F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > AUSTRALIA > Anyone applied Clear Bra on their cars before?
Studio RSR

01-01-2013, 06:01 PM   #1
screenshot
Private First Class
Australia
Rep
Drives: BMW F80 LCI M3 2015

Anyone applied Clear Bra on their cars before?

Hi guys,

My current Sapphire Black E46 has long suffered from stone chipping to the point where I had to claim insurance to get the whole front section repainted.

Since getting repainted, I've found a few tiny chips so obviously it's still a problem. I live in Melbourne's West so there's probably more trucks here than elsewhere in this city. Of course I try to avoid them where possible but it's not the solution.

I've being thinking about getting a clear bra done on my future F30 as soon as I take delivery and here's the areas I'd like protected: Lower bonnet, full front bumper, headlights, side mirrors. The place i'm thinking of getting it done is based in Ringwood. They're called Ozishield.

So has anyone had any experience with this, good or bad. If you can recommend a Melbourne based installer, that would be much appreciated!
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2013, 08:37 PM   #2
minijet
Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: Train

Quote:
Originally Posted by screenshot View Post
Hi guys,

My current Sapphire Black E46 has long suffered from stone chipping to the point where I had to claim insurance to get the whole front section repainted.

Since getting repainted, I've found a few tiny chips so obviously it's still a problem. I live in Melbourne's West so there's probably more trucks here than elsewhere in this city. Of course I try to avoid them where possible but it's not the solution.

I've being thinking about getting a clear bra done on my future F30 as soon as I take delivery and here's the areas I'd like protected: Lower bonnet, full front bumper, headlights, side mirrors. The place i'm thinking of getting it done is based in Ringwood. They're called Ozishield.

So has anyone had any experience with this, good or bad. If you can recommend a Melbourne based installer, that would be much appreciated!
Had mine installed from OziCozi from sydney on a white Q5.
2 years down the road i got it all removed as it looked disgusting and yellowed.

Believe its better on other colours and also needs maintenance ie more than a weekly wash.

Wont be wasting my money on that again.
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2013, 12:21 AM   #3
MikeVictor
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: anything given a chance

Garage List
Mate of mine has it on his E82, which he tracks so it helps absorb some of the grit that gets kicked up when you're behind someone.

It's a trade-off - protection from the sand-blasting that can happen in exchange for a slightly duller look as a result of the film. Would suggest taking the covering to the edge of the panel (e.g. full bonnet rather than half) so you don't get a line that catches wax and other things along it.

Definitely have it installed by a business that knows what it's doing.

Personally, for the cost I'm inclined to pay for a respray or claim on insurance every few years if it gets bad.
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2013, 12:45 AM   #4
J1n
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: R8 V8 '14

Dam that's rough. I love to detail so paint lookin good is always a priority to me. Having said that I just did a 7 hour detail as mrs was at work and the trip to Sydney shit all over the paint, had some micro chips too.

On topic.. It sux to have to deal with paint chips clear bra the bonet would be a good idea. But if your going with wolfs hard body u should be ok. Fingers crossed. Google it there are some good videos online that shows how durable it is. Perhaps that's the way to go.
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2013, 04:33 AM   #5
Tra08R
Money never sleeps
Australia
Rep
Drives: e92 - 2007

Clear bras as in invisible bras?
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2013, 06:53 AM   #6
David328M-Sport
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: F30 M-Sport 328i Estoril Blue

For short term protection, consider this product:
http://www.waxit.com.au/index.php?op...id=37&Itemid=1

Once my E90 was properly cleaned before I sold it, I could see the results of 7 years of city & country driving on the hood without any protection at all. I've learnt.
328i M-Sport, Estoril Blue, Carbon XP 35 Tint, front heated seats, black Dakota, Sports Suspension, Anthracite Headliner, HUD, Pro Nav, Sunroof, hk 600w, Bi-Xenon, 19" 403M wheels, Reversing Camera, DAB+, Xenon, BT Ext Connect, MST turbo intake pipe, MST Cold Air Intake, JB4 on Map 2 with Catless DP produces awesome performance in Sport.
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2013, 07:00 AM   #7
screenshot
Private First Class
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by David328M-Sport View Post
Once my E90 was properly cleaned before I sold it, I could see the results of 7 years of city & country driving on the hood without any protection at all. I've learnt.
Yes that's exactly what my current E46 looked like. Of course much better after the front end respray. When you say "without any protection at all", do you mean NO protection at all, so no sealant or thick coated wax.

Yeah i've seen the videos for Wolfs where they go nuts and strike the bonnet with a hard object. The protected part only leaves some minor scuffing which gives me confidence.

So slight away from the bra product, has anyone got Wolfs hard Body on for at least a month, if so, have you encountered ANY stone chips?
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2013, 03:25 PM   #8
David328M-Sport
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep

Quote:
When you say "without any protection at all", do you mean NO protection at all, so no sealant or thick coated wax.

Yeah i've seen the videos for Wolfs where they go nuts and strike the bonnet with a hard object. The protected part only leaves some minor scuffing which gives me confidence.

So slight away from the bra product, has anyone got Wolfs hard Body on for at least a month, if so, have you encountered ANY stone chips?
Correct. No protection at all over and above the manufacturer's clear coat. I had my car washed from time to time by the hand washing people at Chadstone shopping centre.

Yes, my car has had HB on since early November and it is fine, but I've only travelled in metro Melb. However, Morrie advises that not even HB will protect the car from some stones (obviously). They can and probably will damage the car with any sealant on.

I am taking my car from Melb to Echuca shortly and have been contemplating the Body Wrap.

J1n, can you please elaborate on how your car faired during your Sydney trip. Cheers.
328i M-Sport, Estoril Blue, Carbon XP 35 Tint, front heated seats, black Dakota, Sports Suspension, Anthracite Headliner, HUD, Pro Nav, Sunroof, hk 600w, Bi-Xenon, 19" 403M wheels, Reversing Camera, DAB+, Xenon, BT Ext Connect, MST turbo intake pipe, MST Cold Air Intake, JB4 on Map 2 with Catless DP produces awesome performance in Sport.
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2013, 09:14 PM   #9
J1n
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by David328M-Sport View Post
J1n, can you please elaborate on how your car faired during your Sydney trip. Cheers.
Got one of like 2 micro chips into the clear coats.. i wont be able to repairt it without taking out too much of the clear coat. SO i'll live with it not really noticeable. Quite alot of bug splatter lol.. no paint damage caused here as I used Wolves "The Mask" sprayed it all over the front bonet and mirror caps.. For the most part after doing a full detail yesterday looks brand new..

Main windscreen could probably do with a polish..

I bet the wrap from waxit.com would provide better protection but The Mask was easy application.
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2013, 03:33 PM   #10
David328M-Sport
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by J1n View Post
I bet the wrap from waxit.com would provide better protection but The Mask was easy application.
After further research into Road Wrap, I found mixed reviews and opted for The Mask, my close second choice which, as you stated, is an easy application. I shall spray it on the day before I leave for my road trip. I will take it with me to apply before we come home.
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2013, 04:50 PM   #11
screenshot
Private First Class
Australia
Rep

Look forward to the road test on the Mask. Sounds like a practical solution if it's just a spray on. I'd probably spray it once a month to maintain the stone chip protection.
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2013, 06:17 PM   #12
J1n
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

It worked well for me but i'd say it's quite expensive to use. One bottle costs like $50 and when applied to front bonnet ,front bumper , mirror caps, it can only be used for 3 applications.
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2013, 06:37 PM   #13
David328M-Sport
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Look forward to the road test on the Mask. Sounds like a practical solution if it's just a spray on. I'd probably spray it once a month to maintain the stone chip protection.
I found the Wolf's Chemicals business partner's posts on a detailers' forum site. He states that the Wolf, obviously an industrial chemist, formulated The Mask on an idea about an easy way to protect the car against bugs, minor scratches & tree sap.

So Mr Wolf went ahead and on the very first attempt at formulating The Mask, he got it right. Now it's first & foremost a bug protectant and wherever Mr Wolf & partner live in the Northern Hemisphere, it's designed for the warm, dry bug season. So it's water soluble, which is why is comes off with water - preferably using a pressure washer.

The formula dried to a much harder finish than Mr Wolf intended or expected. It is because of that, the sales pitch for The Mask states it may help in protecting against small stone chips. It was never designed to do it though. Sales pitch also aims it at protecting against mechanics leaning against side panels whilst leaning over the engine bay.

If it rains, some of The Mask may wash off. So it's a very temporary level of protection under limited conditions. Not a product to keep applying to your car and expecting long term results.

I am only using it prior to long country trips and yes, when some service works is scheduled, especially when the service centres lay potentially abrasive cloths over the panels.

Not to be used on glass as it streaks when wet.
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2013, 06:46 PM   #14
David328M-Sport
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by J1n View Post
It worked well for me but i'd say it's quite expensive to use. One bottle costs like $50 and when applied to front bonnet ,front bumper , mirror caps, it can only be used for 3 applications.
$39.95 on CCP website. Yes, it costs for postage but next time use 'dpforum' or 'gt86' for a discount when it asks for it in the promotional code box. Makes it a little better in terms of overall costs.

You get up to 10% discount on certain items ($4.00 on The Mask) and they offer additional promotions on products throughout the year. Just keep an eye on the forums.

Cheers
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2013, 09:01 PM   #15
J1n
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

nice thanks for the heads up
Appreciate 0