M5POST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M5POST - BMW M5 Forum > F10 M5 Forum > Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain Modifications

05-11-2013, 07:03 PM   #1
DrKevM5
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: G05 X5, F87 M2

Any Short Shift Kit Updates?

Hadn't seen any reviews yet. Anyone install it?
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2013, 08:04 AM   #2
hinckley
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: '24 M4C Conv

Got it! I think mine was the first install and have good news and bad news to report.

First the bad. I had the short-throw kit installed by Turner Motorsport. The install took about 3 hours and was pretty straight-forward. But when it was complete, we found the forward gears engaged perfectly, but reverse did not engage completely (it would pop out if too much torque was applied). Turner, IND and Rogue did exactly what you would hope. They talked and worked together and Rogue re-machined one of the parts - in 24 hours!

Now the good news. I've been driving sticks for more than 35 years. I've installed SSKs in BMWs, Porsches and Audis and this one is the best. It has a very solid, machined "click-click" action without being too notchy. I think the throw has been reduced by about 40%. And they've done it without reducing the shifter height, so your hand still drops onto the shift knob as intended.

If you have an M5 6MT (and so by definition, love manuals) this is absolutely a must-have mod. You should have zero hesitation. Rogue and IND have it right now. And when you do it, add IND's tri-color shift boot. It adds a very cool bit of M-flair to the center console (pics here - http://f10.m5post.com/forums/showthr...ghlight=sakhir).

Last edited by hinckley; 05-12-2013 at 08:13 AM..
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2013, 10:32 AM   #3
DrKevM5
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: G05 X5, F87 M2

I assume the machined changes will be on all new kits?
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2013, 12:14 PM   #4
uhn2000
Big K...
Canada
Rep
Drives: M3CS BX7

Quote:
Originally Posted by hinckley View Post
Got it! I think mine was the first install and have good news and bad news to report.

First the bad. I had the short-throw kit installed by Turner Motorsport. The install took about 3 hours and was pretty straight-forward. But when it was complete, we found the forward gears engaged perfectly, but reverse did not engage completely (it would pop out if too much torque was applied). Turner, IND and Rogue did exactly what you would hope. They talked and worked together and Rogue re-machined one of the parts - in 24 hours!

Now the good news. I've been driving sticks for more than 35 years. I've installed SSKs in BMWs, Porsches and Audis and this one is the best. It has a very solid, machined "click-click" action without being too notchy. I think the throw has been reduced by about 40%. And they've done it without reducing the shifter height, so your hand still drops onto the shift knob as intended.

If you have an M5 6MT (and so by definition, love manuals) this is absolutely a must-have mod. You should have zero hesitation. Rogue and IND have it right now. And when you do it, add IND's tri-color shift boot. It adds a very cool bit of M-flair to the center console (pics here - http://f10.m5post.com/forums/showthr...ghlight=sakhir).
Thanks chief.. I have my kit but still waiting on them to update it with the machined part. I can't wait to add this, will literally make this car as close to perfect as a daily sports sedan can get.