M5POST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M5POST - BMW M5 Forum > F10 M5 Forum > Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain Modifications

05-02-2013, 04:31 PM   #1
rjb5183
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5

F10 Turner Exhaust Review

Hi all,

Installed the Turner straight pipe exhaust (http://www.turnermotorsport.com/p-17...k-exhaust.aspx) yesterday, and wanted to share my thoughts/impressions with the board.

Service - contacted Turner about a week and a half ago with a few questions. Heard back from them very quickly with honest responses to my questions, and I decided to pull the trigger. They shipped same day (even though the time difference gave them a short window to get it out. They even wrote me an email on the delivery date to make sure I received it and was happy with everything. Great team to deal with overall!

Aesthetics/design - I opted for the polished tips, with logo and I think they look great. I know some people aren't big fans of the corsa style, but personally I think they compliment the lines of the factory diffuser quite nicely.

The pipes are basic stainless 304 pipes - so not exactly "works of art" like the Akrapovic, but you only see those if the car is on a lift, so doesn't bother me. The bends where quite smooth and the mounting posts had clean welds. Two points to note:
1) My installer (sleek-sam on the boards, who I strongly recommend for any Norcal guys that don't already go to him - thanks BarryB for the intro!) had to do some minor bending of the mounting posts to get the tips lined up, but that may be because of the prior exhaust I had on the car. Which brings me to point 2.
2) If you had another exhaust installed, you "may" have to either chop more of the OEM pipe, or weld on an additional piece. In my case, the cut points for this exhaust were a bit closer to the rear bumper than the exhaust I was taking off, so we had to get a muffler shop to weld on a small extension of about 3 or 4 inches. Not a big deal, but worth noting.

Sound - I think the pipes sound great! Very aggressive, but not obnoxious at all from inside the cabin. You retain all the factory "pops" but they are considerably louder - especially when coming off the gas at 4K rpm+! Besides stock, I have only heard the E-Race and Supersprint in person, and these pipes are probably very close to the E-Race sound (maybe slightly louder, but a touch less "deep"), but I haven't spent a ton of time listening to the E-Race, so would need to do another comparison. They are considerably louder and more aggressive than the Supersprint.

Cold start is really aggressive, but quiets down after a few seconds.

Low rpm, gentle driving gives off a nice low rumble (similar to an AMG MB - in a way). Throaty with nice resonance - more like the way the car should be from the factory.

High rpm sounds aggressive. The car really starts to scream and will definitely grab attention, but again, inside the cabin is still VERY comfortable. Like many have said, the sound-proofing in this car is too good...

Haven't encountered any drone in a 40+ mile drive home. I tried 5th, 6th and 7th gear cruising and as long as I was around 2k rpm, I didn't hear anything. Like Turner mentioned on their site, if you are bogging the engine (45mph in 7th gear) you may get a little, but that's just a sign of bad driving.

Video Clips - Forgive the quality. I shot them with an iPhone 5. I think they are decent enough, but I'm sure I could do better with a GoPro or better camera - but I don't have one. As others have stated, videos don't really do exhaust sounds justice, you lose a lot of the bass, but you can get a general idea. I live in San Fran, so anyone local in the Bay Area who wants to listen, I am happy to show you in person. I also have a low-rpm sound clip, but need to get the video corrected first (shot upside down, haha)

Cold Start

Revving

Quick Fly-by

Low rpm driving

Happy to answer any other questions you may have.

Rob

Last edited by rjb5183; 05-02-2013 at 11:28 PM..
Appreciate 1
      05-02-2013, 06:52 PM   #2
sleek-sam
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW

Awesome write up. If you need to use a GoPro, let me know when you can stop by again. I have a brand new one that you can use. Its still new, so dont ask me how to use it.
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2013, 08:50 PM   #3
LonghornM5
Rep
Drives: MCB, DCT, Turner, iND, invisbr

waiting for mine to arrive. (Black w/ logo).
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2013, 10:00 PM   #4
rjb5183
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleek-sam
Awesome write up. If you need to use a GoPro, let me know when you can stop by again. I have a brand new one that you can use. Its still new, so dont ask me how to use it.
Sounds good, Sam. We will need to start with figuring out how to properly secure it! Haha
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2013, 11:30 PM   #5
rjb5183
Private First Class
Rep

Updated the original post with the low rpm clip.
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2013, 01:47 AM   #6
Rob///M5
Major
Rep
Drives: 2013 M5 SSII

Garage List
2013 BMW M5  [10.00]
Great write up and videos. Thanks for contributing
      05-03-2013, 10:29 AM   #7
akh23456
All I do is Win... Eat Race Sleep
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 Range 2011 M3 2019 600lt

Garage List
great review i just ordered mine yesterday after your short review thanks alot Rob.

Rs7 : 10.4 133.50 with a 1.7 60ft Toyo R888
F10 M5: 11.308 131.96 with a 1.9 60ft Street Tires
E90 M3: 11.2 126.7 with a 1.8 60ft Street Tires
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2013, 11:44 AM   #8
RPiM5
Major General
Rep
Drives: Mexico Blue F10 M5(Mika)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjb5183 View Post

High rpm sounds aggressive. The car really starts to scream and will definitely grab attention, but again, inside the cabin is still VERY comfortable. Like many have said, the sound-proofing in this car is too good...
Exactly! Even with my RPi GTM setup it's still too quiet in the cabin! The V8 has very different sound characteristics from the V10. In order order for the F10 M5 to sound really loud you have to be at Wide Open Throttle. With the straightpipes the F10 can really roar but only when you step on it. The rest of the time you are driving it sounds pretty good but it's not like the V10 where it's just loud all over the rev range.

Glad that you like the Turner setup though. According to them, they are claiming about 20hp gain from the deletion of the mufflers. I think this is correct. Do you have any plans to get on a dyno? Enjoy in good heath and watch out for cops! Lol!

Appreciate 0
      05-03-2013, 11:57 AM   #9
rjb5183
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPiM5 View Post
Exactly! Even with my RPi GTM setup it's still too quiet in the cabin! The V8 has very different sound characteristics from the V10. In order order for the F10 M5 to sound really loud you have to be at Wide Open Throttle. With the straightpipes the F10 can really roar but only when you step on it. The rest of the time you are driving it sounds pretty good but it's not like the V10 where it's just loud all over the rev range.

Glad that you like the Turner setup though. According to them, they are claiming about 20hp gain from the deletion of the mufflers. I think this is correct. Do you have any plans to get on a dyno? Enjoy in good heath and watch out for cops! Lol!
Thanks! Your car sounds fantastic, by the way.

Haven't thought about doing a dyno run yet. Not so concerned with the power increases since I already struggle to find enough open road around here to get over 5k rpm, haha. You probably do pick up some power with the smoother bends and removing the restriction in the muffler though. You definitely drop some weight with a straight pipe set-up also.

I do like the fact you get a much more pronounced rumble at lower rpms, sounds like a proper V8. Where the stock sounds like a hyrbid 4 cylinder below 3k, haha.

I did manage to get a nice tunnel run in on the way in to work and it sounded awesome.
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2013, 04:18 PM   #10
mwlmd
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Porsche 991 TTS

The most aggressive thing about this system is the price. Way to go Turner. Has anyone looked in side the E-race cans? Are they empty? LOL.
Hers: BMW X3MC
BSM/Black
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2013, 05:16 PM   #11
RPiM5
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwlmd
The most aggressive thing about this system is the price. Way to go Turner. Has anyone looked in side the E-race cans? Are they empty? LOL.
I know! That's what I was wondering too. They sound so good with those huge mufflers on them. Lol!

Appreciate 0
      05-03-2013, 09:15 PM   #12
Tylerstar
Captain
Rep
Drives: Straight Piped F10 M5, GTR

Very nice review and videos, much more aggressive.
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2013, 01:04 PM   #13
nv6425
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X7 Dark Shadow

I just ordered the Turner Motorsport exhaust and am curious if this is something I can DIY?
      05-06-2013, 01:20 PM   #14
mcvaughan
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F87 Competition

Turner did do a good job! Very mean sounding! Nice... Enjoy!
      05-06-2013, 01:27 PM   #15
rjb5183
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by nv6425 View Post
I just ordered the Turner Motorsport exhaust and am curious if this is something I can DIY?
If you have experience installing exhausts, then sure! It just requires you to measure and make a cut in the OEM piping (so you will need a saw). It would be VERY helpful to have a lift. Otherwise you will need to jack the car up pretty high and even then, the sawing could be tricky given the angle. It would also be helpful to have a friend to help you line the tips up.

Rob
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2013, 04:01 PM   #16
nv6425
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X7 Dark Shadow

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjb5183 View Post
If you have experience installing exhausts, then sure! It just requires you to measure and make a cut in the OEM piping (so you will need a saw). It would be VERY helpful to have a lift. Otherwise you will need to jack the car up pretty high and even then, the sawing could be tricky given the angle. It would also be helpful to have a friend to help you line the tips up.

Rob
I'll take that as a "no"!
      05-16-2013, 11:01 AM   #17
LonghornM5
Rep
Drives: MCB, DCT, Turner, iND, invisbr

here's mine.

Got it installed Monday. Some thoughts.

#1 Sounds great. Funny, at first I didn't think it was very loud but they told me to get out of the car to hear it. Kinda interesting.... Now I know why BMW had to pipe in the fake sound.....the sound deadening in the car does such a good job that even muffler delete exhausts don't sound that loud from inside.

#2 The stainless steel is thinner and of different quality than the OEM exhaust. Thus, it "grows" under heat. (about 1/2" in length ) It "shrinks" again when it is cold. I'll try to get and post pics both hot and cold.

#3 It is very loud from a cold start . I'll take a video of my wife's panamera Turbo and compare.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      05-16-2013, 11:23 AM   #18
RPiM5
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by LonghornM5 View Post
Now I know why BMW had to pipe in the fake sound.....the sound deadening in the car does such a good job that even muffler delete exhausts don't sound that loud from inside.
Exactly, exactly, exactly! I'm so happy that more and more people are starting to run muffler deleted exhausts, so that I am not the only one. As I have been saying for months now, the sound proofing in the F10 M5 is too DAMN good! You still can't hear it that much from the inside, which is bad for those who want that race car feeling, but great for those who have wives and kids that don't want to feel uncomfortable whenever they drive/ride in the M5.

Boots, where you at? Are you hearing this brotha?! Haha!

Appreciate 0
      05-16-2013, 07:02 PM   #19
boots
Curve Thrasher
Rep
Drives: 2013 Bmw m5..White/Blk.

I HEAR YA LOUD AND CLEAR MY BROTHER FROM SOMEWHERE OUT IN THE GULF OF MEXICO ON THE DEEPWATER PATHFINDER...lol....Rpi said I should have it before the end of this month so it should be home before I finish this hitch offshore. I have full confindence in shaking the walls down and will post up the video the minute after I install it. I'm sure I will be all over it as I look forward to stomping my foot down on it. You will be the first to know D. Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPiM5 View Post
Exactly, exactly, exactly! I'm so happy that more and more people are starting to run muffler deleted exhausts, so that I am not the only one. As I have been saying for months now, the sound proofing in the F10 M5 is too DAMN good! You still can't hear it that much from the inside, which is bad for those who want that race car feeling, but great for those who have wives and kids that don't want to feel uncomfortable whenever they drive/ride in the M5.

Boots, where you at? Are you hearing this brotha?! Haha!

Country run
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2013, 07:05 PM   #20
boots
Curve Thrasher
Rep

Oh yea, great write up and sounds great. Can't wait til my section 3 gtm arrives

Country run
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2013, 07:10 PM   #21
boots
Curve Thrasher
Rep

Hey, since you are in San Fran, there are some nice roads leading up to Modesto where I used to go for my track meets. Try that drive and it is alittle scenic also.

[/Quote] Not so concerned with the power increases since I already struggle to find enough open road around here to get over 5k rpm, haha. I did manage to get a nice tunnel run in on the way in to work and it sounded awesome.[/QUOTE]

Country run
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2013, 07:46 PM   #22
rjb5183
Private First Class
Rep

Thanks! Will give that a shot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by boots View Post
Hey, since you are in San Fran, there are some nice roads leading up to Modesto where I used to go for my track meets. Try that drive and it is alittle scenic also.

Not so concerned with the power increases since I already struggle to find enough open road around here to get over 5k rpm, haha. I did manage to get a nice tunnel run in on the way in to work and it sounded awesome.[/QUOTE][/QUOTE]
Appreciate 0