F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > AUSTRALIA > What do you look for when picking up new ride?
Studio RSR

04-02-2013, 11:10 PM   #1
screenshot
Private First Class
Australia
Rep
Drives: BMW F80 LCI M3 2015

What do you look for when picking up new ride?

Hello F30 Oz community.

Some of you might be familiar with me. I’ve being waiting for my 328i M Sport very, very patiently since I ordered it in October. Even as I type these words, a liner is carrying this glorious vehicle from Fremantle to Melbourne.

I’m expecting to pick it up first week of May when I get back from overseas. In the meantime, I’ve being thinking about how to prepare for the big day.

So what do you look out for when taking delivery of your brand new F30? Most of us will be extremely excited and that’s precisely I’d like to have a checklist with me so I don’t accidently overlook something and end up going back to the dealership several times in the first month.

Were there things you found later on that could have being inspected or fixed while at the dealership? Paint imperfections, suspension, well known defects etc. An experienced detailer told me to bring a paint cleaner so I can wipe off the wax to check for paint imperfections, swirls etc and if any such is found, immediately demand a fix or refund to cover the cost of a professional detail.

I plan on getting to the dealership first thing in the morning on a weekday so if there are any problems, i can sit around and wait till they fix it! This is mainly due to the dealership being a 1+ hour drive so I expect to turn up drive it away and hopefully never go back there to fix something silly.
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2013, 12:43 AM   #2
MikeVictor
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: anything given a chance

Garage List
Give the car a good look over in the dealership. If there are any obvious problems, they should stand out.

You can check if your car was optioned correctly prior to delivery easily enough (www.bmwvin.com)

Unless something is glaringly obvious, sign the paperwork and go for a good ride somewhere! Your warranty will pick up any major issues.

The important thing is that if you do identify anything, don't sit on it after noticing it. Take it in as soon as you can.
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2013, 01:00 AM   #3
ghettodefendant
Private First Class
Australia
Rep
Drives: F30 328i Sportline

Garage List
2012 BMW 328i  [0.00]
Sounds like you've got it all planned Screenshot. As was mentioned above, good look over and give it a nice decent drive.

Also, I'm not sure if they do this at all dealerships but they may unveil the car to you with a congratulatory stand with your name on it. Feels like you've one a game show haha.
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2013, 01:13 AM   #4
Spikey
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: erratically

Quote:
Originally Posted by screenshot View Post
... <snip> So what do you look out for when taking delivery of your brand new F30? </snip>
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dabaitu View Post
You can check if your car was optioned correctly prior to delivery easily enough (www.bmwvin.com)
^that... make sure you check the order was optioned correctly AND they actually made it to the car you pick up. Sounds crazy but what was optioned doesn't always end up in the car even though it's listed.

Other than that, soak it in. Ask any questions you have... take a few pics and enjoy the ride to your next destination.

When you get home, give it another once over... if there's anything that just doesn't feel right, get in contact with the dealer and get them to sort it out.

Congrats and Enjoy~!!!
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2013, 03:07 AM   #5
Sephanite
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW Z4

dont forget to leave 2 lines out of the dealer. I only left 1 line but still got nods from the salesmen
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2013, 03:18 AM   #6
MikeVictor
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: anything given a chance

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sephanite View Post
dont forget to leave 2 lines out of the dealer. I only left 1 line but still got nods from the salesmen
Which is why we need a LSD to do it properly! Damn e-diff makes it impossible.

Appreciate 0
      04-03-2013, 04:04 AM   #7
J1n
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: R8 V8 '14

Think the 2 links below may help.

Also check for shipping blocks,
-door seals are fitted properly
-check audio blast the speakers abit to see if any are faulty
-rust under seats
-try to check the paint under direct sunlight it shows scratches n stuff clearly
-make em give u the Y cable for free if u dont have extended blutooth

i got like a 500 voucher when i picked up my car, tell em your mate got one no harm lol

and last but not least try not to wet your pants lol

http://www.f30post.com/forums/showth...=751456&page=2

http://www.f30post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=762361
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2013, 07:04 AM   #8
screenshot
Private First Class
Australia
Rep

Thanks for the feedback, they are all noted.

I have extended bluetooth optioned in my car but i can still ask for the Y cable, can't hurt.

I actually bought the car from an out of town dealership about 1.5 hours drive from where i live, therefore i'm not that keen on going back there for warranty fixes.

Does anyone here know if it's possible to buy a brand new BMW from one dealership and then take it to a completely unrelated dealership to claim your warranty??

I just hope they do a good job with the detailing cos I heard that the work done at some dealerships don't stand up to scrutiny i.e. wipe off the fancy wax and check it out under a paint inspection lamp.
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2013, 03:20 PM   #9
beemermans
Private
Rep
Drives: 325i

To be totally honest, if I discovered swirls on my beast when I picked it up I would refuse a detailer from BMW to even touch the car. Would let a pro fix it up. You only have to look at certain cars on detailing websites to see how they are delivered to the customer and a lot of them are horror stories.
The last thing I would do is get them to fix swirls......no chance!
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2013, 05:50 PM   #10
screenshot
Private First Class
Australia
Rep

That’s the one thing I’m concerned about the most. I actually have my own polishing machine and might even consider myself a decent amateur detailer, however I would peeved if I had to redo the entire brand new car with anything but the lightest polish pad.

I’ve seen videos of workers at the BMW plant polishing painted cars just before they exit the factory therefore some of the damage could be attributed to that also. Of course a poorly trained/equipped dealership detailer could just make it worse.

Some people on these forums tell their dealer not to touch their car paint work AT ALL while the detailer I spoke told me to just rock up and inspect it thoroughly and if there’s even a tiny swirl present then ask for a remedy, most likely in the form of a cash reimbursement, or threaten to walk away and not take the car lol. Not sure how well such a plan would work in practice.
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2013, 07:17 PM   #11
kash_0
Private First Class
Australia
Rep
Drives: F30 340i MSport

Quote:
Thanks for the feedback, they are all noted.

I have extended bluetooth optioned in my car but i can still ask for the Y cable, can't hurt.

I actually bought the car from an out of town dealership about 1.5 hours drive from where i live, therefore i'm not that keen on going back there for warranty fixes.

Does anyone here know if it's possible to buy a brand new BMW from one dealership and then take it to a completely unrelated dealership to claim your warranty??

I just hope they do a good job with the detailing cos I heard that the work done at some dealerships don't stand up to scrutiny i.e. wipe off the fancy wax and check it out under a paint inspection lamp.
There is absolutely no problem with getting warranty claims through a different dealership; any dealer will help you out!
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2013, 07:41 PM   #12
J1n
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: R8 V8 '14

Ya.. i wouldnt trust their detailers... I always do a full detail the first week I get it. They probably just use a quik detailer thats it.
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2013, 07:47 PM   #13
screenshot
Private First Class
Australia
Rep

May be I should ask to speak with the dealer's principal detailer, whoever he happens to be and discuss with him about their process. Cos i'm sure that if I speak with the sales person, he will try to reassure me how good their job is, never had a customer complain about paintwork etc etc.

But did he have any customers who knows a thing or 2 about detailing and frequents Bimmerpost? Probably not
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2013, 08:33 PM   #14
David328M-Sport
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: F30 M-Sport 328i Estoril Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by beemermans View Post
I would refuse a detailer from BMW to even touch the car.
Not going to happen if you buy from Stillwell BMW. I tried and they insisted on prepping the car the way they do with glaze. Thankfully no swirls but water marks, rail & environmental dust. Morrie cleaned it all off.
328i M-Sport, Estoril Blue, Carbon XP 35 Tint, front heated seats, black Dakota, Sports Suspension, Anthracite Headliner, HUD, Pro Nav, Sunroof, hk 600w, Bi-Xenon, 19" 403M wheels, Reversing Camera, DAB+, Xenon, BT Ext Connect, MST turbo intake pipe, MST Cold Air Intake, JB4 on Map 2 with Catless DP produces awesome performance in Sport.
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2013, 08:42 PM   #15
screenshot
Private First Class
Australia
Rep

I would expect most dealers to do the "Congratulations, you are a winner" unveiling thing with each brand new purchase. Even my friend who bought a Mazda 3 demo got a bit of hoo-hah when she picked up her car.

For that reason, they would insist with doing the detailing the best way they know how right? Question is, does the workshop know what they are doing?
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2013, 08:43 PM   #16
David328M-Sport
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: F30 M-Sport 328i Estoril Blue

Quote:
I’d like to have a checklist with me so I don’t accidently overlook something and end up going back to the dealership several times in the first month.

Were there things you found later on that could have being inspected or fixed while at the dealership? Paint imperfections, suspension, well known defects etc. An experienced detailer told me to bring a paint cleaner so I can wipe off the wax to check for paint imperfections, swirls etc and if any such is found, immediately demand a fix or refund to cover the cost of a professional detail.

I plan on getting to the dealership first thing in the morning on a weekday so if there are any problems, i can sit around and wait till they fix it! This is mainly due to the dealership being a 1+ hour drive so I expect to turn up drive it away and hopefully never go back there to fix something silly.
Good with the checklist. Go over everything nice and slowly. However, you may very well find something amiss later on. Don't fret. Just have it attended to. That's all you can do.

Don't clean the paint in front of the dealer, in fact, don't do it at all. Let the detailer attend as the entire car WILL absolutely need to be properly detailed completely - at your expense.

No need to demand anything as you will need to be on good terms with your dealer over the warranty years, at the very least. Loan car, etc will be vital for you being over 1 hr away. Stay calm, professional and courteous at all time. If there is a problem, point it out and let the dealership attend to it. Chances are, they will have the car looking nice for delivery. They do this almost every day.

Well known defects are detected after driving, some come to the surface after many kms of driving. Steering, suspension noises etc. Forget it as you can be worried about 100 different issues, which may never be an issue.

Enjoy the car and have it detailed asap. Cheers.
328i M-Sport, Estoril Blue, Carbon XP 35 Tint, front heated seats, black Dakota, Sports Suspension, Anthracite Headliner, HUD, Pro Nav, Sunroof, hk 600w, Bi-Xenon, 19" 403M wheels, Reversing Camera, DAB+, Xenon, BT Ext Connect, MST turbo intake pipe, MST Cold Air Intake, JB4 on Map 2 with Catless DP produces awesome performance in Sport.
Appreciate 0