E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > 6 AT issues on my 335i?

05-04-2013, 06:47 PM   #1
jmsent
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: VW GTI

6 AT issues on my 335i?

My ZF auto tranny mechatronic sleeve started leaking, so my Indy (very qualified) mechanic replaced it and also the transmission pan, refilling the transmission with new oil. I've noticed some glitches in shifting and wonder if anyone else with 6AT has experienced this. At light throttle, I sometimes experience a slight uptick in the revs at the 3-4 upshift. I.e., when it shifts, the tach needle jumps up slightly before it drops revs after hitting the next gear. I haven't seen it happen under heavy throttle or in 1-2, 4-5, or 5-6 upshift. I can't remember it happening before the service, but that doesn't mean it wasn't there and I didn't just became more sensitive to it. My indy will eventually have a ZF expert at his shop who will test drive it, but I'm wondering if anyone else has experienced this. I've been driving it this way for a month now and nothing's changed. Again, it's not a major uptick in revs ( no more than 100rpm max) Any ideas? BTW, car is low miles, less than 50K. I've seen posts about the mechatronic valve body failures, and maybe this is what's happening. If it doesn't get worse, I'll likely leave it alone.
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2013, 08:36 PM   #2
fun2drive
BMWCCA 149159
United_States
Rep
Drives: 13 128i Vert/ 14 JGC Diesel

Most likely causes
Adaptation reset because battery disconnected (did you ask your indy if he disconnected the battery)
Lifeguard 6 or Mercon SP not used
ATF not refilled to the correct level (very common mistake)
Those in order would be my guesses since this is a very robust transmission unlikely to cause issues at 50K miles...
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2013, 02:36 AM   #3
fazman
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335 e90

Quote:
Originally Posted by fun2drive View Post
Most likely causes
Adaptation reset because battery disconnected (did you ask your indy if he disconnected the battery)
Those in order would be my guesses since this is a very robust transmission unlikely to cause issues at 50K miles...
Good suggestions
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2013, 07:11 AM   #4
mannytabloid
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i E92

Post/bump for the same problems. Interested if you get it fixed, what the solutions will be.

Sapphire Black, Saddle Brown, Sport, Premium, Cold Weather, OEM Rear Spoiler, M3 Strut Brace, Meyle HD Tie-Rods, M3 Front Control Arms - Upper and Lower, M-Tech Rear Bumper, Painted Side Reflectors, Alpine HID 5300k Angel Eyes
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2013, 07:42 AM   #5
Barefoot-335is
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2012 335is Coupe

Could be a sticking solenoid.
Check this thread about changing oil, mechatronic sleeve and there is another post inside this thread about the solenoid.
http://http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=538296"
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2013, 08:27 AM   #6
jmsent
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeachZHP View Post
Could be a sticking solenoid.
Check this thread about changing oil, mechatronic sleeve and there is another post inside this thread about the solenoid.
http://http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=538296"
Thanks. I fixed the link so others can reference it.

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=538296"

I'll mention the solenoid to the ZF guy when I get to see him and have him drive the car.
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2013, 08:30 AM   #7
jmsent
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mannytabloid View Post
Post/bump for the same problems. Interested if you get it fixed, what the solutions will be.
I'll PM you when I find out. It might be a while. The ZF expert is hard to catch up with.
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2013, 08:41 AM   #8
jmsent
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by fun2drive View Post
Most likely causes

I'm sure there was adaptation reset, but the car doesn't seem to have "re-adapted" after my driving it for well over a month.

I'm also 99.9% sure the proper fluid was used. I asked about this after the fact and the indy said absolutely the correct fluid was used. Indy is in the Knauz family, which owns one of the largest BMW dealerships on the North Shore. He works mostly on BMW's and Mercedes and has a very good reputation.

ATF fluid level rechecked and ok.

Agree that there shouldn't be issues like this at <50000 mi. Could be a problem in the mechatronic connector, a clog in the valve body, etc. But I think I'll need an expert to sort it out. Hopefully not huge $$$
Appreciate 0