E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > help: cant decide if i should take the car in

08-17-2007, 12:35 PM   #1
esbezee92
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Montego 328i Coupe

help: cant decide if i should take the car in

so today while driving home (about 30 miles all freeway no traffic) im just about to exit the freeway and i get the service engine soon light, then a second later my rpm's drop to zero and i don't have power steering anymore, the car somehow shut itself off, since the offramp was downhill i was able to roll down and completely turn everything else off and then turn it back on, drove home about ~1 mile and parked it, called the dealer and said they cant book me for a week but i can bring it in and they'll work on it when they get a chance but it might take till Monday or Tuesday, i have another car so if i need to i can take it in, only thing is i have an aero lip that i can pick up from long today and then theres a mini socal meet on sunday that i was planning to go to.

so my question is should i take the car in or should i just trust it to get me through the weekend and allow me to go to the meet and drive the 45ish mins to long's house to pick the lip up, or am i being stupid and i should just drive it to the dealer and forget about my weekend plans.

lastly has anyone heard of this before on a 328i, i searched and all that comes up is 335i's going into limp mode but obviously thats different

thanks for the help
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2007, 02:25 PM   #2
Kerosene Hat
Regional Governor
Rep
Drives: '10 E92 335i

This is a 40k plus car and it shut off on you while driving? I'd be at the dealer first thing in the AM and raise hell till they took the car in for warranty and safety check AND gave me a loaner till it's all said and done. If they can't "get to you" for a week, maybe you should still give them all 5s when they ask for it after your car's checked out...assuming this issue doesn't cause you or other motorists harm in the meantime...

Get it in, get it fixed...to hell with the dealer...this is about safety & warranty!
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2007, 02:44 PM   #3
halB
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: W211 E350 4M MkV GTI 987.2 S

They should be able to find out what's wrong by looking at the fault codes. Get it in before this happens again.

10 987.2 S w/Leather sport seat, Sport Chrono, 19" Carrera S II wheels
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2007, 02:50 PM   #4
esbezee92
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

well i called another dealer (the first one i called wasnt were i bought the car either) and they said the same thing about not getting to it before monday, so im kinda thinking i would rather have the car sit in my garage than on the dealer lot just for my own peace of mind (its hard being away from my baby), has anyone heard of this problem before tho? im kinda thinking to drive it around the neighborhood and see if itll happen again. im a little to scared to take it on the freeway tho for my safety and even for others.
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2007, 04:28 PM   #5
BzsBimmer
Major General
Rep
Drives: '23 G80 FO M3, M3 & MY Tezzy's

try doing a late night drop off and just leave your keys in the slot.
call them the following morning and ask what the status of your car is.

On your vehicle description, state that your car shut off in the middle of the road and you lost steering controls and could have caused a major accident. Tell them that you are going to contact the NHTSB.
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2007, 04:30 PM   #6
esbezee92
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

took the car out for a "spin" around the neighborhood, and theres an empty big street with stop signs every once in a while and i did probably 10 hard 0-70 runs to see if the car would react a certain way, i noticed on the offramp that the car was running a little hot ~240ish which is 30 higher than normal and during these runs it went up to 240 again but nothing bad happened.

anyone have any ideas?

bzsbimmer, i would do what you suggested but i think its kind of pointless because both dealerships were pretty adamant that the car wouldnt be looked at before monday
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2007, 04:32 PM   #7
BMWE90
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 335

perhaps Matt can chime in here...
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2007, 04:51 PM   #8
BzsBimmer
Major General
Rep
Drives: '23 G80 FO M3, M3 & MY Tezzy's

Quote:
Originally Posted by esbezee92 View Post
took the car out for a "spin" around the neighborhood, and theres an empty big street with stop signs every once in a while and i did probably 10 hard 0-70 runs to see if the car would react a certain way, i noticed on the offramp that the car was running a little hot ~240ish which is 30 higher than normal and during these runs it went up to 240 again but nothing bad happened.

anyone have any ideas?

bzsbimmer, i would do what you suggested but i think its kind of pointless because both dealerships were pretty adamant that the car wouldnt be looked at before monday
Well when you do a late night drop off (if your dealer has that option) you leave your keys in a pouch and write down what the problem is.
Park it right in their driveway where the service cars are parked when you wait your turn in line (near their garage).
They HAVE to move your car in the morning and go through the paperwork.
They MAY not get to your car THAT day but it will go in more than likely before your APPT. date.
Your car will store I believe up to 50 starts (when codes are thrown) so you're probably going to be okay with just driving it but for ME, I would not chance my life or the life of others if I didn't feel right about the actions of my car.

This is a bit off topic but I know on some cars (AT) you can be driving and press the "start" button and your car will shut off. What's weird about it is that my 325 used to do it and then when my cars software was updated, now my dash says that I have to be in park to turn off my car. I've tried this on my 335 and I can shut it off without being in park with no problem and I just had my software updated and I bought it after my 325 so go figure that one out.
The only reason I brought that up is because maybe you accidentally touched the button... just a thought
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2007, 05:00 PM   #9
NeTWorKz
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: any

Wouldnt that like..basically...RAPE the engine badly? If let's say your driving(highway or normal-street) and you accidently press the on/off button and your car just turns off...? or would it be "fine"? :S :S
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2007, 05:01 PM   #10
esbezee92
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

i would think that is what happened except i know that the service engine soon light came on for a second or two before anything happened
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2007, 05:02 PM   #11
Mr.Marvelous
the name says it all...
Turkey
Rep
Drives: F30 BMW 320i Sport Line

well automatic cars can also stop from time to time.