F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics > HK Optimal EQ Settings ???
Studio RSR

12-15-2012, 03:21 PM   #1
crow
Private
Rep
Drives: 2016 550i Carbon Black Msport

HK Optimal EQ Settings ???

Anyone planning on releasing an optimal EQ settings for the HK system?

I hoping so the highs need adjusted IMO.
      12-16-2012, 06:16 PM   #2
zibawal
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 X5D

Any one?
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2012, 06:30 PM   #3
Junkyard
That's life in...
Rep
Drives: 2013 335xi

Search the earlier posts/threads for this same topic...
2013 335i xDrive, M Sport, Auto, 18" Wheel w/ All Season Tires, Black Sapphire, Leather Dakota Black, Burl Wood Trim w/ Pearl Gloss Chrome Highlight, Premium Package, Technology Package, Cold Weather Package, Dynamic Handling Package, HK Surround Sound.
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2012, 10:13 PM   #4
RPM90
Major General
Rep
Drives: 340i M-sport AT

Quote:
Originally Posted by crow View Post
Anyone planning on releasing an optimal EQ settings for the HK system?

I hoping so the highs need adjusted IMO.
It's hard to give "optimal" eq settings because what each person likes is subjective.
Plus, the eq settings in the HK system kind of suck because it's one setting for all sources. That is a big let down. I wasn't expecting BMW to miss this.
CD audio is dramatically different in audio quality compared to satellite, then there's FM/AM, and USB.
I find that CD's need very little eq tweaking, nearly none as HK/BMW did a good job on getting a decent "flat" eq in the cabin. With CD's it's just a matter of what you like such as more high end or more bass, or you may want more top high end if you're hearing isn't as good as it used to be.

When I fiddle with satellite eq can only do so much as the source is simply crappy. And when I do find an eq setting I like for sat, then when I switch to CD or USB then the eq settings are wrong because I set them for satellite.

Is there a specific thing you want to adjust? Is your source too boomy or too raspy, or...? That would help identify what you're looking for.
You mentioned the high end, what is the problem, or what would you like to hear?
Remember, as I said, there is no universal eq setting that's going to work for every person.

For reference I work in video and audio production, as well as having worked in studio recording, live sound systems, and AV audio systems from typical classrooms to small/mid size auditoriums.
I'm also a musician been playing mainly guitar and working with audio for over 30 years.
I'm not an electronic technician though.

Last edited by RPM90; 12-16-2012 at 10:25 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2012, 01:22 AM   #5
RichardM
Colonel
England
Rep
Drives: G21 M340i LCI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Junkyard View Post
Search the earlier posts/threads for this same topic...
Here's one thread I had bookmarked. I still need to lay with mine to get it right.
http://www.f30post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=756255
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2012, 02:20 AM   #6
crow
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPM90 View Post
It's hard to give "optimal" eq settings because what each person likes is subjective.
Plus, the eq settings in the HK system kind of suck because it's one setting for all sources. That is a big let down. I wasn't expecting BMW to miss this.
CD audio is dramatically different in audio quality compared to satellite, then there's FM/AM, and USB.
I find that CD's need very little eq tweaking, nearly none as HK/BMW did a good job on getting a decent "flat" eq in the cabin. With CD's it's just a matter of what you like such as more high end or more bass, or you may want more top high end if you're hearing isn't as good as it used to be.

When I fiddle with satellite eq can only do so much as the source is simply crappy. And when I do find an eq setting I like for sat, then when I switch to CD or USB then the eq settings are wrong because I set them for satellite.

Is there a specific thing you want to adjust? Is your source too boomy or too raspy, or...? That would help identify what you're looking for.
You mentioned the high end, what is the problem, or what would you like to hear?
Remember, as I said, there is no universal eq setting that's going to work for every person.

For reference I work in video and audio production, as well as having worked in studio recording, live sound systems, and AV audio systems from typical classrooms to small/mid size auditoriums.
I'm also a musician been playing mainly guitar and working with audio for over 30 years.
I'm not an electronic technician though.

Interesting,

I'm going to try by best to explain this. When I set the volume over 50% the highs are pretty over powering, It starts to hurt my ears. The mids dont seem very loud. The high hats (drum snares?) in the song or whatever they are called over power the people voice. This seems like all inputs it does this.

Last edited by crow; 12-17-2012 at 02:36 AM..
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2012, 02:38 AM   #7
crow
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardM View Post
Here's one thread I had bookmarked. I still need to lay with mine to get it right.
Nice I will try this
      12-17-2012, 08:49 PM   #8
jrortiz
First Lieutenant
Puerto Rico
Rep
Drives: 2012 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardM View Post
Nice, will try it.
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2012, 09:15 PM   #9
claykin
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: various BMW

Try playing with these settings from the E92 HK system. I used them and they seem to work great. I tweaked slightly to my preference and think the system sounds pretty good.

I have L7 off.

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=161120
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2012, 12:18 PM   #10
PrazVT
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '21 M240i 6mt (soon)

I think in general, you should be looking to just flatten the EQ response. It's not that easy though, as adjusting each EQ band = small changes to surrounding bands. Plus you can really only adjust from 100Hz+. But I just took a sound meter and a frequency response app on my android phone and adjusted the EQ visually. Then adjusted the bass for the < 100Hz frequencies. The only other thing I can think of is that aside from the bass setting, I only subtracted a notch or two from a couple of bands. No positive changes.
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2012, 09:54 PM   #11
RPM90
Major General
Rep
Drives: 340i M-sport AT

Quote:
Originally Posted by crow View Post
Interesting,

I'm going to try by best to explain this. When I set the volume over 50% the highs are pretty over powering, It starts to hurt my ears. The mids dont seem very loud. The high hats (drum snares?) in the song or whatever they are called over power the people voice. This seems like all inputs it does this.
By 'loud' do you mean harsh, or that the high frequencies seem too loud, overly heightened?

If it's the latter, then use your eq to test for which band/s is too loud to you.
Some people are naturally able to perceive higher frequencies. This goes with age as well as younger people are able to hear higher frequencies easier and thus they are perceived as louder.

Start by setting the bass and treble first, the 2 basic tone settings.
Put then at the mid point/flat, niether plus nor minus.
Tweak the higher bands first. Take the highest band and bring it all the down to it's lowest negative point and listen for the change. Then increase it back up to where it sounds right for you.
Then work your way down. You should be able to get what you like before you get to the mid-high around 1-2K.
Once you've found it remember that you still have some boost with the basic treble control.

If you want then work with the mid frequencies as well, bring them all the way down and listen to how it affects the over all tone, and work from there.
Then work on the lower end.

I'd say to use a CD with familiar music that has good balanced highs and lows.
You can then try familiar mp3's and tweak again if you like, especially if you tend to listen to that format most often.
CD quality high end will be clearer with more distinct highs. Compressed formats like mp3 and satellite radio have harsh highs as they don't have the capacity for clear resolution of the high end, they are harsher in quality, and phasing can get odd as well.

Play around and listen and you'll get the hang of it.
Start with all you eq settings as their "flat" level, in the middle of the range, which is the default setting.

If you're hearing that the high frequencies are too harsh that can be due to the source, possibly from too much compression in an mp3 or sat station.
Another source of high end harshness can come from the high end/tweeter drivers in the HK system. From the info I've seen on the HK drivers it appears that they are using titanium metal dome tweeters. JBL has been using those for decades, and they are part of the HK group.

Titanium dome tweets have the positive effect of being able to reproduce high frequency at a high level. But the negative is that they an also produce harsh sounding highs, especially from audio sources that have the highs bumped up during mix down. Also, if the highs are somewhat harsh from the source to begin with, the titanium drivers will exaggerate that quality and emphasize the harshness. I'm not a big fan of titanium dome tweets.
I had them in a pair of JBL home speakers. Over all they were good but mainly at moderate listening levels. But when the volume increases the high end becomes harsh, brittle sounding, and that quickly leads to
'listening fatique', where the harsh quality of the audio becomes uncomfortable. It's not simply due to higher volume levels, which can also cause it, but it's the lack of quality, harshness, that makes if feel uncomfortable.
Here's some interesting info if you want to read something new about this type of fatique.
http://www.lifeslittlemysteries.com/...ed-solved.html

BTW, just a side note, if you get ringing in you ears from listening to audio in your car then TURN IT DOWN. You are damaging your hearing in a permanent way.

Last edited by RPM90; 12-18-2012 at 10:01 PM..
Appreciate 0