BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > New and Preowned M3 Pricing, Ordering, Tracking / European Delivery / Dealer Reviews

Mporium BMW

09-13-2007, 03:21 AM   #1
michal12
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2023 Z4 M40i

Question for EU members: saving € € by buying in the US?

Given the current Euro US dollar exchange rate prices are very good in the US.
I am aware of all the hassle of conversion and VAT and customs duty issues.
But can one avoid paying customs duty (10% from US, I think this is the same in the whole EU) by going for European delivery?? You would pick up the car in Germany and than only pay VAT on top of US price. Is that possible? Would US dealer agree to accept order like this?
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2007, 10:36 AM   #2
CSL-Fanatik
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: e46 M3, e46 M3 CSL

Garage List
2008 BMW M3  [0.00]
2004 BMW M3  [0.00]
It's against the law, as far as I know. BMW USA accepts a European delivery for up to 6 months. The first 12 days have insurance, then you have to pay an extra $30 a day. The maximum thats allowed is 6 months. After that, the car HAS to go to the US.

Thats what I remember, otherwise it would be a great idea.

Best regards,
CSL
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2007, 04:19 AM   #3
Rapido
Registered
Rep
Drives: turbo gasoline

If you take European delivery through US BMW dealer you will get your car on temporary German customs registration plates, and all EU export formalities will already be done. But vehicles designated for the US market do not comply with EU homologation regulations and you will not be able to register the car in the EU! This is the way manufacturers protect themselves (and their price policies in different markets) form re-exporting.
If you want a better deal on your new BMW try contacting Danish dealers (due to extremely high car taxes in Denmark their net prices are somewhat lower).
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2007, 03:28 AM   #4
michal12
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2023 Z4 M40i

But if you manage to make the car comply with EU standards (not too hard, like 2000 EURO) do you think it could stay in EU?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapido View Post
If you take European delivery through US BMW dealer you will get your car on temporary German customs registration plates, and all EU export formalities will already be done. But vehicles designated for the US market do not comply with EU homologation regulations and you will not be able to register the car in the EU! This is the way manufacturers protect themselves (and their price policies in different markets) form re-exporting.
If you want a better deal on your new BMW try contacting Danish dealers (due to extremely high car taxes in Denmark their net prices are somewhat lower).
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2007, 04:37 AM   #5
LJ35DRVR
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: Montego E90 335 6MT

What kind of taxes and EU compliance charges would apply if you bought a US spec M3 that was registered in Germany to a US Military member? I'd consider buying then reselling for a small profit of my own, and still save you a ton, if it can be done legally.
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2007, 06:48 AM   #6
Rapido
Registered
Rep
Drives: turbo gasoline

It would take more than 2000 EUR to make the car compliant with EU homolgation. You would need to change whole bunch of parts (headlights, backlights, seatbelts, tires, windsreen and all other windows, etc). Furthermore, I am not sure if engine mapping is exactly the same.
Appreciate 0