M5POST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M5POST - BMW M5 Forum > F10 M5 Forum > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Coding

02-21-2013, 01:04 PM   #1
nybimmerfan
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 6-Spd Manual MCB M5

Multimedia System decodes/plays 5.1 Channel Audio

I have found out that the Multimedia System in the 2013 M5 can decode and play 5.1 Channel encoded audio. Is it really playing the 5.1 channels or does the system converts/downplays it to 2 channels? I seem to feel some difference and separation in the output sound but it could just be my false perception. Has anybody else experienced or explored this?
      02-21-2013, 02:04 PM   #2
Used2be
Perennial PFC
United_States
Rep
Drives: F90 M5 DG/Aragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by nybimmerfan View Post
I seem to feel some difference and separation in the output sound but it could just be my false perception. Has anybody else experienced or explored this?
To my ear it is giving us the 5.1 soundtrack. I've tried a couple of movies, King Kong and Gladiator in the dash player and they both spread the sound around with distinct separation to the various channels. It will also play DTS music discs, but with the DTS discs I've tried it cannot record them to the hard drive because of copy protection. I'd assume the glove box player would be the same.
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2013, 05:30 PM   #3
Mperial
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M3, 2017 X1

Funny you posted this, I tried this just the other day but didn't notice a difference in the audio quality. I did deduce that the DVD player will only play WAV files, not FLAC, APE, WV, or any other lossless format. Thus, I can only play DVD-Rs in burned in WAV format.
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2013, 12:13 AM   #4
nybimmerfan
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mperial View Post
Funny you posted this, I tried this just the other day but didn't notice a difference in the audio quality. I did deduce that the DVD player will only play WAV files, not FLAC, APE, WV, or any other lossless format. Thus, I can only play DVD-Rs in burned in WAV format.
The BMW M5 multimedia system cannot decode lossless ALAC or lossless FLAC files but is capable of decoding/playing lossless WMA,
2-channel or 5.1-channel files.
      02-22-2013, 12:17 AM   #5
Mperial
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
The BMW M5 multimedia system cannot decode lossless ALAC or lossless FLAC files but is capable of decoding/playing lossless WMA, 2-channel or 5.1-channel files.
Thanks, I didn't know about its capabilities with WMA lossless.
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2013, 11:20 AM   #6
nybimmerfan
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mperial View Post
Thanks, I didn't know about its capabilities with WMA lossless.
Sure, no problem. If you're like me and keep your music collection in ALAC/FLAC and need help/info regarding transcoding, just post the question and I will be more than happy to offer any help. I see that you are also a fellow New Yorker.
      02-22-2013, 01:45 PM   #7
Mperial
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Thanks

Quote:
Sure, no problem. If you're like me and keep your music collection in ALAC/FLAC and need help/info regarding transcoding, just post the question and I will be more than happy to offer any help. I see that you are also a fellow New Yorker.
Thanks again. I am like you; I've converted numerous recordings to lossless format for space saving and ease of use/accessibility. I'm sort of a neophyte about coding so I'm sure I'll have questions from time to time.

Yes, lifelong New Yorker. I'm in the city and I typically avoid Long Island whenever possible except for early morning drives on good roads out east or upstate. Are you planning to attend the meet in March? It starts in western LI and ends out east.
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2013, 03:41 PM   #8
cnicholson
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2013 F10 M5

Best source material I have found are "DVD Audio" discs. Althought car cannot decode the "DVD Audio" format, all such discs that I have found ALSO include DTS 5.1 encoded tracks that are playable in DVD Video mode (just get things going while you are parked). You may need to hit "Option" button, scroll to Audio Settings and select the DTS5.1 track. Switching betwen the PCM-2 track and the DTS5.1 track proves easily that we are getting 5.1 discrete audio. I recommend Beatles Love soundtrack in "DVD Audio" as a demo disc.
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2013, 04:22 PM   #9
nybimmerfan
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cnicholson View Post
Best source material I have found are "DVD Audio" discs. Althought car cannot decode the "DVD Audio" format, all such discs that I have found ALSO include DTS 5.1 encoded tracks that are playable in DVD Video mode (just get things going while you are parked).
Those 5.1 DTS audio tracks could probably be extracted and transcoded to lossless WMA 5.1 which the BMW Multimedia sytem can decode and play. I think they are quite similar/same to the DTS 5.1 movie soundtracks which are easy to extract.
      11-28-2015, 02:31 PM   #10
isakhnov
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: f10 M5 CP - SG/AB

Reviving old thread. I've pulled both 2 ch and 6 ch as flac from my dvd-a and it does sound better with 6ch version. Full support for 5.1 with no down conversion?
Appreciate 0