BMW
X1 / X2
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums Off-Topic Discussions Board Photography/Videography D40 vs. XTi on night shots / low light setting

09-01-2007, 05:25 AM   #1
LWL
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: G05 X5

Garage List
D40 vs. XTi on night shots / low light setting

I am trying to decide on either getting D40 or XTi for my first DSLR. The one main concern is the picture quality on a low light/candle/night time setting that D40 would not perform as well. I saw some night time pics of XTi from several members here, and they looked pretty good. Any one has good experience with D40's low light setting ??

Since I am a real beginner, I dont know if I want to spend the extra $200 to go to XTi. But if its worth it, I guess I would just go with it. What do you guys think?

Last edited by LWL; 09-01-2007 at 05:41 AM..
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2007, 07:00 AM   #2
Neema
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: a few BMWs

Its worth it......D40 FTL. Nikons dont hold up as well in the dark and thats well known. Canons have better ISO to noise ratios (they can maintain less noise at higher ISO settings, though I always keep mine on the lowest setting and only SOMETIMES bump it up a notch or two).

LTMW Widebody+1M front bumper+Slek CF Lip|M3 Hood|StopTech BBK|M-Sport Rear Bumper+DD CF Diffuser|Custom Recaro Seats|KW V2|BavX LS3|M3 Side Skirts+Custom CF Lip|BBS CHR 19x10.5+BBS Lugs|LCI Taillights|RD Sport Anti-Sway Bars|GIAC S2|ER Intercooler+CF Shroud+Charge Pipe|Tial BOV|Injen Intake|MS downpipes|Custom Exhaust|BMS Oil Catch Can|M3 DCT wheel+TiD CF Paddles|BMW CF Trunk Spoiler|Aluminum Pedals
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2007, 11:32 AM   #3
LOLrance
The Law.
Taiwan
Rep
Drives: BMW

You cannot judge how a camera performs on low light conditions JUST by the body. Obviously a lens with a high f stop (such as my 17-40 f4) would not perform as great at night as my 50mm f1.4.

I always tell people, these lower end DSLR's are soo close in performance and specs. The only real difference is how they feel in your hand. Go pick both of them up in person and see which one feels more natural when your holding it. In the end, they'll both render pretty much the same photo and are equally great cameras.
      09-01-2007, 12:13 PM   #4
Nikki
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Sepang Z4MC

Yeah everyone argues all the time, but what it really just comes down to is "Are you a Canon guy or a Nikon guy"? Or in this case, girl

Appreciate 0
      09-01-2007, 04:48 PM   #5
Neema
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: a few BMWs

^^^ thats true, and these lower end DSLR's are close in performance but they have their differences, like nikon buying its sensors from sony. And l4wr3nc3 is right about the lenses, matter of fact the lens is probably the most important aspect of a dslr. And nikki is right about seeing which one feels better to you. I personally really didnt like nikons user interface comparing to canons and I did a lot of researching and comparing between the two before finally agreeing upon a Canon. Think of a lens as a camera's eyes........if you dont have nice, crisp, and sharp eye then it doesnt matter how smart or fancy the camera is becuase it's sensor cant see up to its full potential anyway. I tell people to invest in their lenses and not so much the camera body, especially for beginners such myself. I mean sure a higher end dslr can maintain the best levels of quality with higher and higher ISO settings and they usually have full framed sensors instead of cropped ones and sooo on.....but still, in the end, its the lens that all that technology is going to depend on

LTMW Widebody+1M front bumper+Slek CF Lip|M3 Hood|StopTech BBK|M-Sport Rear Bumper+DD CF Diffuser|Custom Recaro Seats|KW V2|BavX LS3|M3 Side Skirts+Custom CF Lip|BBS CHR 19x10.5+BBS Lugs|LCI Taillights|RD Sport Anti-Sway Bars|GIAC S2|ER Intercooler+CF Shroud+Charge Pipe|Tial BOV|Injen Intake|MS downpipes|Custom Exhaust|BMS Oil Catch Can|M3 DCT wheel+TiD CF Paddles|BMW CF Trunk Spoiler|Aluminum Pedals
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2007, 03:10 PM   #6
Bimmer335i07
BK Employee of the month! / Moderator
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i Sedan

Garage List
2007 335i  [0.00]
I'm a Nikon guy! And NIKON D80 FTW!

Sponsored by: Pics of the ---> Barbera Beast <---
Martino Auto Concepts (Like them on Facebook MAC) Factory Trained & Authorized by BMW of North America

Matt@Camber-Toe (Like them on Facebook Camber-Toe)
LuxAngelEyes (Like them on Facebook LuxAngelEyes)
LTBMW (Like them on Facebook LTBMW)
OEMconcepts (Like them on Facebook OEMconcepts)
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2007, 07:54 PM   #7
darkcloud
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 VW JSW

Garage List
2006 325i  [0.00]
I have the D40x and with the little bit that I've used it so far, I love it. Takes great shot and the package lenses(I got the 2 lens kit) are good enough for a beginner. I personally like the feel of the Nikon over the Canon as well. I read every review I could find of the 2(D40/D40x vs. XTi) and no one would give either the definitive "Win", but everyone leans towards the D40x, esp. all the mens mags that I've looked at recently(Men's Health, Maxim, etc all did a write up on the D40x being the hot shit beginner DSLR)

In a Nutshell...

D40x > Xti > D40

retired 06 E90 325i

New: 09 VW Platinum Grey Jetta Sportwagen 2.0T SEL w/DSG, panoramic sunroof and Ipod adapter
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2007, 08:10 PM   #8
Nyulak
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 X3 M40i

Garage List
2009 BMW 535xi  [10.00]
The D40 was cheaper for me, soo that's what I chose. If I ever become proficient and start making money, I would go Nikon D3 for the full frame sensor. This way I could still use the DX lenses, albeit at a lower resolution.

Seeing as I'm not skilled nor do I have $5000 chilling out in my wallet, I guess I can be satisfied with my beginner DSLR.
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2007, 01:44 PM   #9
Sniz
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: e92 335 - gone // e36 M3 turbo

goodluck! Make sure to spend some $$ on a good lens. The 18-200VR lens from Nikon is a GREAT all around lens that you can use for 90% of your shooting.

Take a lot of photos, only way to get better.