F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > AUSTRALIA > Wheels COTY review of 3 series
GetBMWParts

12-17-2012, 05:33 AM   #1
CKau
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G01 X3 Xdrive30i M sport

Wheels COTY review of 3 series

When i was researching the 3 series before my decision to buy the 328i, I read the Wheels mag comparo against the A4 and C250 which helped influence my decision to add the adaptive suspension.

I was surprised when the 3 series made it to only round 2 of the Wheel COTY award and not the final 3rd round.

They criticised the standard suspension again in the coty like they did in the comparo, but this time were inconsistent with their praise of the adaptive. Within the same article whilst they lauded it, they also panned the comfort mode for lacking body control and the sports mode being too hard.

Am i missing something, or isnt that the purpose of the adaptive to choose which end of the compromise you want?

Mind you this was inconsistent of their praise in the comparo where they felt the comfort setting was the only setting you needed. Right...

Of course there are tons of other reviews out there that are largely in favour of the new car, but I want to know what Aussie F30 owners with adaptive who have also owned a E90 think? Has the 3 series truly lost the body control that the 3 series is historically known for? I realise that the responses in this forum may be biased, but still hoping to capture all views out there.

My understanding is the sports mode is still a little more comfortable than the E90 but maintains the same level of body control.

Perhaps the only thing i can think of is VW have 3 settings for their adaptive whereas BMW only has 2. Perhaps BMW needs to think about a 3rd goldilocks setting?

thoughts?

Btw I am a soon to be 1 st time owner and i thought the standard suspension handled fine... With the caveat that i did not and possibly could not test drive it in a sweeping mountain pass and did swerves at low speeds in a suburban street!

Anyway, even though they were negative about the standard suspension it felt as though if the adaptive was standard, the F30 might have gine all the way to win the Coty.

The fact that the Toyobaru won, despite the lack of tech advancement, says that they were more biased towards a sporty performance. I think that is at odds with their previous bias towards advancement in automotive technology which i think the 3 series has in spades. I also feel the 3 series, is not only taking car tech forward, but is more balanced.

Put it this way, if you only had the opportunity to run 1 car, which one would you choose ? One that is a focussed driver's car on a track, or one that is a daily commuter, does long distance trips with space at the back and boot, holidays, and has a comfortable interior?

Btw i noticed ine if the revived threads talks about nocking. Dnt now if it is the same rattle that the Wheels test picked up in the steering column?
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2012, 01:57 PM   #2
David328M-Sport
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: F30 M-Sport 328i Estoril Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by CKau View Post
I want to know what Aussie F30 owners with adaptive who have also owned a E90 think? Has the 3 series truly lost the body control that the 3 series is historically known for? I realise that the responses in this forum may be biased, but still hoping to capture all views out there.

My understanding is the sports mode is still a little more comfortable than the E90 but maintains the same level of body control.

thoughts?

Btw I am a soon to be 1 st time owner and i thought the standard suspension handled fine.
Ok, so I can answer you part way as I don't have the Adaptive Suspension. My recently sold E90 had 15mm lowered Sports Suspension & 17" RFTs, which definitely have a harsh but very tight ride. In comparison, my F30's 10mm lowered Sport Suspension give a much smoother ride on 19" RFTs, yet is firm enough to let me take corners at a reasonable speed, when it's safe to have a little fun. I know J1n will concur.

With Adaptive, you also get iDrive adjustment of settings for Sport mode.

I didn't opt for Adaptive because Sport Suspension comes with the M-Sport Package and I thought it better suited to spend my money on other options. In addition, when I ordered the car back in March 2012, the information concerning the Adaptive was not terribly forthcoming, even though some testers (on YouTube) praised it but also praised Sport Suspension.

Yes, Sport mode firms up steering and if you have Adaptive, the suspension setting as well.

I am very happy with Sport Suspension, which is, as far as the information I see and read, is much better than the standard suspension. If your budget or requirements can incorporate the Sport Suspension, then tick the option box. However, if you go for Adaptive, well done!!!
328i M-Sport, Estoril Blue, Carbon XP 35 Tint, front heated seats, black Dakota, Sports Suspension, Anthracite Headliner, HUD, Pro Nav, Sunroof, hk 600w, Bi-Xenon, 19" 403M wheels, Reversing Camera, DAB+, Xenon, BT Ext Connect, MST turbo intake pipe, MST Cold Air Intake, JB4 on Map 2 with Catless DP produces awesome performance in Sport.
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2012, 10:19 PM   #3
J1n
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: R8 V8 '14

Well said David... I CONCUR!

I guess for the most of us who had the more floaty experience with other BMW model suspensions who didn't mind a firmer ride, spent their money on other options instead. I think the body roll is fine in the F30.. and i throw mine around corners quite often. Mind you that me and David have m sport suspensions.

If you like the best of both worlds get it.. alot of ppl like that option.. But I have also read in some forums that it doesnt work very well for some ppl especially when they expect the suspension to soften up going across bumps and it doesnt happen.

Me for one would nvr choose a track car as a daily driver no matter how much I'd love to have a GTR in the garage.. this is a personal preference. I think if wanted the best of both worlds an M4/M5.. but then I can't justify the cost.
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2012, 01:46 AM   #4
MikeVictor
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: anything given a chance

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by CKau View Post
Am i missing something, or isnt that the purpose of the adaptive to choose which end of the compromise you want?
No you're spot on.

In my view Adaptive is a must have irrespective of trim. Being able to toggle between Comfort, Sport (which I can configure to suspension and throttle map or just suspension) and Sport+ (Firmest setting, Sport choices plus DTC) let's me drive to suit the drive, so to speak.
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2012, 02:08 AM   #5
J1n
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: R8 V8 '14

Dabaitu.. do you reckon it goes any further than the sports suspensions?
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2012, 10:29 PM   #6
Sephanite
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW Z4

Wheels COTY said my previous z4 was going to be BMW's biggest disappointment. The looks were not futuristic and was something BMW wish never came about into production. Now every car has those non futuristic lines.
Appreciate 0
      12-25-2012, 07:21 AM   #7
Drk280
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2012 F30

Adaptive in comfort does an amazing job in absorbing road irregularities. Tested it on Friday on a nasty back road and it was as soft as a Merc. If you do add adaptive also add VSS, both options compliment each other well imo. You will not regret adaptive.
Appreciate 0
      12-25-2012, 08:02 PM   #8
MikeVictor
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: anything given a chance

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sephanite View Post
Wheels COTY said my previous z4 was going to be BMW's biggest disappointment. The looks were not futuristic and was something BMW wish never came about into production. Now every car has those non futuristic lines.
Z4's a great looking car.
Appreciate 0