E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > Peeling alloy lacquer - will warranty pay?

08-30-2007, 04:12 PM   #1
mgarvey
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Renault Megane

Peeling alloy lacquer - will warranty pay?

One of my alloy wheels is shedding paint/lacquer like a snake sheds its skin.

I've been to the dealer and they say it looks like a stone chip caused the initial break in the coating and therefore the warranty are unlikely to pay up. They took a digital photo and are going to get back to me.

Fixing it is apparently a £70 refurb, so it isn't a big deal and probably not worth arguing the toss, but it seems to me that BMW should've designed the wheels to resist scuffs and stone chips without peeling away.

Has anyone else had this problem and what was the result?
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2007, 04:16 PM   #2
Z4 Beemer
Colonel
Scotland
Rep
Drives: 2009 Z4 sDrive 23i

Garage List
2006 E92  [0.00]
2004 Z4 2.2i  [8.00]
I know there were loads of issues with the 18" star style composite wheels on Z4's doing the same sort of thing. What style wheels do you have? I would agree with you and expect BMW to replace/pay for refurb.
      08-30-2007, 04:31 PM   #3
M3-FAST
Defected to the dark side.....
England
Rep
Drives: BMW M5 LCi

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgarvey View Post

I've been to the dealer and they say it looks like a stone chip caused the initial break in the coating and therefore the warranty are unlikely to pay up. They took a digital photo and are going to get back to me.

Fixing it is apparently a £70 refurb, so it isn't a big deal and probably not worth arguing the toss, but it seems to me that BMW should've designed the wheels to resist scuffs and stone chips without peeling away.

a few years ago toyota had a huge problem with their alloys blistering and peeling - they were replacing alloys within the cars 3 year warranty - my mate had new wheels on his 2yr 10 month old celica!

press BMW - they shouls sort it - all wheels take knocks but this does not mean the lacquer should peel IMO
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2007, 05:04 PM   #4
mgarvey
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

The wheels are 17" 7-spoke, style 158.
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2007, 07:28 AM   #5
silverbmwz3
Colonel
Rep
Drives: X5 g05

Garage List
Quote:

Make a big fuss. I had trouble with some ACS wheels, never did get them fixed under warranty because BMW annoyingly pointed to ACS however the customer service guys intimated that if they were BMW wheels they would've been sorted.

My dealer reckoned he has a 'wheel repairer' sat at his dealership every week for x hours and whether he does 1 wheel or 10 makes no difference to them so you might find your dealership will do something similar. It sounds like it needs relacquering which shouldn't be a massive job - see post on here by Dave with his 45 quid wheel repair!
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2007, 07:46 AM   #6
dxb335d
The Tarmac Terrorist
England
Rep
Drives: 997.2 GT3

Garage List
hope BMW do sort it for you, i think they shoud anyhow
      08-31-2007, 08:29 AM   #7
330cdsport
Right Responsible
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: AW F21 M135i

Garage List
I had the same problem years ago with one of the original E46 18" MV's on my 330d. There was lacquer peeling off around 1/3 of the rim. There was also a stone chip - which may or may not have started it.
The BMW warranty guy quickly looked at it and replaced it with a new alloy no probs. The car was over 1yr old and was an import as well.

I was well pleased with the service, so defo push them for at least a refurb - if not a new alloy.
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2007, 10:40 AM   #8
silverbmwz3
Colonel
Rep
Drives: X5 g05

Garage List
You can also make it the dealer's issue - say that you would expect an alloy to be able to withstand a stone chip and that it is therefore not fit for purpose and you would pursue them under the sale of goods act as the retailer. If you need to take it to that level that is.....
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2007, 12:44 PM   #9
NFS
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M340i

Quote:

Doesn't sound right to me.

Fair enough ... a stone chip might cause some local impact damage. However, wider areas of point should not delaminate.
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2007, 04:09 PM   #10
mgarvey
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

BMW Warranty agreed to pay up with no quibbles
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2007, 04:26 PM   #11
BC4J
Captain