E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > A5 Quattro Sport 3.0 TDI or 335D M

View Poll Results: Audi A5 3.0 Quattro sport or BMW e92 335D Msport
Audi 4 10.81%
Bmw 31 83.78%
Neither 2 5.41%
Voters: 37. You may not vote on this poll

09-03-2007, 01:17 AM   #1
normanh
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 320si

Garage List
2006 320si  [0.00]
A5 Quattro Sport 3.0 TDI or 335D M

Which one??
Attached Images

09-03-2007, 02:03 AM   #2
Ulrikgm
Private
Rep
Drives: 525d E61 LCI msport

I was in an A5 3.0TDI the other day and I do not get what people are talking about when they say that this car has such a great interior. By Audi standard it sucks. The buttons feels very plastic-like with way to little substance when you push them. The B&O system is also a total let down. The speaker covers are PLASTIC. Not aluminum like in the A8 and like anyone who knows B&O would expect. The fact that the audio does not sound very good is not that surprising considering it is a B&O (all about looks).

One the other side the seats are very cool and look more substantial than the M sport seats. They felt good to site in but I can't really say anything about the real comfort as you need to drive the car for an extended period of time to really know anything about the real comfort level.

Also the A5 3.0TDI was just tested against the BMW 335d E92 in a danish magazine and their conclusion was the following:

"The similarities are many but there are more differences. On the ferry back to Denmark there was no doubt among the 3 guys in the test tema: The superior touring car, that is both fun, comfortable, spacious and strong is the BMW 335d. It is not just the charm of its strength but because it achieves a balance and a sharpness that they can only envy in Ingolstadt."

And other places in the article:
"You do not achieve prestige with an interior that looks cheaper than the inside of an Audi A3."
On the A5:
“Outside the Autobahn the car is not sporty but heavy and easy at the same time. The steering is light and car feels big. Balance is however good, even with the big diesel under the hood. Entertainment you should however look for in other place and a suitable place to look is in the BMW 335d that masters the compromise between the comfort and sharpness to much a larger degree.

On A5 3.0 TDI transmission and engine:

“As we already described the gearing in the A5 is a long shoot from agile and easy to shift. We are used to much better from anything from A3 to TT and A6. Long clutch travel combined with an unnatural long distance between pedals means that the joy of changing gears evaporates quickly.”
“Unfortunately the performance of the engine is not largely more subtle than the gearbox. It is equipped with the latest generation piezoelectric injection system and work by the common rail principal. However it is still noisy as an old taxi (all taxis in Denmark are diesels) and “rough” was mentioned several times after the first test kilometers. At idle it sounds diesel like and this character does not disappear until you reach highway speeds.”

On the 335d engine:

“Even at idle it is hard to hear that the six cylinder engine in the 335d is a diesel and the sound is at no time rough or intrusive inside the car. It just gives off a deep humming sound.”

This magazine does normally like VW/Audi cars…….

Ulrik
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2007, 03:04 AM   #3
Z4 Beemer
Colonel
Scotland
Rep
Drives: 2009 Z4 sDrive 23i

Garage List
2006 E92  [0.00]
2004 Z4 2.2i  [8.00]
I think asking a question like that on a BMW forum you are likely to get a bias towards the BMW.
      09-03-2007, 04:45 AM   #4
dxb335d
The Tarmac Terrorist
England
Rep
Drives: 997.2 GT3

Garage List
BMW kicks its arse performance wise, and looks aswell
      09-03-2007, 05:05 AM   #5
booforty
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Garage List
2008 E92 M3  [0.00]
Neither, I would only consider the S5 or 335i
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2007, 05:51 AM   #6
NFS
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M340i

335d obviously ... it's quicker.

But ... like the modfather I'd get a 335i
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2007, 06:31 AM   #7
BC4J
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F30 328i

Garage List
2007 E90 335d  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulrikgm View Post
I was in an A5 3.0TDI the other day and I do not get what people are talking about when they say that this car has such a great interior. By Audi standard it sucks. The buttons feels very plastic-like with way to little substance when you push them. The B&O system is also a total let down. The speaker covers are PLASTIC. Not aluminum like in the A8 and like anyone who knows B&O would expect. The fact that the audio does not sound very good is not that surprising considering it is a B&O (all about looks).

One the other side the seats are very cool and look more substantial than the M sport seats. They felt good to site in but I can't really say anything about the real comfort as you need to drive the car for an extended period of time to really know anything about the real comfort level.

Also the A5 3.0TDI was just tested against the BMW 335d E92 in a danish magazine and their conclusion was the following:

"The similarities are many but there are more differences. On the ferry back to Denmark there was no doubt among the 3 guys in the test tema: The superior touring car, that is both fun, comfortable, spacious and strong is the BMW 335d. It is not just the charm of its strength but because it achieves a balance and a sharpness that they can only envy in Ingolstadt."

"You do not achieve prestige with an interior that looks cheaper than the inside of an Audi A3."
On the A5:
“Outside the Autobahn the car is not sporty but heavy and easy at the same time. The steering is light and car feels big. Balance is however good, even with the big diesel under the hood. Entertainment you should however look for in other place and a suitable place to look is in the BMW 335d that masters the compromise between the comfort and sharpness to much a larger degree.

“As we already described the gearing in the A5 is a long shoot from agile and easy to shift. We are used to much better from anything from A3 to TT and A6. Long clutch travel combined with an unnatural long distance between pedals means that the joy of changing gears evaporates quickly.”
“Unfortunately the performance of the engine is not largely more subtle than the gearbox. It is equipped with the latest generation piezoelectric injection system and work by the common rail principal. However it is still noisy as an old taxi (all taxis in Denmark are diesels) and “rough” was mentioned several times after the first test kilometers. At idle it sounds diesel like and this character does not disappear until you reach highway speeds.”

On the 335d engine:

“Even at idle it is hard to hear that the six cylinder engine in the 335d is a diesel and the sound is at no time rough or intrusive inside the car. It just gives off a deep humming sound.”

Ulrik
Ulrikgm - thanks for the interesting information. It's good to get an opinion from outside the UK.

Appreciate 0
      09-03-2007, 01:04 PM   #8
steph.uk
325D E92
Scotland
Rep
Drives: 325D Coupe M Sport

BMW no hesitation

The best engine in the world....

ST
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2007, 11:40 PM   #9
normanh
Private First Class
Rep

Garage List
2006 320si  [0.00]
Quote:

On the A5:

On the 335d engine:

Ulrik
Interesting comments but largly incorrect, I have driven both in the recent days and I can say without doubt firstly the Audi is exceptionly quiet as is the BM power wise theres not such a vast difference both throw you back in the seat. As for the interior is there a more bland £40000 car out there than the BM 3 series I mean look at the radio even Ford have left it behind in appearance the A5 comes with the 6" screen standard for your audio and sat nav the hill hold brake is ingenious the sidelights are something everyone will be copying soon. All in all I think on appearance the A5 shades it as for the build quality both are tremendous and come from basically the same stable but sorry guys the BM looks dated by comparison.
      09-04-2007, 05:47 AM   #10
dxb335d
The Tarmac Terrorist
England
Rep
Drives: 997.2 GT3

Garage List
i havent driven the the a5 but i must say if you think that audi is a quick as a 335d then the one yor drove must have been a 330d in drag
      09-04-2007, 10:57 AM   #11
remmib
General
Norway
Rep
Drives: 2013 F10 520d M-Sport

335d m-sport of course

F10 520d M-Sport Alpine White | HRE P43SC 20x9+20x11 | Michelin PSS 255/35+295/30 | KW V3 Coilover | M5 Front Sway Bar + M550d Rear Sway Bar | 3DDesign Front Lip | BMW M Performance CF Spoiler | BMW M Performance Diffuser | BMW M Performance Black Grills | BMW M Performance Pedals |
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2007, 11:57 AM   #12
squeezebm
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Audi

Quote:
Originally Posted by normanh View Post
Interesting comments but largly incorrect, I have driven both in the recent days and I can say without doubt firstly the Audi is exceptionly quiet as is the BM power wise theres not such a vast difference both throw you back in the seat. As for the interior is there a more bland £40000 car out there than the BM 3 series I mean look at the radio even Ford have left it behind in appearance the A5 comes with the 6" screen standard for your audio and sat nav the hill hold brake is ingenious the sidelights are something everyone will be copying soon. All in all I think on appearance the A5 shades it as for the build quality both are tremendous and come from basically the same stable but sorry guys the BM looks dated by comparison.

Appreciate 0
      09-04-2007, 01:23 PM   #13
normanh
Private First Class
Rep

Garage List
2006 320si  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by squeezebm View Post
?????????????????????????? are we not allowed opinions
      09-04-2007, 01:25 PM   #14
squeezebm
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
?????????????????????????? are we not allowed opinions

Chill-out you clown,the meant it was a joke..........
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2007, 01:31 PM   #15
Z4 Beemer
Colonel
Scotland
Rep

Garage List
2006 E92  [0.00]
2004 Z4 2.2i  [8.00]
I thought the colour screen on the A5 was an extra cost option (like the BMW)?
      09-04-2007, 01:41 PM   #16
normanh
Private First Class
Rep

Garage List
2006 320si  [0.00]
Quote:

On the A5:

On the 335d engine:

Ulrik
Auto EXPRESS Review

As standard, the Audi is comfortable, particularly on motorways where it has a quiet, forgiving ride. As for engines, the launch 3.0-litre TDI has been developed, and now delivers more power. It doesn’t feel like a normal diesel – it’s smoother, with good composure and minimal diesel-like rattles. It pulls cleanly from below 1,500rpm and revs to an impressive 5,200rpm. 0-60mph in 6.2 seconds is potent,

the Audi’s cockpit looks and feels unique. But that’s not to say it’s perfect. The new key is rather clumsy, the switches for the electric windows click nastily and the heating controls are fiddly. Nevertheless, the cabin has a quality feel, while the dash’s wraparound effect enhances this and provides a sense of space.

Its arch rival is the BMW 3-Series Coupe – this car is a competitor to that model in absolutely every respect, and you know Audi has benchmarked its Munich counterpart to the nth degree. The Mercedes CLK is an alternative, as is the leftfield Peugeot 407 Coupe.

Opinions opinions where would we be without them
      09-04-2007, 01:43 PM   #17
normanh
Private First Class
Rep

Garage List
2006 320si  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by squeezebm View Post
Chill-out you clown,the meant it was a joke..........
clown!! put the toys back in the pram its past your bedtime hehe hehe
      09-04-2007, 01:44 PM   #18
normanh
Private First Class
Rep

Garage List
2006 320si  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Z4 Beemer View Post
I thought the colour screen on the A5 was an extra cost option (like the BMW)?
no the screen apparently is standard
      09-04-2007, 01:50 PM   #19
Z4 Beemer
Colonel
Scotland
Rep

Garage List
2006 E92  [0.00]
2004 Z4 2.2i  [8.00]
Quote:
no the screen apparently is standard
The starter button (advanced key option) is £495.

I thought the screen only came with the "navigation system with DVD incl. MMI" option, which is £1975. So presumably the screen only displays very basic things without this option?
      09-04-2007, 02:03 PM   #20
squeezebm
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
clown!! put the toys back in the pram its past your bedtime hehe hehe

Your not from Pistonheads originally are you
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2007, 02:13 PM   #21
Ulrikgm
Private
Rep
Drives: 525d E61 LCI msport

Quote:
You can have the color monitor in the Audi then I have to live with the car with the best engine (a lot less vibration from the I6 compared to a V6 engine and more power) and the best handling.

If I must have a color monitor I guess I could get the Pro Nav for the 335d.

Finally I prefer the less messy layout of the BMW interior. There are so many buttons in the Audi just around the gear stick that it reminds me of something made outside Europe. The BMW is in my opinion not bland - it is tight, clean and European. I just do not see how the BMW looks dated.

On the basic build quality I guess they are both very good (the feel of the Audi A5 is IMHO not on the level of the 335d or the Audi A6 for that matter).

The Audi is of course also a very nice car just not as nice as the 335d

Ulrik

PS: The Bemmer is also faster and uses less diesel in the 2008 version.

A5 3.0TDI 335d
0-100km/h 6,6sec 6,1sec
0-200 km/h Numbers not given but another review
found the bemmer 3 sec. faster!
80-120 (5th) 7,5sec 3,9sec
60-100 (4th) 3,8sec 3,0sec
HOWEVER the A5 has shorter breaking distance by almost 2m from 100-0 Km/h (different from test to test but the Audi is always best) which is just not good enough for a BMW (they need to do something about that).

PPS: the right comparison for the A5 3,0TDI is the 330d and it is a little faster (0,2sec-0,3) than the 330d but only marginal from 0-100km/h and not in the 60-100 and 80-120 times. The 330d is however cheaper, handles better and the engine makes less noise and vibrations.
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2007, 03:07 PM   #22
Terza
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92 335d

I've just took delivery of a 335d last friday, and I had to drive almost 700km to my dealer.. I went there with a Q7, fully loaded.. I was thinking to my self how Audi has great interiors, and I was hoping that I won't be disappointed with the 335d's interior.. And in the end me and my whole family prefer the 335d's interior
to the Q7's..

The 335d is terrific, it handles like no Audi i've ever driven (A4 1.9TDI, A6 3.0 TDI quattro, A3 3.2 DSG quattro, Q7 3.0TDI).

The Steptronic in BMW is far superior to the Tiptronic in Audi (not that it matters, the A5 is still manual only).

The A5 looks fantastic, but the other day two different guys in their A5's were just drooling when I was at the lights. Maybe it's just a case of the grass being greener on the other side.

I'm glad i bought a 335d over a A5 3.0TDI, or even an S5. I haven't driven them, but I know how Audi's drive, and I just don't like them.
Appreciate 0