F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > AUSTRALIA > New BMW Au Software Campaign
ARMA SPEED

12-17-2012, 05:43 AM   #1
MarkyMarkOz
Enlisted Member
Australia
Rep
Drives: F30 328

New BMW Au Software Campaign

Dropped my car in today for a fix on one of the parking sensors, then got a call from the dealer that my car had been bricked (my description, not theirs) whilst also applying a software update. My car is only coming up to 2 months old so it appears to be a new campaign? I will try to get from the lovely Service Agent what it entails.

Side note - They gave me a new X3 2.8 MSport loaner. Love the suspension package but dislike the HK sound system for the $ extra it costs as an option.
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2012, 02:03 PM   #2
David328M-Sport
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: F30 M-Sport 328i Estoril Blue

Mine's going in shortly for a couple of small issues and the software update as well. I have a loan car for 2 days. Their suggestion in case of what happened to your car. They just have to download the software again.

Slow software downloads have been an issue for years for the dealers.
328i M-Sport, Estoril Blue, Carbon XP 35 Tint, front heated seats, black Dakota, Sports Suspension, Anthracite Headliner, HUD, Pro Nav, Sunroof, hk 600w, Bi-Xenon, 19" 403M wheels, Reversing Camera, DAB+, Xenon, BT Ext Connect, MST turbo intake pipe, MST Cold Air Intake, JB4 on Map 2 with Catless DP produces awesome performance in Sport.
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2012, 02:43 PM   #3
claykin
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: various BMW

How much does BMW charge for the HK option in Australia? Its $875 in the US and IMO quite a bargain. The stock stereo lacks fidelity and if you tried to improve upon it in the aftermarket it would cost way more than $875 to do better.

BTW, HK sounds shines if the equalizer is adjusted properly. I used the same EQ settings I got for my E90 and they work like a charm in my F30. Sounds quite lovely to me.

Good luck getting your car back soon. Dealer has to work with BMW Australia on this because along with getting your computer back up, BMW wants data to try to make sure this type of "brick" doesn't become epidemic.
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2012, 04:26 PM   #4
David328M-Sport
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep

Update:
2 software updates to be implemented.
I will find out what they were upon collection of my car.

I have a basic but very fast 320d loan car.
328i M-Sport, Estoril Blue, Carbon XP 35 Tint, front heated seats, black Dakota, Sports Suspension, Anthracite Headliner, HUD, Pro Nav, Sunroof, hk 600w, Bi-Xenon, 19" 403M wheels, Reversing Camera, DAB+, Xenon, BT Ext Connect, MST turbo intake pipe, MST Cold Air Intake, JB4 on Map 2 with Catless DP produces awesome performance in Sport.
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2012, 10:04 PM   #5
J1n
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: R8 V8 '14

Hmmm how come no one has called me yet to get the software upgrade
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2012, 10:07 PM   #6
fd80
Private
Rep
Drives: 328i

I think they only do it when your car is booked in for other issues, when I had mine booked in they called me to advise they ran out of time to do the software upgrade but from indications what they read out - it was a minor issue for one software upgrade to do with recognizing the key when inside the car when stopped at lights or something.
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2012, 10:40 PM   #7
J1n
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

My dealer... said..

"Hi Jin,

BMW will contact us if your chassis number matches.

No recall to my knowledge."
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2012, 01:13 AM   #8
David328M-Sport
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by J1n View Post
No recall to my knowledge."
Correct. It's not a recall, just an upgrade & changes to certain functions even my service guy didn't really know. So, I'm not sure what they did, but only included it whilst my car was with them for the replacement of rear red reflector.

The car was delivered at 0800 and ready for collection at 1530, so it's probably not a real big deal.

Nothing seems to be different yet.
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2012, 02:14 AM   #9
J1n
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Right.. but i wont be due for a service till 10k >_<
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2012, 08:37 AM   #10
digitallust
Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2019 G20 BMW 330i M-Sport

I had my vehicle in at auto classic from last friday until lunch today for various issues and I asked about software upgrades and he said there were none for mine.. weird.
Retired - 2018 - Range Rover Velar SE D240
Retired - 2015 - Mercedes Benz C250d AMG Line W205
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2012, 03:43 PM   #11
David328M-Sport
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by digitallust View Post
I had my vehicle in at auto classic from last friday until lunch today for various issues and I asked about software upgrades and he said there were none for mine.. weird.
Digitallust, If I could change the subject for a moment please as I didn't want to start a new thread, I had a 320d loan car for a day. Once it gets going, it's mighty fast but I found that when I want to start off the line, there is a 2 second delay before anything happens in the forward motion action.

The car I drove hesitated before launching. Was somewhat disturbing, considering how nice the car is. Smooth as silk starts, instant starts, idles beautifully (ac on, ass off) at the lights. You would never know it's a diesel. Very impressed, except for the distinct delay. Is that the turbo lag?

How are you enjoying the car and its performance?

Back on topic, J1n, so you posted that your dealer did not have any software updates for you. Is that correct?
I seriously don't know what was done, but I was told the ASS would not work until the car rested overnight (8 hrs I was told). Well, at my first lights stop, ASS worked perfectly and did so for the rest of the trip home. So, go figure. If and when I find something, I will post it.
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2012, 11:14 PM   #12
Drk280
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2012 F30

My 320d has no delay in take off that i have noticed, and that's in Eco Pro mode, what mode where you using David ?
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2012, 11:32 PM   #13
David328M-Sport
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drk280 View Post
My 320d has no delay in take off that i have noticed, and that's in Eco Pro mode, what mode where you using David ?
Comfort & Sport. Didn't make any difference to the lag.
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2012, 01:05 AM   #14
digitallust
Lieutenant
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by David328M-Sport View Post
Digitallust, If I could change the subject for a moment please as I didn't want to start a new thread, I had a 320d loan car for a day. Once it gets going, it's mighty fast but I found that when I want to start off the line, there is a 2 second delay before anything happens in the forward motion action.

The car I drove hesitated before launching. Was somewhat disturbing, considering how nice the car is. Smooth as silk starts, instant starts, idles beautifully (ac on, ass off) at the lights. You would never know it's a diesel. Very impressed, except for the distinct delay. Is that the turbo lag?

How are you enjoying the car and its performance?

Back on topic, J1n, so you posted that your dealer did not have any software updates for you. Is that correct?
I seriously don't know what was done, but I was told the ASS would not work until the car rested overnight (8 hrs I was told). Well, at my first lights stop, ASS worked perfectly and did so for the rest of the trip home. So, go figure. If and when I find something, I will post it.
Hi David, Yeah apart from my suspension issues, I am loving the 320d and its performance.
Like all diesels there is only low power between 0-2K RPM and the same after 4K RMP, Turbo doesn't usually kick in until 2K. I drive in Comfort Mode most of the time, and Sport Plus+ and never noticed a concerning lag.

I had a F30 318d loaner the other day and I was expecting something really horrible.. apart from the zero spec level, the car its self was better than what I had imagined it would be, with less torque, bit quick off the mark for a detuned 2.0 diesel.

Might be that your not used to diesel in general, considering you drive a 328.
Not that I am a hoon (most of the time I am not), but I was impressed at the 320d the other day, when it ate a 2012 Mercedes E250 for lunch off the mark, and he was pushing it...

Cheers, Matt
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2012, 01:22 AM   #15
digitallust
Lieutenant
Australia
Rep

Does anyone know if there definitely was a software update for the F30 320d? and what it involved.
I was told definitely no software upgrades for my car, even though I asked them and they had my car for 4 days to fixed three issues. Got it back, told it was all sorted and discovered only one issue was fixed and no software upgrade, not happy jan :P
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2012, 04:54 AM   #16
J1n
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drk280 View Post
I think what David meant was not that there is a lag but more of a slower acceleration and kick in of the turbo especially for a diesel almost .5 of a sec after u floor the pedal.
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2012, 04:56 AM   #17
J1n
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by David328M-Sport View Post
I was hoping that it was the ASS settings to remember last preference. Seems pretty long to have a car for an update.. I have updated the idrive myself tho from the bmw website.. not sure if thats the same thing. Wouldnt think so
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2012, 05:56 AM   #18
David328M-Sport
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Seems pretty long to have a car for an update.
Well, they had to put the reflector on, check the wheel alignment, which was reported to be within spec and the software update.

Depends on what time they actually started working on the car. I received the call at 1530 to say it was ready.

One thing, I told them that in my 2 and a bit months of ownership, the boot did not swing open on 3 occasions. It unlocked and acted like the E90 boot. A gentle lift and the boot swung open on its own. Apparently a part of the software update was to address that issue. I was surprised to hear that one as one would reasonably expect such an issue to be mechanical - springs or similar. Time will tell.
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2012, 05:58 AM   #19
David328M-Sport
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep

Quote:
I think what David meant was not that there is a lag but more of a slower acceleration and kick in of the turbo especially for a diesel almost .5 of a sec after u floor the pedal.
Actually, yes. I remember. The car would move forward rather slowly, then bang! off it went - in a big hurry. I even managed a little wheel spin on one occasion. Nice.
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2012, 03:48 AM   #20
Tra08R
Money never sleeps
Australia
Rep
Drives: e92 - 2007

Depending on which software version u have the 320d does differ in the way it goes off the mark when u put pedal to the metal.

At one stage i was experiencing massive nausea and head ache when he throttle was too sensitive and I felt like I was driving a (exaggreratedly..) rocket. Most times when u accelerate u end up with the DCT flashing...
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2012, 02:28 PM   #21
David328M-Sport
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep

I found one change to the initial settings on my car after the recent software update. The reverse camera doesn't switch on automatically when engaging Reverse. Stillwell BMW are king to change it today.
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2012, 05:38 PM   #22
MarkyMarkOz
Enlisted Member
Australia
Rep
Drives: F30 328

Quote:
Originally Posted by claykin View Post
How much does BMW charge for the HK option in Australia? Its $875 in the US and IMO quite a bargain. The stock stereo lacks fidelity and if you tried to improve upon it in the aftermarket it would cost way more than $875 to do better.

BTW, HK sounds shines if the equalizer is adjusted properly. I used the same EQ settings I got for my E90 and they work like a charm in my F30. Sounds quite lovely to me.

Good luck getting your car back soon. Dealer has to work with BMW Australia on this because along with getting your computer back up, BMW wants data to try to make sure this type of "brick" doesn't become epidemic.
It is about $1500AUD I recall. For that money (and even $875) I can do a speaker/amp upgrade to my sportline that will kick the HK out of the park IMHO. The difference between the SportLine sound and the HK sound was different (better), but for the extra money vs the sound quality increase I cold not hear the value. Just a personal opinion.

BTW, I asked both one of the mechanics and the Service agent, but neither had any details on the SW update, only that it was recent (less than 8 wks old) and was minor so would only be applied to cars in for service, no need to apply as a recall.
Appreciate 0