E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Unbelievable smell from windshield washer fluid/reservoir

10-24-2012, 04:53 PM   #1
///McRae
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 E92 M3

Unbelievable smell from windshield washer fluid/reservoir

A couple of weeks ago, I noticed a bad smell coming from the front passenger wheel/wheel arch area. I thought I had maybe driven over some dog shit or something similar and thought no more about it.

Last week, the smell was still there, and there was also an occasional bad smell coming through the A/C vents. On Saturday morning, I opened the hood, and sniffed around to see what I could find, by this point thinking I had maybe driven over some roadkill, since the smell appeared to be getting worse.

I flipped open the lid for the windshield washer fluid, and oh my God, I have never smelled anything like it in my life. It was absolutely horrific. Like a rotting corpse. I thought that something had crawled in there and died, so.......

I took it down to the dealer, but they couldn't find anything. They removed, cleaned/washed out the washer fluid reservoir, and said they though it was urine in the reservoir, but I am doubtful. I searched online and turned up multiple instances where regular tap water had been used instead of washer fluid and had turned rancid, ending up in a similar outcome to mine.

Anyway, I got the car back from the dealer and the smell is still there, especially when the engine bay is hot, or you use the windshield fluid. There is no question that is where the smell is coming from. It is f*cking disgusting. I want to take the car back and have them install a new reservoir this time, rather than just clean the old one. I just don't think the smell is going to go away unless this happens......

My question is, has anyone else had an experience like this with their E9X?
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2012, 04:57 PM   #2
kingofthedemo
Major
Rep
Drives: BMW E90

I confess, I pissed in your reservoir.
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2012, 05:01 PM   #3
///McRae
Banned
United_States
Rep

Yer piss must smell like the cover of a Cannibal Corpse album. You should go to the doctor.
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2012, 05:03 PM   #4
Vegetable
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 M4 MT, 2024 X3MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by ralhou View Post
A couple of weeks ago, I noticed a bad smell coming from the front passenger wheel/wheel arch area. I thought I had maybe driven over some dog shit or something similar and thought no more about it.

Last week, the smell was still there, and there was also an occasional bad smell coming through the A/C vents. On Saturday morning, I opened the hood, and sniffed around to see what I could find, by this point thinking I had maybe driven over some roadkill, since the smell appeared to be getting worse.

I flipped open the lid for the windshield washer fluid, and oh my God, I have never smelled anything like it in my life. It was absolutely horrific. Like a rotting corpse. I thought that something had crawled in there and died, so.......

I took it down to the dealer, but they couldn't find anything. They removed, cleaned/washed out the washer fluid reservoir, and said they though it was urine in the reservoir, but I am doubtful. I searched online and turned up multiple instances where regular tap water had been used instead of washer fluid and had turned rancid, ending up in a similar outcome to mine.

Anyway, I got the car back from the dealer and the smell is still there, especially when the engine bay is hot, or you use the windshield fluid. There is no question that is where the smell is coming from. It is f*cking disgusting. I want to take the car back and have them install a new reservoir this time, rather than just clean the old one. I just don't think the smell is going to go away unless this happens......

My question is, has anyone else had an experience like this with their E9X?

It's been awhile since chemistry, but even tap water shouldn't go rancid.. The crap that grows in water can, however.. Maybe you have a little micoenvironment growing down there, i.e. algae, bacteria, etc.
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2012, 05:06 PM   #5
rusn007
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92

LOL, never heard of it. I actually find BMW's washer fluid smell to be very nice. Sometimes I run the windhshields just to smell it. There is something wrong with your fluid. Any angry exes?
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2012, 05:37 PM   #6
N8N
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 E92 335i 6MT

I've got some foamy stuff in my reservoir that I swear smells like antifreeze if I use it with the windows open (the old school ethylene glycol stuff.) Is that the BMW washer fluid? Does it work well? (it's not working well for me, but I probably need new wipers.)
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2012, 05:40 PM   #7
Dark_Knight_335
Came to the N55 Darkside
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335 E93 M-Sport

Roadkill smatterings perhaps?
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2012, 05:42 PM   #8
simon
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 Montego Blue 328i

This is bizarre. A few weeks ago my windshield washer stopped working. I took the pump out and turns out the strainer was clogged and it looked like a mudslide went into the washer tank. I clean it out and everything works for a few days and it clogged again.

Long story short, something is definitely growing or getting in my washer tank. I don't have any rancid smells, but it keeps clogging it. Weird.
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2012, 05:54 PM   #9
kiwi29
Team iTouge
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 M-Tech 328i

I had the same problem and it was easily resolve when i poured bleach into it. Of course don't use it so disassemble it and pour bleach and let it sit for a while. Then throw baking soda into it to absorb other smells and flush it out with A LOT of water. After that, use 2 bottle of pure concentrate windshield washer fluid and dilute with a gallon of drinking water. It should be fine after that, i mean it was for me ? Btw, if I remember correctly, it is a bitch to remove lol so take your time and be careful. good luck with your search
Driving is like having sex.
It really is. You can read up all you want about how to please a woman, you can look at all the diagrams in the world, but just like the clitoris, you won't know what the hell an apex is before you actually find it.
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2012, 06:08 PM   #10
///McRae
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwi29 View Post
I had the same problem and it was easily resolve when i poured bleach into it. Of course don't use it so disassemble it and pour bleach and let it sit for a while. Then throw baking soda into it to absorb other smells and flush it out with A LOT of water. After that, use 2 bottle of pure concentrate windshield washer fluid and dilute with a gallon of drinking water. It should be fine after that, i mean it was for me ? Btw, if I remember correctly, it is a bitch to remove lol so take your time and be careful. good luck with your search

Thanks......don't you have to remove the passenger wheel to remove the reservoir?
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2012, 06:43 PM   #11
Joe-
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 07 E92 335i

Quote:
Thanks......don't you have to remove the passenger wheel to remove the reservoir?
Just the wheel well
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2012, 05:41 PM   #12
kiwi29
Team iTouge
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 M-Tech 328i

Quote:
Yes you do, there's a DIY on here by longtran@ltbmw somewhere on the forums. He removes the reservoir to add meth or something of that nature and it is very detailed, just look around and good luck!
Driving is like having sex.
It really is. You can read up all you want about how to please a woman, you can look at all the diagrams in the world, but just like the clitoris, you won't know what the hell an apex is before you actually find it.
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2012, 06:34 PM   #13
VMRWheels
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Rep

Drives: BMW

Garage List
2013 BMW M3  [10.00]
2015 BMW M4  [0.00]
2013 BMW F30  [0.00]
2014 BMW F22  [0.00]
2013 BMW F06  [0.00]
Piss in someone's windshield reservoir and have it sprayed all over the front windshield. I'd be very upset to say the least.
      10-25-2012, 07:58 PM   #14
SpeedBuggy
Comfortably Numb
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 x1/'13 X3/'06 330i

Garage List
2006 BMW 330i   [0.00]
Here you go......................
I cleaned the reservoir filter on my son's e92, took about an hour to disassemble, clean, and reassemble. This of course only takes care of the reservoir, you may need to clean the lines running from the reservoir to the windshield/headlight nozzles.

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=558259
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2012, 07:03 AM   #15
nekbreaker
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: bmw e92 m3

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingofthedemo View Post
I confess, I pissed in your reservoir.
Hahhahahah
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2012, 11:31 AM   #16
Pappy
Resident Septuagenarian
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 328i Coupe MT w/hand brake

Distilled water and a dollop of dishwasher liquid. I add some rubbing alcohol if I expect freezing conditions.

Sent from my keyboard using hunt and peck...
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2012, 08:38 PM   #17
edirtaynine
Major General
Rep
Drives: e92

hahaahahahahahahahhha sorry, that sucks this happened, but i can't help LOLing at how terrible it must've been by the way you described it hahahah

jm3as hooks it up
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2012, 10:10 PM   #18
E90Company
Major General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by VMRWheels View Post
Piss in someone's windshield reservoir and have it sprayed all over the front windshield. I'd be very upset to say the least.
And then the guys that inject meth, will have the smell of piss coming out of their catless exhaust
Appreciate 0