F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Tracking / Racing / Autocrossing > DTC, Traction control and Sport/Sport+ mode
GetBMWParts

04-08-2013, 11:59 AM   #1
utenigma
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 F30 335i 8SA M-Adaptive

Garage List
DTC, Traction control and Sport/Sport+ mode

So....

Sport+ has "dynamic" traction control

But if you hold down Traction control button, it turns off all the electronic nannies

When you do that, the sport display shows the car all red, like it would in sport or sport plus

But I was driving around today, flipping the modes back and forth and with traction control completely off the dynamic suspension is definatly in comfort mode (EDIT - it is not, the suspension is definatly in stiff as is the steering - recanted below), the throttle and transmission are in comfort as well.

What do you guys do for autocross? I've been running in Sport+ and I get decent movement on the back end but haven't ever had a spin (and I'm a novice so I think I should have by now )

I don't want the car helping me out, if I F-up, I want to know it so I can learn, but I don't want the steering, suspension, engine and transmission in lazy mode either

What do you guys do? How much does traction control in Sport+ intervene? Will it stop over-rotation, or does it just affect the e-diff?

Last edited by utenigma; 08-06-2013 at 10:27 AM..
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2013, 02:56 PM   #2
tdizzle
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 F80 ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by utenigma View Post
So....

Sport+ has "dynamic" traction control

But if you hold down Traction control button, it turns off all the electronic nannies

When you do that, the sport display shows the car all red, like it would in sport or sport plus

But I was driving around today, flipping the modes back and forth and with traction control completely off the dynamic suspension is definatly in comfort mode, the throttle and transmission are in comfort as well.

What do you guys do for autocross? I've been running in Sport+ and I get decent movement on the back end but haven't ever had a spin (and I'm a novice so I think I should have by now )

I don't want the car helping me out, if I F-up, I want to know it so I can learn, but I don't want the steering, suspension, engine and transmission in lazy mode either

What do you guys do? How much does traction control in Sport+ intervene? Will it stop over-rotation, or does it just affect the e-diff?
If you're pushing it hard, you can definitely kick out the rear end in sport+ (I did it my first time at the track this weekend a couple times in some S curves). I'd say go with sport + solely because turning it all off basically puts you in comfort throttle settings.

Do you have a tune or engine upgrades? I have the JB4 Stage 1 and could definitely spin the car if I got on the throttle too quickly out of a curve (who knew...) in Sport +.
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2013, 05:14 PM   #3
utenigma
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdizzle View Post
If you're pushing it hard, you can definitely kick out the rear end in sport+ (I did it my first time at the track this weekend a couple times in some S curves). I'd say go with sport + solely because turning it all off basically puts you in comfort throttle settings.

Do you have a tune or engine upgrades? I have the JB4 Stage 1 and could definitely spin the car if I got on the throttle too quickly out of a curve (who knew...) in Sport +.
No tune, just stock so far. I've had no problem getting the back to step out and stay there for a bit, just it's never come around on me - and I can't believe it has anything to do with driver ability
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2013, 11:04 PM   #4
buildbright
Major
Rep
Drives: F80 M3 MG

Turn the DSC off then slide the shifter to the left and the transmisson will go into DS mode. When I autocross and drive mine at the track that's what I use. Sport+ is good but your not truely driving the car. Not to mention you hate when you spin just enough the the power gets killed.
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2013, 11:33 PM   #5
utenigma
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by buildbright View Post
Turn the DSC off then slide the shifter to the left and the transmisson will go into DS mode. When I autocross and drive mine at the track that's what I use. Sport+ is good but your not truely driving the car. Not to mention you hate when you spin just enough the the power gets killed.
I agree, but on my car, the dynamic suspension setting is affected as well - when I put it into DSC OFF mode, the struts go all loose and the car rolls like a boat

There really needs to be more options to control this
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2013, 11:43 PM   #6
buildbright
Major
Rep

Quote:
I agree, but on my car, the dynamic suspension setting is affected as well - when I put it into DSC OFF mode, the struts go all loose and the car rolls like a boat

There really needs to be more options to control this
I have the adaptive suspension too and when I turn DSC off the suspension stays in sport. So either it's in your head or you need to take in for repair. Everytime I turn it off the suspension is tight.
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2013, 03:31 PM   #7
scott@bmwhn
Major
Rep
Drives: Msport X3

6MT-adaptive suspension-Sport +

with track wheels & tires I don't get too much interference from DSC

Previous: 20' X3 M40i, 19' 740i Msport, 17' 430i GC, 15' Msport X3 28i, 15' Sportline X1 28i, 13' Msport 328i, 09' Msport 335i, 07' Msport 335i
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2013, 04:25 PM   #8
tdizzle
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I have the adaptive suspension too and when I turn DSC off the suspension stays in sport. So either it's in your head or you need to take in for repair. Everytime I turn it off the suspension is tight.
I feel the same way. It seems when you turn it all off the throttle/suspension feels like comfort settings. I thought there was a thread about this way back when. May have to pull out the manual...
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2013, 04:57 PM   #9
buildbright
Major
Rep

Quote:
I feel the same way. It seems when you turn it all off the throttle/suspension feels like comfort settings. I thought there was a thread about this way back when. May have to pull out the manual...
The throttle mapping is comfort but the suspension is sport. Asked the BMW Performance Center. The instructor laughed when I asked him.
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2013, 06:17 PM   #10
tdizzle
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
The throttle mapping is comfort but the suspension is sport. Asked the BMW Performance Center. The instructor laughed when I asked him.
I'd buy that. The throttle definitely seems more comfort-like, but I didn't really put it through any rigorous testing for the suspension. I just knew I didn't like how far the skinny pedal had to go to make the car um go when compared to sport mode.

Kinda silly the car doesn't just stay in whatever mode you were in when you want to turn everything off.
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2013, 06:21 PM   #11
buildbright
Major
Rep

Quote:
I'd buy that. The throttle definitely seems more comfort-like, but I didn't really put it through any rigorous testing for the suspension. I just knew I didn't like how far the skinny pedal had to go to make the car um go when compared to sport mode.

Kinda silly the car doesn't just stay in whatever mode you were in when you want to turn everything off.
I agree fully!. DSC off should be full on sport.
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2013, 07:35 PM   #12
SergioK
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F30 328i

Quote:
Yep, look for the display to appear as such:

"Sport-oriented chassis settings. DSC deactivated!"
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      04-10-2013, 08:11 AM   #13
mocohead
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '16 M235i 6MT & 12 128i Msport

For autocross I like having everything off. On the track, I thought the car felt better in Sport+ but for the life of me I couldn't explain why that is.
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2013, 10:04 AM   #14
pkimM3r
Banned
Rep
Drives: m3 saloon in granny mode.

Is there a way in the settings to permanently put your suspension in a certain setting? Then with dsc off youll know you are still in the stiffer handling mode. Throttle control i think is best when its in comfort. Just press down a little more.

In mdm i put everything full blast except throttle. Its easier to roll the throttle that way and wont be like using an on and off switch. Its fun but sometimes annoying lol
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2013, 10:11 AM   #15
utenigma
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
So I did some significant "testing" yesterday after Buildbright's post

I put a vibration meter in my car, and recorded running over the same stretch of road in comfort, sport and DSC OFF at various speeds. DSC OFF definatly does have the stiff suspension - so it was in my head.

What DSC OFF doesn't do, is put the transmission in sport, or tune the throttle response to fast

Next autocross I'll be running with DSC OFF - hope I don't hit anything
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2013, 10:32 AM   #16
SergioK
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mocohead View Post
For autocross I like having everything off. On the track, I thought the car felt better in Sport+ but for the life of me I couldn't explain why that is.
I'm wondering if that leaves the e-LSD enabled. Maybe that was it??
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2013, 11:58 AM   #17
tdizzle
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SergioK View Post
I'm wondering if that leaves the e-LSD enabled. Maybe that was it??
I'm thinking the throttle response is the biggest difference. Having stiff suspension, traction off, but comfort throttle just feels weird.

I'd prefer sport+ solely because the nannies aren't terrible but the throttle response is excellent.
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2013, 03:14 PM   #18
SergioK
Second Lieutenant
Rep

I find the sport and sport+ throttle response a bit absurd. I'm used to being able to modulate the throttle when on track and its just too twitchy for my taste, especially for throttle steering.
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2013, 03:40 PM   #19
buildbright
Major
Rep

Quote:
So I did some significant "testing" yesterday after Buildbright's post

I put a vibration meter in my car, and recorded running over the same stretch of road in comfort, sport and DSC OFF at various speeds. DSC OFF definatly does have the stiff suspension - so it was in my head.

What DSC OFF doesn't do, is put the transmission in sport, or tune the throttle response to fast

Next autocross I'll be running with DSC OFF - hope I don't hit anything
Thanks for testing that, I love experiements. I still would like to know why the throttle mapping defaults to comfort. I wonder if the PPK changes this?
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2013, 04:03 PM   #20
heldraget
Sweden
Rep
Drives: BMW 328iAT F31 Mineral Gray

One key benefit with Sport+ with the AT8 is kickdown being disabled, in Sport it's enabled even with shifter in DS mode. Question is, will 'DSC off' mode also disable kickdown?
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2013, 06:23 PM   #21
mocohead
Lieutenant
Rep

For whatever reason I felt like the car was pulling power MORE with everything turned off than in Sport+. It was almost like the car thought - "ok this idiot just shut every safety nanny off...clearly he doesn't have two brain cells to rub together so I had better save him from his own stupidity..." and as a result the DSC still intervened.
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2013, 06:24 PM   #22
mocohead
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SergioK View Post
I find the sport and sport+ throttle response a bit absurd. I'm used to being able to modulate the throttle when on track and its just too twitchy for my taste, especially for throttle steering.
It's not the throttle sensitivity Sergio - you're just not used to that much power
Appreciate 0