F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Mechanical Maintenance and TSBs: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing / TSBs and Service Bulletin > Oil Change Did Someone Waited Till 15k
proTUNING Freaks

02-01-2013, 09:47 PM   #1
Robz_328i
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: Bmw 328i 2012 Luxury Executive

Oil Change Did Someone Waited Till 15k

I Was Wondering If Someone Out Here Have Eventually Waited 15k For The Oil Change.

Last Time I Check Someone Said That Its Not The Dinosaur Time Anymore.
As For Me I Think I Will Wait Till 15k Dont Feel Like Paying The Interval.
I Just Wanted To Know If Someone Waited Till 15 K And How Did The Oil Look Like. If Beamer Say Its Ok It Must Be Right Right?
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2013, 04:14 AM   #2
lordg
Private
Rep
Drives: 2012 328i

Yeah I don't feel like paying for the first oil change so I'm leaning towards waiting until I reach 15k.

But I'm not sure if this will have any negative effects on my car. Like you said, if BMW say it's ok, it should be OK... I guess...
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2013, 11:53 PM   #3
shivj
Rep
Drives: 2012 F30

I waited until the first 15k to have my oil change. No issues whatsoever. I drive the car hard on a daily basis, including during the break in period. I'm approaching 17k and the engine is running smooth with no issues whatsoever. Also I periodically check the oil level from idrive and it hasn't fluctuated at all. 15k for oil changes seems to be just fine.
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2013, 01:54 AM   #4
einlanzer
Private
Rep
Drives: F30 328i Sport

I'd say if you leased it and aren't planning on buying it afterwards, there's no reason to. Personally, I went and got an early one done cause I own the damn thing
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2013, 06:43 PM   #5
CHCCubs
Colonel
Latvia
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW 328i xDrive Sport

Depending on how much mileage you put on, the dealer will also perform a free annual oil change even you haven't reached the mileage.

2013 BMW 328i xDrive Sport Line
Mineral Grey on Everest Grey
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2013, 09:56 PM   #6
bcl0328
Major
Rep
Drives: 2012 328i

i waited until 17k. all highway miles.
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2013, 11:03 AM   #7
Turbo00
Private
Rep
Drives: 2013 328i M-Sport

I'm splitting the difference. Changed my oil this weekend at about 6k miles, but I'll probably leave this in until the 'true' service interval @ 15k.

These are supremely easy cars to do an oil change on, and I don't mind 'wasting' $70+/- for the piece of mind.
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2013, 05:41 PM   #8
kevinp
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2012 335 f30, 2010 escalade

I am friends with one of the shop foreman here at one of the bmw's here in edmonton. (20 years of experience) With that being said, his words exactly " The engine oil that is used can definitely handle the 15k interval change. But the filter can't. When we service some vehicles the Oil filter is completely destroyed crumple or enough oil already leaking, obviously this is not told to the costumer. So if you really want to take care of your vehicle and make sure is top shape. Do it every 7500km, whats an extra $100 for your peace of mind later on and on a 50k vehicle. Also will help your resale value later on if you do decide to do it as it will be documented."
Im planning to do it every 5000km since i am anal about maintenance. If you don't want to to take it to the dealership than buy the stuff and do it yourself. Only reason to take it to dealership is that it is recorded into the system and youll have it as records for resale later and it just looks nice to have them from the dealership. Where as if you were to do it yourself, you'd have receipts. So is just preference and diff price range.
BMW M perf. gloss black kidney grills, BMW M perf. Carbon f mirror caps, Superbright led front turn signal white plasma projector, Weather tech digital mats front back and trunk, BMW rear entertainment system, 7000k white 18 smd led foot area,M perf. carbon f shift knob, Front lip carbon f, HID fog lights 6000k h8, front and back reflectors to match ,Pair of carbon f side grills, License plate carbon f. cover and error free smd lighting.
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2013, 07:18 AM   #9
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: The E90 + Z4 Coupe & Z3 R'ster

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinp View Post
I am friends with one of the shop foreman here at one of the bmw's here in edmonton. (20 years of experience) With that being said, his words exactly " The engine oil that is used can definitely handle the 15k interval change. But the filter can't. When we service some vehicles the Oil filter is completely destroyed crumple or enough oil already leaking, obviously this is not told to the costumer. So if you really want to take care of your vehicle and make sure is top shape. Do it every 7500km, whats an extra $100 for your peace of mind later on and on a 50k vehicle. Also will help your resale value later on if you do decide to do it as it will be documented."
Im planning to do it every 5000km since i am anal about maintenance. If you don't want to to take it to the dealership than buy the stuff and do it yourself. Only reason to take it to dealership is that it is recorded into the system and youll have it as records for resale later and it just looks nice to have them from the dealership. Where as if you were to do it yourself, you'd have receipts. So is just preference and diff price range.
I'm sorry, but what he told you is pure BS. I have 2006 E90 325i with 215,000 miles on it. I change the oil per the CBS, which is about every 17,500 miles using BMW oil and a BMW OEM oil filter. I have personally changed the oil 11 times since the pre-paid maintenance service expired. Never once has the oil filter element been clogged, torn, crushed, collapsed, or had a hole in it. The used oil filter element going out has been as strong as the new filter element being installed. I own a second BMW, a 1997 Z3, with the same results, the oil filter element is as good as the day it was installed, just stained with used oil.
Appreciate 0