E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > What is considered out of tolerance for wastegate rattle

11-02-2012, 06:14 PM   #1
Harry Da Hamster
Captain
Rep
Drives: The Bus

What is considered out of tolerance for wastegate rattle

My car sounds like a diesel. The rattling/tapping sorta faint but i especially notice it in the morning in my parking stall which is right next to a wall which probably amplifies the sound. From what i read, it's most likely the wastegate rattle. At this point i would consider it a very slight nuisance and it doesn't bother me much but knowing that it will probably get worse i would rather take care of it sooner than later. So my question is what does BMW consider in/out of tolerance for the wastegate rattle. Will the service advisor look at me like a douche bag for such slight rattle?
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2012, 08:23 PM   #2
fun2drive
BMWCCA 149159
United_States
Rep
Drives: 13 128i Vert/ 14 JGC Diesel

You have no issue taking this to the dealer. If you can hear they can hear it. Whether it is sufficient to have it replaced no one can say but I really doubt they will question you and maybe they can explain what is acceptable...
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2012, 09:30 PM   #3
335BBS
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2009 335 coupe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FNG View Post
My car sounds like a diesel. The rattling/tapping sorta faint but i especially notice it in the morning in my parking stall which is right next to a wall which probably amplifies the sound. From what i read, it's most likely the wastegate rattle. At this point i would consider it a very slight nuisance and it doesn't bother me much but knowing that it will probably get worse i would rather take care of it sooner than later. So my question is what does BMW consider in/out of tolerance for the wastegate rattle. Will the service advisor look at me like a douche bag for such slight rattle?
They ALL rattle at start up. Thats not wastegate rattle. I gather that occurs at higher rpm.
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2012, 09:54 PM   #4
328i M-Sport
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2011 328i M-Sport Sedan

It might be considered okay if you only hear the rattle right after a cold startup. But if you can hear it after driving a few miles, take it to the dealership.
Appreciate 0