttle, steering feed back response ,as steering feels more precise, and does the auto box speed up changes and hold revs higher just with going into sport mode, or do you need to work paddles and flick lever to left for that , or is that a faster still setting on box?
Sport plus reduces the traction control but still leaves the stability control?, but does it also change, gear box again or just the same as lever to left, and does it firm suspension further or is sport and comfort the only change?
Does the steering alter again with sport plus to even sharper?
And Dave said the m sport brake peddle feel changes with , the different setting anyone else noticed this, as I have had limited running as due to get car ceramic coated this weekend.
Thanks Derek
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2013, 03:32 PM   #2
NISFAN
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW M2

This mode business is the thing that I least like about the F30.

There isn't a mode that I particularly like, but either drive in COMFORT or SPORT+, no use for the other two. When in SPORT+ I have to shift lever into manual as it annoyingly keeps the revs high even if trying to cruise, so paddles needed to shift up.

I haven't noticed the M Sport brakes sharpening up on Sport, feel the same to me.
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2013, 03:59 PM   #3
derekh929
Major
Scotland
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by NISFAN View Post
This mode business is the thing that I least like about the F30.

There isn't a mode that I particularly like, but either drive in COMFORT or SPORT+, no use for the other two. When in SPORT+ I have to shift lever into manual as it annoyingly keeps the revs high even if trying to cruise, so paddles needed to shift up.

I haven't noticed the M Sport brakes sharpening up on Sport, feel the same to me.
Thanks so in sports plus you shift lever to left , and does suspension alter any or just sport, noticed the high rev thing
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2013, 04:11 PM   #4
NISFAN
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Yes suspension is in 'soft' setting for both Eco and Comfort, then switches to 'stiff' for Sports Sports+. No difference between the two sports modes. Steering same. Throttle feel is obviously soft in ECO, normal in Copmfort and sharper in both Sports settings.

Just to clarify, there are no additional differences between the two Sports modes other than limited DSC in plus.

EDIT: moving lever to left only puts box into Sports mode.
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2013, 04:24 PM   #5
derekh929
Major
Scotland
Rep

Quote:
Yes suspension is in 'soft' setting for both Eco and Comfort, then switches to 'stiff' for Sports Sports+. No difference between the two sports modes. Steering same. Throttle feel is obviously soft in ECO, normal in Copmfort and sharper in both Sports settings.

Just to clarify, there are no additional differences between the two Sports modes other than limited DSC in plus.

EDIT: moving lever to left only puts box into Sports mode.
Thanks that's cleared that up , so box has no difference in speed between comfort and sport just throttle response and holding higher revs in gears, so only putting lever to left speeds up shifts so just two speeds for gear box? Thanks Derek
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2013, 04:37 PM   #6
NISFAN
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by derekh929 View Post
Thanks that's cleared that up , so box has no difference in speed between comfort and sport just throttle response and holding higher revs in gears, so only putting lever to left speeds up shifts so just two speeds for gear box? Thanks Derek
Yes gear changes are faster in Sports, but then again annoying if cruising in Sport as the changes are punchy
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2013, 04:40 PM   #7
Zero71
👽
Scotland
Rep
Drives: X3MC

Derek, I assume Nisfan meant that if you put the car into sport mode then you get sport gearing, sport suspension, sport steering. If you leave the car in comfort but flip to manual you get sport gearing, but in manual mode with steering and suspension remaining in comfort.

I assume that when you flip to manual you also get a sport throttle response? Certainly do on the R32 and I'd expect throttle and gearing to share a profile.
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2013, 04:43 PM   #8
Zero71
👽
Scotland
Rep
Drives: X3MC

I have the same annoyance in my R32 - auto in sport mode holds the revs too much. I always flip to manual when I want sport mode. Will likely do the same with the BMW.
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2013, 04:55 PM   #9
derekh929
Major
Scotland
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by zerolight View Post
Derek, I assume Nisfan meant that if you put the car into sport mode then you get sport gearing, sport suspension, sport steering. If you leave the car in comfort but flip to manual you get sport gearing, but in manual mode with steering and suspension remaining in comfort.

I assume that when you flip to manual you also get a sport throttle response? Certainly do on the R32 and I'd expect throttle and gearing to share a profile.
Just been trying to get my head around all option and links to try, I see limited options as all elements linked together
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2013, 03:01 AM   #10
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

Quote:
Just been trying to get my head around all option and links to try, I see limited options as all elements linked together
When this issue is discussed I note that many users configure the chassis, leave the drivetrain unchecked. This allows changing the suspension modes but gearbox stays the same. Then use the stick to select the sport gearbox mode, when desired.

I run this configuration in my 5-series, use the stick and paddles when I want a faster gearbox. OK, it leaves the throttle response the same but I don't mind that, as it is a constant for each suspension mode.

I have noted that if chassis and drivetrain are checked, when you toggle to sport it changes down a gear, then flick the stick to sport mode and it down changes again, so there are slight differences to using the toggle mode and/or stick.

Also remember you have the option to leave the drivetrain unchecked and have the DTC feature (as sport +) by just pressing the DTC button briefly. Gives you the option for different chassis modes, normal gearbox and DTC.

I also use the paddles just for those changes I want, when the gearbox can't know what I will be doing, then it just reverts back to D when I don't change anymore.

HighlandPete
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2013, 03:25 AM   #11
derekh929
Major
Scotland
Rep

Thanks that explains the change in revs when i was showing the wife between all the modes it was just selecting higher gear and faster changes so seems there may be slight difference between sport and sport+ as per you info below

I have noted that if chassis and drivetrain are checked, when you toggle to sport it changes down a gear, then flick the stick to sport mode and it down changes again, so there are slight differences to using the toggle mode and/or stick.

So you mean select Sport + and have the benefits without the reduced effect of DTC so half way house? will have to try this, thanks

Also remember you have the option to leave the drivetrain unchecked and have the DTC feature (as sport +) by just pressing the DTC button briefly. Gives you the option for different chassis modes, normal gearbox and DTC.
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2013, 03:42 AM   #12
NISFAN
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

It is such a shame BMW didn't adopt the M car operation on the rest of the range.

On my second F30 I have deleted Adaptive suspension so that I can configure the car more to the way I want it. I like steering in comfort mode but chassis in stiff mode and there is no way to separate those.

I can then get in car, leave it in the default comfort setting and turn off DSC and move lever over for manual changes. Already too many button presses in that sequence .....and if I want Sport throttle and quick gear changes have to select sport which then deactivates the fact I have turned off DSC.....drives me mental.
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2013, 04:53 AM   #13
derekh929
Major
Scotland
Rep

Quote:
It is such a shame BMW didn't adopt the M car operation on the rest of the range.

On my second F30 I have deleted Adaptive suspension so that I can configure the car more to the way I want it. I like steering in comfort mode but chassis in stiff mode and there is no way to separate those.

I can then get in car, leave it in the default comfort setting and turn off DSC and move lever over for manual changes. Already too many button presses in that sequence .....and if I want Sport throttle and quick gear changes have to select sport which then deactivates the fact I have turned off DSC.....drives me mental.
Aye ok , so far i do prefer the sport mode on the VSS for feel, but as you say little option to choose each element as you like it
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2013, 05:47 AM   #14
MRPoisson
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW F36 435D M Sport+

Quote:
Aye ok , so far i do prefer the sport mode on the VSS for feel, but as you say little option to choose each element as you like it
+1 I'd like the sport setting just for the steering in every mode

Gone F30 320D 8AT M Sport Mineral grey
Gone E92 320D M Sport Sparkling Graphite
Gone E46 320D M Sport Silver Grey
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2013, 06:11 AM   #15
derekh929
Major
Scotland
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRPoisson View Post
+1 I'd like the sport setting just for the steering in every mode
Only one answer to this wait till new M3 1 year old and trade up
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2013, 06:18 AM   #16
NISFAN
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
I am hoping VSS will improve the steering.

My Servotronic steering feels dead when in Sport mode, stiffer like many seem to associate with 'sporty' feel, but dead when in one position. Not nice at all, and turns sweeping bends into 50p coin jerks.
In contrast in Comfort it is lively and gives good feedback for an assisted system, but it is light in feel.
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2013, 08:02 AM   #17
derekh929
Major
Scotland
Rep

Quote:
I am hoping VSS will improve the steering.

My Servotronic steering feels dead when in Sport mode, stiffer like many seem to associate with 'sporty' feel, but dead when in one position. Not nice at all, and turns sweeping bends into 50p coin jerks.
In contrast in Comfort it is lively and gives good feedback for an assisted system, but it is light in feel.
VSS gives me so far great comuniction with road and medium to light feel in sport and have to say feed back great for me, as you can feel the tyre more on bunps as some grip lost throught the steering wheel and when i tried a couple with standard servotronic for me felt more like of e90 and firmer and lacking some feed back imho, but long lot of drives yet, to see if it is just me trying to justifie my extra £250 i spent
I think you will like the VSS very smoth on corners with extra input, and more pointy with progressive rack, feels like a smaller car feel more like the cooper s that a heavy estate
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2013, 08:21 AM   #18
NISFAN
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
VSS gives me so far great comuniction with road and medium to light feel in sport and have to say feed back great for me, as you can feel the tyre more on bunps as some grip lost throught the steering wheel and when i tried a couple with standard servotronic for me felt more like of e90 and firmer and lacking some feed back imho, but long lot of drives yet, to see if it is just me trying to justifie my extra £250 i spent
I think you will like the VSS very smoth on corners with extra input, and more pointy with progressive rack, feels like a smaller car feel more like the cooper s that a heavy estate
Great, thanks Derek, really looking forward to comparing both
Appreciate 0