F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > Eco Mode question
Studio RSR

10-31-2012, 01:23 PM   #1
Doc943
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F30 320d SE

Eco Mode question

Well I've read the marketing version of my tail shaft and axels turning blue in this setting but what is really happening? Ta
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2012, 01:31 PM   #2
JOHNBMWM5
Live for today tomorrow never comes
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2022 LCI Marina Bay Blue/ Smok

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc943 View Post
Well I've read the marketing version of my tail shaft and axels turning blue in this setting but what is really happening? Ta
I have the F31 328i Luxury touring on loan, it was brand new when I got it , it now has 1285 miles on it, MPG has not changed from 36MPG too 38MPG I use eco-pro mode and TBH on a run in comfort there is hardly any difference at all, the air-con sometimes mists up the screen so you need to blast the screen for a minute or so. I have not thrashed the engine much at all as the economy dives once it has to work, I live out of town so very little town work done, I tend to use the eco pro mode when in traffic or a town or jam, that may help a bit on economy , one thing we have noticed is the indicator in the dash for eco pro mode goes to it's best position ( most economical) when in cruise control or with your foot off the gas peddle, this shows the actuator to be connected to the accelerator peddle.
      11-01-2012, 04:33 AM   #3
RobUK
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 340i MPPSK

Garage List
I'm beginning to think the Eco-Sloth mode is more gimmick that practical driving aid.

I'm not a hooligan but I'd say the car's in Sport around 25% of the time and Comfort most of the rest. A mix of town, country and dual carriageways is returning in the 39-40mpg region after 5K miles, and on a steady 300m motorway run at 70-75mph I got a shade over 50mpg! I did try Eco mode for a whole tankful and I'd guess I was getting around a 5-7% saving but I had to drive like a nun and anything untoward, like hard braking when someone pulls out in front of you, makes your little Eco-smug-meter go backwards!

Life is a state of mind
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2012, 04:35 AM   #4
MaestroAl
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 335xD

The only physical difference with Eco Pro mode is it tries to relax on the A/C a bit. Yeah, the throttle map is a bit more relaxed but the engine map itself is the same. Other than that, it's just an aid to an economic mind-set
      11-01-2012, 06:41 AM   #5
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaestroAl View Post
The only physical difference with Eco Pro mode is it tries to relax on the A/C a bit. Yeah, the throttle map is a bit more relaxed but the engine map itself is the same. Other than that, it's just an aid to an economic mind-set
And that is one of BMW's intentions, they clearly state that in their blurb on Eco Pro.

Not a bad thing, as it does give drivers the option for better mpg, if they can't drive economically without the aids.

HighlandPete
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2012, 06:44 AM   #6
MaestroAl
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

Yeah, I'm all in favour. Anything to help the pounds go further when I'm just travelling
      11-01-2012, 05:12 PM   #7
Doc943
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

So the blue axles and battery thing when cruising down hill or braking is just for effect?
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2012, 05:39 PM   #8
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
So the blue axles and battery thing when cruising down hill or braking is just for effect?
BMW's so called 'regenerative braking', which on the overrun puts a higher charge into the battery is real, but doesn't need Eco Pro as such to work.

BMW cars pre Eco Pro, have had that feature as part of the "efficient dynamics" package.

If you mean the fuel saved readout in Eco Pro mode, that is to show the savings over driving in the other mode, so again real. Eco Pro is an economy mode, encouraging better mpg.

HighlandPete
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2012, 06:42 PM   #9
MaestroAl
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

I understood the Eco Pro readout thingy on the dash to show you your fuel saving since going into Eco Pro mode compared to your average fuel consumption. So if you're darting around at 30mpg and go into Eco pro mode, you'll see the gained miles pile on quickly ... at least that's what it seems like
      11-02-2012, 12:07 PM   #10
Doc943
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
BMW's so called 'regenerative braking', which on the overrun puts a higher charge into the battery is real, but doesn't need Eco Pro as such to work.

BMW cars pre Eco Pro, have had that feature as part of the "efficient dynamics" package.

If you mean the fuel saved readout in Eco Pro mode, that is to show the savings over driving in the other mode, so again real. Eco Pro is an economy mode, encouraging better mpg.

HighlandPete
Good explanation, thanks mate
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2012, 12:51 PM   #11
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Good explanation, thanks mate
Just to clarify what MaestroAl has said.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaestroAl View Post
I understood the Eco Pro readout thingy on the dash to show you your fuel saving since going into Eco Pro mode compared to your average fuel consumption. So if you're darting around at 30mpg and go into Eco pro mode, you'll see the gained miles pile on quickly ... at least that's what it seems like
The BMW quote used to be:

Quote:
ECO PRO. This enables a reduction in fuel consumption by up to 20%, by giving the driver feedback and recommendations on their style of driving via ECO PRO tips.
This mode displays the so-called bonus range. It tells the driver how many miles they’ve gained by driving more efficiently.
I note that the following is now added in the description.

Quote:
....since last filling up the tank.
So Maestro is right, it is against the average, which makes sense, but does typically equate to the mode(s) of driving before you switch to Eco Pro.

HighlandPete
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2012, 01:16 PM   #12
TMP
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M6

It also reduced power to heated seats as well.

It seems to make sense if in slow traffic, either stop/start or moving and you just want to sit behind. on the Mway it makes sense too...although as i use cruise how much fuel it does save not sure. I also had my windscreen mist up on one occasion.

Pulling away from junctions is a bit scary with the throttle dulled!
      08-29-2013, 07:41 AM   #13
Mariuss
Private First Class
Czech_Republic
Rep
Drives: 2020 530ex

I noticed yesterday that my Bonus range dropped backwards from +99.3 km to +96.5 km so it's definitely not range that you gained as gain shouldn't go backwards. It is true that I did turn off the engine between the noticed drop which means the car went into the COMFORT mode after turning on the engine before I switched back to ECO PRO. It seems to measure gains over average consumption in the other states. As I usually switch to ECO PRO right after starting the engine, my COMFORT average should be pretty high resulting in high ECO PRO gains.
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2013, 09:07 AM   #14
languidmandala
Lieutenant
Scotland
Rep
Drives: F30 320d xdrive Sport MT

Pretty sure their quoted economy numbers will be based ECO PRO mode and since higher mpgs cost them money the mode includes loads of tiny tweaks that probably don't make much difference for most drivers
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2013, 05:16 PM   #15
stefan4
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 340i on order

I think eco pro is great - seems to be giving me a % 5 - % 10 saving. I use it for the boring work commute and once your moving on the motorway you dont notice the difference as much. It is rather slow though - unless you stick your foot into the carpet!

Its also great for saving up for some fun miles
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2013, 06:11 PM   #16
Quakered
First Lieutenant
England
Rep
Drives: was BMW 328 Tourer F31

I to like the Eco Pro option and particularly when in heavy traffic. What I cannot get to work is the Eco Pro Analyser on my iPhone 4. It connects fine and downloads my mileage, range and amount of petrol. I can also use the web radio app to listen to the radio in the Christmas Islands! But I cannot get it to download the Eco Pro driving to give me high scores for trips and MPG. Anyone got it working?

Thanks in advance!
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2013, 06:12 PM   #17
RobUK
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 340i MPPSK

Garage List
I'm now averaging 40-41 mpg and I rarely go near Eco Pro mode. Spend most of the time in Sport / Manual and shift early with the paddles.

Life is a state of mind
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2013, 06:21 PM   #18
languidmandala
Lieutenant
Scotland
Rep
Drives: F30 320d xdrive Sport MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quakered View Post
I to like the Eco Pro option and particularly when in heavy traffic. What I cannot get to work is the Eco Pro Analyser on my iPhone 4. It connects fine and downloads my mileage, range and amount of petrol. I can also use the web radio app to listen to the radio in the Christmas Islands! But I cannot get it to download the Eco Pro driving to give me high scores for trips and MPG. Anyone got it working?

Thanks in advance!
Same here iPhone 5
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2013, 12:42 AM   #19
Captain Cow Pat
Lieutenant
England
Rep
Drives: VO F31 330d xDrive M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quakered View Post
But I cannot get it to download the Eco Pro driving to give me high scores for trips and MPG. Anyone got it working?

Thanks in advance!
I got it working for four trips. I think you have to activate it for each trip. I will have a fiddle today if I remember and get back to you.
      08-30-2013, 02:57 AM   #20
sunscreemer
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 320i xDrive M Sport Saloon

To be honest I probably spend 95% of the time in comfort mode. I have tried Eco mode but unless the car is crusing it just feels FAR too lethargic. Sport mode is fun, but i find best (with my 8AT) with the box in manual shift mode. That way when i am on a straight I can cruise at low revs. I agree with some to an extent that say Eco not needed as you should be able to control the car with your foot, but Sport mode in town centres is too twitchy, Comfort of Eco best there for me as it's far smoother.
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2013, 06:31 AM   #21
Yellowpinkie
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 330d

Is there any difference to the engine note across the different modes? I could swear that in sport mode I get more of a whistle, presumably turbo(?), than I get in eco pro, tho that could be because in sport mode I'm generally caning it, revving higher etc.

Is the general concensus then that the difference between comfort and eco pro modes is less power to heated seats and aircon and the smug-ometer?
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2013, 06:53 AM   #22
FastLaneJB
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW M760Li

I don't think I'll feel smug in Eco Pro mode. The Smug o Meter is watching the power gauges in Sports mode as you wizz along surely?
Appreciate 0