M5POST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M5POST - BMW M5 Forum > F10 M5 Forum > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Coding

05-06-2013, 03:17 PM   #1
Type11
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 MCB M5

Spotify and Mog

So I have been getting a little frustrated using spotify from my iphone 5 with the iDrive via bluetooth. A lot of times depending on the ordering it will just not display the titles right or get stuck on a songs info for a long time, sometimes it does not start by itself when the car starts etc. This is frustrating as I really enjoy spotify and have spent quite a bit of time setting up playlists. I have a iphone 4S still around with a data plan so I decided to get the media dock for it and see how spotify worked with it (I did not really want to put my iPhone 5 in the dock each time and it has a case). I had also tried just a USB cable but it seems to always prefer iTunes over spotify when I use the USB cable and it never displays play info for me.

unfortunately using it with the dock was no different than the USB which meant no info and no control (almost like an aux out).

So the last couple days I have been moving all my playlist from spotify to MOG (there is no easy way to do this). Thought I would share my thoughts for others thinking of doing this.

-The MOG integration works great it displays artwork and is not too hard to navigate via the iDrive
-So far I have very few songs that were in spotify lists I could not find on MOG (maybe 7 out of 2300) and I have found things on MOG that were not on spotify. In fact I think MOG might have a catalog that works better for me.
-MOGs radio function is a lot better than spotify
-I think I still like the spotify app way of doing things better not sure I like the play queue idea.
-MOG does 320kbs files for stream and download though in practice not sure I can tell over the spotify 192 I was using but sure some more discerning users will (I am on B&O system)
-I like the standalone PC and Mac apps on spotify better than MOGs webview
-I also can't seem to find a rating meter in MOG like in Spotify to identify the popular songs by an artist
-Most everyone I know is on spotify so sharing music is going to be much tougher

So all in all I think it was worth it since I love to listen to music in my car and this is a better way to do it, though overall I hope spofity makes a bmw car app so I can move back

Anyone try rhapsody?
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2013, 04:58 PM   #2
stealth.pilot
Knight Commander
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2014 911 Turbo S

Garage List
I've never used Spotify, only MOG. I've been very impressed it. To me there is a noticeable difference between 320kbps and 196kbps sources on the B&O. You do hear more detail and it brings out the dynamic range of the B&O.

My understanding is that Spotify does offer 320kbps for download doesn't it?

I think it would be great if spotify offered a proper BMW apps integration like MOG because their app does handle playlists better than MOGs. However the lack of integration is a good reason to choose MOG over Spotify for now.
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2013, 06:13 PM   #3
Elliotdds
Private
Rep
Drives: 2013 M5

I can add my experience here - I do have the B&O system on my car - I really love listening to Sirius/XM. The variety is great. However, listening to music channels sounds ok - until you listen to a proper quality track.

For example - listen to a song on Sirius - download it on MOG (of which I am a subscriber) - and compare. The difference is more than night & day.

Listening to music in the proper audio quality really makes the B&O shine.

I would agree with all who would recommend MOG to you. It works great through the BMW system - & once you try it, you will be hard pressed to ever go back.

I still am a subscriber to Sirius/XM due to some of the news channels, but for music
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2013, 12:12 AM   #4
avlnch
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2013 Individual M5

I always disliked MOG and preferred Spotify. The main reason was the app it's self.. MOG's app doesn't even compare to Spotify.

However, for kicks I decided to try MOG with my M5 and the iDrive application is actually pretty great (and much better than iPhone app).

I have only used MOG for a few hours now and I really liked it. Need to play with it more. As of now my only complaint is the lack of a "go back" option when you click a song in an album. After that song starts playing, you can't go back to pick another song in the album list.

I'll have to transfer my Spotify playlists over to MOG also. Hope it won't take too long or be too overly complicated.

Oh, and the audio quality is incredible.. and so is the B&O system.. fit for each other.

Last edited by avlnch; 05-14-2013 at 12:20 AM..
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2014, 03:33 PM   #5
Eric
Private
Rep
Drives: Numerous

I also have a lot of issues using Spotify with iDrive. Song titles and album art rarely sync after the first song played.

What's weird is the exact same app on the exact same phone works perfectly in our Audi with the MMI.

I tried to explain this to the "BMW genius" when he was blaming the Spotify app for the flaky behavior.

Last edited by Eric; 09-04-2014 at 12:47 AM..
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2014, 03:47 PM   #6
avlnch
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2013 Individual M5

MOG has been discontinued. If you download vyprvpn app on iPhone and connect to Germany VPN, you can use another music app that is exactly like MOG called Deezer which has a very similar iDrive application / interface.

See this thread. If you scroll down to my post it explains how to setup and use Deezer.
http://f10.m5post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=992674