BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > New and Preowned M3 Pricing, Ordering, Tracking / European Delivery / Dealer Reviews

Mporium BMW

08-26-2007, 07:36 PM   #1
Sick Speed
Speed
Rep
Drives: 2008 335i E92 Coupe

Thumbs down Local BMW Dealer

Yesterday my local BMW dealer told me and I quote..."We are going to tack on $10 to $15,000 above MSRP for the M3."

He then proceeded to brag about how he had recently sold an M6 at $20K above MSRP.

Personally, I do not like any but 1 sales person at my local dealership. When he boasted about his M6 sale $20K above MSRP I told him that I thought that was price gouging and that while I understand the principle of profit I did not agree with his snide delivery and smugness at upcharging so much.

Suffice it to say that he went on to say he would charge me MSRP but that I would be "somewhere" in the list. When I asked him to elaborate he simply said that they want to reserve a select number of M3s that they can sell well above MSRP to "certain buyers" and then to their longer term customers (i.e. me) they would sell at MSRP.

I want the new M3 and will own one but based on this pricks snide remarks and smug attitude I do not want to buy one from his dealership so I am going to drive 50 miles out of the way on Monday to visit with another BMW dealership to see what they would be willing to offer.

Is anyone else aware of what their local dealers are saying regarding upcharging their M3 stock?

SS
      08-26-2007, 07:44 PM   #2
Sage
No Fear
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i RWD

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sick Speed View Post
Yesterday my local BMW dealer told me and I quote..."We are going to tack on $10 to $15,000 above MSRP for the M3."

He then proceeded to brag about how he had recently sold an M6 at $20K above MSRP.

Personally, I do not like any but 1 sales person at my local dealership. When he boasted about his M6 sale $20K above MSRP I told him that I thought that was price gouging and that while I understand the principle of profit I did not agree with his snide delivery and smugness at upcharging so much.

Suffice it to say that he went on to say he would charge me MSRP but that I would be "somewhere" in the list. When I asked him to elaborate he simply said that they want to reserve a select number of M3s that they can sell well above MSRP to "certain buyers" and then to their longer term customers (i.e. me) they would sell at MSRP.

I want the new M3 and will own one but based on this pricks snide remarks and smug attitude I do not want to buy one from his dealership so I am going to drive 50 miles out of the way on Monday to visit with another BMW dealership to see what they would be willing to offer.

Is anyone else aware of what their local dealers are saying regarding upcharging their M3 stock?

SS
I have an official order form/contract from my dealer since Feb 06 for MSRP! Many other have the same deal. Tell this dealer of yours to stop BS you.
      08-29-2007, 09:36 PM   #3
kimi_fan
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 17' X5M/91' 325i

Garage List
2017 X5M  [0.00]
2014 X5 50i MSport  [0.00]
2011 X5 35i SA  [0.00]
2007 X3 3.0si  [0.00]
2007 335i  [0.00]
2003 330Ci  [0.00]
1991 325ic  [0.00]
Anyone remember what happened to Ferrari? They tried the same thing back in the 80's with the release of the F40. Pissed off so many regular Ferrari that all licensed Ferrari dealers (even today) have to sell a Ferrari for sticker.

You should be happy, buying a Ferrari comes with a ton more politics and ass kissing. Well, I have a theory on how they pick the "order" of their lists anyways. Think of the limited production, high demand, and how much the car's after market value is very very inflated...it starts to make sense why certain buyers get the new models first.

At the risk of losing your spot, maybe you should call BMWNA? Although I can somewhat understand the dealer's "previous buyer gets a better spot" mentality I can't agree with increasing the price and seeing who is willing to pay more.
(past) 11' X5 35i SA - Black Saph
(past) 07' X3 3.0si MSport
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2007, 10:06 PM   #4
Davo2003
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 M3 Coupe Jerez and loaded

Quote:

SS
I went by my dealer, they are marking up 5K over MSRP and people are not batting an eye. Supply, demand, local economic situation etc come into play. The economy in South Central Texas is always good, so plenty of cash floating around. People just don't care about the premium, they WANT IT that bad. So yes, some dealers will get MSRP+ with no problem. If people are willing to trample eachother to death for Cabbage Patch dolls, this current M3scenario is perfectly understandable, it's the "American" way. :rocks:
      08-31-2007, 01:35 AM   #5
phoenixbmwlife
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: M235i & G30 540i

Garage List
2014 BMW/M235i  [0.00]
Quote:

SS
I see you're from Florida. Which dealership was this?

Follow me on Insta

https://www.instagram.com/bmwm_life_/
https://www.instagram.com/autogiftua/
https://www.instagram.com/phoenixbmwlife/
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2007, 10:46 AM   #6
nusevad
O! So Sour!!
United_States
Rep
Drives: Fast 240z / Slow M3

Garage List
1971 Datsun 240z  [0.00]
2008 M3  [9.60]
luckily my dealer only sells at MSRP, my sales guy said that a customer of his came to them to get a M6 because he didnt want to pay a ridiculous markup down in Florida. The dude was a really rich old guy, but wuts wrong with picking the best deal? Im sure the old guy didnt get rich by overspending on things throughout his life.
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2007, 11:13 AM   #7
Sick Speed
Speed
Rep
Drives: 2008 335i E92 Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by K3N R3D View Post
I see you're from Florida. Which dealership was this?
Check your PM

SS
      08-31-2007, 11:45 AM   #8
phoenixbmwlife
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: M235i & G30 540i

Garage List
2014 BMW/M235i  [0.00]
Thanx sick speed

Follow me on Insta

https://www.instagram.com/bmwm_life_/
https://www.instagram.com/autogiftua/
https://www.instagram.com/phoenixbmwlife/
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2007, 06:24 PM   #9
lucid
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E30 M3; Expedition

There is no reason to pay more than MSRP for the new M3. There are many dealers across the US who have committed to charging MSRP. My dealer in Boston sells only at MSRP. I was told I could have #11 on the list if I wanted a month ago. Just find yourself another dealer. They are out there. I would also complain to BMW. Yeah, they aren't doing anything illegal, but I don't think BMW would like to hear this story because the dealers represent BMW. It would be another ball game if some independent dealer or individual was doing the same thing.
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2007, 04:08 PM   #10
carnuts3
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 535i

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucid View Post
There is no reason to pay more than MSRP for the new M3. There are many dealers across the US who have committed to charging MSRP. My dealer in Boston sells only at MSRP. I was told I could have #11 on the list if I wanted a month ago. Just find yourself another dealer. They are out there. I would also complain to BMW. Yeah, they aren't doing anything illegal, but I don't think BMW would like to hear this story because the dealers represent BMW. It would be another ball game if some independent dealer or individual was doing the same thing.
I agree. No reason to pay over MSRP. My dealership has the same policy of not charging above MSRP for any vehicle. However, good luck in getting BMW to Listen to complaints about other dealers charging above MSRP. I don't think BMW cares as long as their cars are moving through to the consumer. In any event, these dealers are independents and will charge what the market will bear - and I don't think BMW wants to get in the middle of this issue.... But maybe they should.........
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2007, 09:27 AM   #11
lucid
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by carnuts3 View Post
I agree. No reason to pay over MSRP. My dealership has the same policy of not charging above MSRP for any vehicle. However, good luck in getting BMW to Listen to complaints about other dealers charging above MSRP. I don't think BMW cares as long as their cars are moving through to the consumer. In any event, these dealers are independents and will charge what the market will bear - and I don't think BMW wants to get in the middle of this issue.... But maybe they should.........
They are not exactly independent in the sense that they fly the BMW colors in and out although they are owned by individuals. They do reflect on/manage BMW's public image. If this kind of stuff was happening more frequently, the brand image might be damaged in some way, and BMW might care about that...

When you buy a new car or go in for service, the dealers are worried about how you value your experience, mainly because BMW does phone interviews with people to make sure they are satisfied. In Sickspeed's interaction scenario, there clearly is a highly unsatisfied customer. In other words, too many dealers charging over MSRP for short-term gain might have harmful long-term effects for both the dealers and BMW. That's why many/most(?) BMW dealers are not charging above MSRP.
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2007, 12:08 PM   #12
amsfoto
photographer
Ireland
Rep
Drives: AW e92 335i, JB 135i

When I placed my deposit I didnt ask my salesman about markups. Later that day I called back and asked him and he said that I was going to pay MSRP for the car and not to worry. Should I have gotten something in writing? When it comes time to hand over the check if he puts in a markup I am outta there.
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2007, 01:08 PM   #13
gasman
Rep
Drives: 08 RR Sport SC, 08 AW/FR M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davo2003 View Post
I went by my dealer, they are marking up 5K over MSRP and people are not batting an eye. Supply, demand, local economic situation etc come into play. The economy in South Central Texas is always good, so plenty of cash floating around. People just don't care about the premium, they WANT IT that bad. So yes, some dealers will get MSRP+ with no problem. If people are willing to trample eachother to death for Cabbage Patch dolls, this current M3scenario is perfectly understandable, it's the "American" way. :rocks:
You must be talking about San Antonio! I was on their list for almost a year and realized they were marking up $5K over MSRP. I'll be flying to Houston to pick mine up this spring. Guaranteed 1st allotment and MSRP.
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2007, 04:51 PM   #14
NewhouseEnt
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: none

PURE BS

For every 1 shithead dealer like that, there are 10 others in the local area that will not do this. Only a complete moron would pay $1 over sticker for a car. There are simply too many legit dealers that won't do it, so why do it?
I recently went to Buena Park Buick to look at the Enclave everyone hypes so much. Right on the sticker is says $4999 Market Adjustment, bringing this POS to exactly $50,000. I was blown away. A freakin' Buick SUV marked up? Is this 1984 Texas flat country Mullet having sales tactics right here in 2007 SoCal?
Not only was the interior a POS, but they lost any credibility with me on ANY deal. I mentioned that a loaded Mercedes R350 is a few grand CHEAPER and their retort was "the Enclave is a quality product." No expression on his face... Like an ingrate robot.
I always say call fleet at most any dealerships and you'll normally get the best, most straightforward and quickest deal. (Unless of course the dealership falls into this Market Adjustment crap,) which in case you can then tell the salesman you have a nice knee mat for him to start blowing you from.)
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2007, 12:23 PM   #15
13eastie
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2007 E92 M3

Garage List
Don't pay them a penny extra!

Paying above list price is for mugs.

Think about it, you get NOTHING extra for your money - when it is time to sell, your car will be just the same as the guy who paid list price... except older...

Menawhile you send a big loud message to the dealer asking him to rip you off on every subsequent visit.

I've never heard of this happening in the U.K.
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2007, 12:44 PM   #16
kishg
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2003 540i/6

There is no good reason to pay over MSRP for the new M3. If your dealer is trying to rip you off, complain to BMWNA (probably no use but worth trying) and then find a dealer who will sell at MSRP (even if you have to drive 1000 miles). What better way to break in your new M3?
BMWCCA #360858 SCCA# 374179 NASA # 128290
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2007, 01:03 PM   #17
2002 Tii
Private
Rep
Drives: Cooper S JCW

In certain areas like SOCAL or South FL, dealers are big on ripping people off. You don't have to give in. I heard the same crap from my dealer Vista BMW, so i just put a deposit down with a dealer in Jacksonville at MSRP.
BTW remind these dealers that the suckers that paid the premiums on the M5 or M6 are selling these cars with huge losses
Please remember an M3 is not a Ferrari! before you know it there will be three on every block, Just be patiant.
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2007, 02:59 PM   #18
Mx3
M
Rep
Drives: 08.SpaceGry.DCT.19's,Tech,+

There will be tons of dealers in Northern California that will mark up the M3 and will not lose any business in the process due to market demand and deep customer pockets. When I bought my M3 new in 2003, almost all dealers were marking up by 5k and that's after the M3 had already been out for a few years. I ended up buying my car from a dealership in southern CA. in Palm Springs at MRSP. Yes I had to pay for a flight down there but at least I didn’t give the NA dealerships extra money in their pocket.

BTW...most of the all the Northern CA dealers at that time didn’t hesitate to say you have to pay a premium because high demand and yet not to even try to soften the message or apologize.
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2007, 07:14 PM   #19
lucid
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mx3 View Post
There will be tons of dealers in Northern California that will mark up the M3 and will not lose any business in the process due to market demand and deep customer pockets. When I bought my M3 new in 2003, almost all dealers were marking up by 5k and that's after the M3 had already been out for a few years. I ended up buying my car from a dealership in southern CA. in Palm Springs at MRSP. Yes I had to pay for a flight down there but at least I didn’t give the NA dealerships extra money in their pocket.

BTW...most of the all the Northern CA dealers at that time didn’t hesitate to say you have to pay a premium because high demand and yet not to even try to soften the message or apologize.
Was the 5k markup on the '03 M3 the transaction price? I truly doubt it. Asking price is not the transaction price. I've seen a VW dealer markup every single car in its lot by $3k. Did that mean they were getting what they were asking for? By '03, the M3 craze had died down. There is no way any sane consumer would have paid the additional markup. And, dealers act agressive when such tactics are questioned--just to intimidate the consumer. That doesn't mean anything.
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2007, 07:41 PM   #20
Mx3
M
Rep
Drives: 08.SpaceGry.DCT.19's,Tech,+

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucid View Post
Was the 5k markup on the '03 M3 the transaction price? I truly doubt it. Asking price is not the transaction price. I've seen a VW dealer markup every single car in its lot by $3k. Did that mean they were getting what they were asking for? By '03, the M3 craze had died down. There is no way any sane consumer would have paid the additional markup. And, dealers act agressive when such tactics are questioned--just to intimidate the consumer. That doesn't mean anything.
Of course I understand asking price vs. transaction price. It was early in 03(Feb) and there was still a shortage of M3's, at least in the Bay Area. As hard as it is to believe, at the time most dealers were still stating 5k markup. Now keep in mind I didn't negotiate with all of them, only one who had the color I was looking for. This dealer in particular was marking up the car by 5k and not going down on that number at all, thus the reason why I would not buy.

The markup here in the Bay Area is more common since there are deep pockets here in Silcon Valley. Not all dealers will markup but most probably will. I know of a dealer that is going to fetch at least 10-15k above MSRP for some of the first cars that arrive. The markup will last for some time thereafter.
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2007, 07:50 PM   #21
Mo
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 M6

How are you guys even getting information on the m3's? Here in the LA area dealerships are telling me they have no information and wont receive any until early '08....
      09-19-2007, 08:23 PM   #22
lucid
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mx3 View Post
Of course I understand asking price vs. transaction price. It was early in 03(Feb) and there was still a shortage of M3's, at least in the Bay Area. As hard as it is to believe, at the time most dealers were still stating 5k markup. Now keep in mind I didn't negotiate with all of them, only one who had the color I was looking for. This dealer in particular was marking up the car by 5k and not going down on that number at all, thus the reason why I would not buy.

The markup here in the Bay Area is more common since there are deep pockets here in Silcon Valley. Not all dealers will markup but most probably will. I know of a dealer that is going to fetch at least 10-15k above MSRP for some of the first cars that arrive. The markup will last for some time thereafter.
In that case, a 3-4 hr ride to a dealer outside of the Bay Area would solve the problem. I can't imagine the same was true for the whole state in '03. Here in Boston, there is no markup whatsoever for the E92 M3 as long as you are willing to wait for your spot on the list (#11 if you sign up now). It would be different story if you wanted to get the very 1st car or something, but then one is either too rich to care or too stupid not to wait for his/her turn on the list for another 4-5 months.
Appreciate 0