E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Disappointed with service *kind of long*

08-09-2007, 07:04 PM   #1
Nikki
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Sepang Z4MC

Disappointed with service *kind of long*

I brought my car in today for its second oil change, a NH state inspection, and told them to also let the in-house body shop give me an estimate for the damage on the rear bumper.

Well they couldn't do the NH inspection because I have 35% tint which the dealer put on for me in Florida but aparently is illegal in NH. They don't allow ANY tint whatsoever in NH on the front windows. Good news is they didn't charge me for the inspection or log it into the computer.

So, onto the estimate, which was $2300.

I was shocked and then I looked closely and it had pretty much evey panel on my entire car being repainted???? They gave me an estimate on not only the rear damage but every single dent and chip on my entire car (which is a few since it is two years old now). Not only did I not ask for that, there was no way to differentiate how much everything was separately so I can't figure out how much it would be just for the rear damage like I asked. I called the estimator at the body shop but they were already closed since for some reason I dropped my car off at 9:30 am and didn't get it back until 5 pm.

Now over 7 hours for an oil change, state inspection, and body shop estimate sounds like a rather long time to me but it wasn't too bad since my dad came and we hung out for the day. Then I realized why it took so long.

They took my baby for a joy ride.

Yup, I looked at the odometer reading on the service printout. It said Mileage in: 17327 and Mileage out: 17329. I look down at my odometer when I am leaving the dealership and it is 17369.

They put 42 miles on my car!!!! :mad::mad::mad:

Unfortunately everyone had already left service since it was around 5:15 pm so I guess I will have to call them tomorrow. There is nothing I can do though really, just let them know how I feel I guess.

I'm not really mad at the dealer, I know this happens at a lot of the places because my ex used to work at an Audi dealership and he said they'd take customer cars on the highway all the time and go like 120mph. I just feel like my baby has been violated. I guess I just wanted to vent to someone. Thanks for reading.

Appreciate 0
      08-09-2007, 07:09 PM   #2
BK
Smiling politely
United_States
Rep
Drives: 330i

Garage List
2006 330i  [9.00]
Are you sure about the mileage? Not just a typo / misread on the service printout? That seems crazy.

Sorry to hear about this. Here in Northern VA, I just got the oil changed and state inspection last week and had no issues. They didn't even charge for the state inspection, which was an unexpected plus. All 5's from me.

To drift OT - that sig pic looks great. Love the wheels.
      08-09-2007, 07:12 PM   #3
Nikki
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BK View Post
Are you sure about the mileage? Not just a typo / misread on the service printout? That seems crazy.

Sorry to hear about this. Here in Northern VA, I just got the oil changed and state inspection last week and had no issues. They didn't even charge for the state inspection, which was an unexpected plus. All 5's from me.

To drift OT - that sig pic looks great. Love the wheels.
Well if it is a misstype then he/she misstyped it twice since it has Mileage in and Mileage out. Thanks for the compliment on the photo, I am real happy with the way the new wheels fit the car.

Appreciate 0
      08-09-2007, 07:45 PM   #4
RyBMW
Major
Rep
Drives: X5

Garage List
2012 BMW X5  [0.00]
2008 335i  [0.00]
Did they get the mileage from your key fob? I remember when I first brought my car in for software upgrade, the first upgrade for mp3 retrofit, they got the mileage of my car from my key fob and it was different from what the car was showing. I did give them the 2nd key fob that I don't use at all. But it was only a 3miles difference.

Did they atleast give you a loaner? I usually ask for a loaner when I bring my car in for an oil change. I have to make an appointment like 2 weeks in advance. I don't mind how long they take, as long as they don't take it for a joyride.

Old: 08 E92 335i|Space Gray/Coral Red/Gray Poplar

Old: 06 E90 330i|Black Sapphire/Black /Burl
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2007, 07:49 PM   #5
Cabby
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 X740i

Garage List
2020 BMW M340xi  [0.00]
2019 BMW X7  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikki View Post
Thanks for the compliment on the photo, I am real happy with the way the new wheels fit the car.
I wonder if the techs got compliments on it as well on their way to lunch
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2007, 07:51 PM   #6
Nikki
Major General
United_States
Rep

I have no idea about the keyfob and mileage. They didn't give me a loaner because my dad picked me up and we hung out for the day. I just figured that they probably did take it around since it is a stick and it has BBS wheels, I dunno. It's not like a 335 or an m3 or anything but I guess they were bored.

One thing that kind of gave it away is that BOTH driver and passenger seats were moved back and and the mirror was also adjusted. I purposely left my seat positioned at 2 where my boyfriend sits so it isn't like it was too far up for someone to drive comfortably. At the Audi dealer and when my ex worked as a valet they were forbidden to touch anything-even if an old woman came in with the seat all the way up they were not allowed to adjust it.

Appreciate 0
      08-09-2007, 08:12 PM   #7
HyperM3
Too many Alex's, from now on, call me Beaufort
United_States
Rep
Drives: See Sig

Just recently when I brought my car in last week and they needed 3 techs to figure out if my steering wheel was straight, they put on 32 miles. They must have been doing fun loops. Needless to say, I brought my car to a different dealership this past time.

Sorry to hear about your inconveniences.
07 335i(gone)
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2007, 09:18 PM   #8
dmboone25
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2024 Golf R / 2022 718 Spyder

Garage List
2007 E92 328i  [10.00]
2007 328i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by HyperM3 View Post
Sorry to hear about your inconveniences.
+1

That's crap that so many miles were put on your car. That REALLY would piss me off. :mad:

The estimate seems high too--maybe you should try somewhere else--hope everything turns out ok.
      08-09-2007, 09:35 PM   #9
Park2670
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Tesla Model 3

Now working for a dealer myself I am sorry to see what happened. But you dont need to be upset about the mileage. My dealer doesnt even have a body shop, so if you needed a quote I would have driven the car to our body shop which is 15 miles away. We arent allowed to move the seats, but when its hard for me to reach the brakes because my knees are in the dash I have to. For the joy riding, it doesnt make much sense to me. Most of my techs drive 335s now anyway. None of my guys are allowed to go off the test loop unless their drive needs to be longer for testing purposes anyway. I have driven longer but thats only when I am verifying work for the tech.

For the car being there all day, its really hard to understand until you work there. Before I had my job, I always took my dads X5 in there. I could never understand why it needed to be there all day for simple things. Now that I have been an Advisor, I realize how hard it is to get 90 cars into the shop in one day. You are working with 5 other people and 25 techs to get all the work done. Some techs are qualified for some work and others arent. Its just all in a days work.

Sorry for the life story, just trying to explain a little. Do remember this is all for my dealer, I cant speak for all the others.

Maybe some other dealers out there do suck at customer service, just come to SLC. I try my best
      08-09-2007, 09:37 PM   #10
Nikki
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Park2670 View Post
Now working for a dealer myself I am sorry to see what happened. But you dont need to be upset about the mileage. My dealer doesnt even have a body shop, so if you needed a quote I would have driven the car to our body shop which is 15 miles away. We arent allowed to move the seats, but when its hard for me to reach the brakes because my knees are in the dash I have to. For the joy riding, it doesnt make much sense to me. Most of my techs drive 335s now anyway. None of my guys are allowed to go off the test loop unless their drive needs to be longer for testing purposes anyway. I have driven longer but thats only when I am verifying work for the tech.

For the car being there all day, its really hard to understand until you work there. Before I had my job, I always took my dads X5 in there. I could never understand why it needed to be there all day for simple things. Now that I have been an Advisor, I realize how hard it is to get 90 cars into the shop in one day. You are working with 5 other people and 25 techs to get all the work done. Some techs are qualified for some work and others arent. Its just all in a days work.

Sorry for the life story, just trying to explain a little. Do remember this is all for my dealer, I cant speak for all the others.
Yeah I could understand about the mileage if the bodyshop was elsewhere but it is in-house (i.e. it is attached to the service department at the same physical address).

It being there all day didn't really bother me, I just felt I would add that in that it was there for a full day.

Appreciate 0
      08-09-2007, 09:40 PM   #11
Park2670
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Tesla Model 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikki View Post
Yeah I could understand about the mileage if the bodyshop was elsewhere but it is in-house (i.e. it is attached to the service department at the same physical address).

It being there all day didn't really bother me, I just felt I would add that in that it was there for a full day.

Ok makes sense.

On a side note, you would be shocked at how many people bring their cars in... completely empty of gas. Wondering why it wont run. Figure that one out, I thought BMW owners were supposed to be smart?