BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > Regional Forums > Asia

10-21-2012, 08:32 PM   #1
chuckvic
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2009 M3 DCT Coupe

dealer in Seoul, ROK

Any one with experience with seoul, ROK dealer for service issues?? Pending possible move to Yongsan/Osan and will be able to take M3. thanks

chuck
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2012, 08:35 PM   #2
gonoyaro11
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: Woo

Wow, I'm not in Korea currently but which dealership going to?
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2012, 08:58 PM   #3
bigjae1976
Major General
Rep
Drives: 11 E90 M3 Individual

Garage List
2004 BMW M3  [4.50]
2011 BMW E90 M3  [5.25]
2013 BMW 328i  [5.00]
It is very expensive. I'm not sure if they will honor your 4yr/50k warranty. Its only 2yrs in Korea. In fact, I'm almost positive but PM RayC. He has an M3 in Korea. If you want carry out parts, you will have to order them. Unless it has changed, the dealer doesn't sell parts over the counter.

So yeah, its a PIA to have a BMW in Korea and something go wrong with it. Try waiting 2 weeks for ONE pressure plate bolt.
2000 E36/7 Z3 Steel Blue
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2012, 12:33 AM   #4
RayC
Lieutenant
South Korea
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

Here's the rundown with the M3 in Korea. I actually just shipped my car off today (going to Virginia/DC) since USFK screwed me over and I lost my job. Finally heading back to the US after 7 years.

There are two main BMW dealers, Kolon Motors and Hansung (I think) but Kolon Motors is by far the biggest dealer. They have service centers all over Seoul. If you get stationed in Osan, I think Suwon is your best bet but I'm not sure; I've always used Seoul service centers.

In Seoul, the best maintenance center is near the World Cup Stadium in Mapo (still Seoul). That is their main service center. A friend of mine who works for BMW Asia says it's the best too.

You'll only have a 2 year warranty and that only covers manufacture defects and what not; you'll have to pay for your own oil change/rotors/pads/etc. Generally speaking, parts are much more expensive so it's best to order what you need by mail. Having an APO box helps. Same goes with tires; I used to always order via Tirerack. Hankook tires are made here in Korea but they're twice what you would pay from the US. Labor is relatively cheap though so buying your own parts is really the best thing.

I also recommend getting a blackbox camera (you can get good ones here) in the event that you get into an accident and some guy tries to scam you. I hate to say it but when it's a foreigner's word versus a Korean's, police will usually side against a foreigner.

Besides all that, driving is great in Korea. Roads are pretty awesome (highways) and no cops on the road to catch you speeding. Also, the nicer car you have, Koreans have a tendency to give you a wide berth since they don't want to be liable for any damages.

If you need help, there is a Kolon Motors office right outside Yongsan and Osan and you can probably go through them to set up any kind of appointments with a service center.

Good luck and have fun here in the RoK!
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2012, 03:58 PM   #5
mark896
Warrant Officer
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 335is

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayC View Post
Here's the rundown with the M3 in Korea. I actually just shipped my car off today (going to Virginia/DC) since USFK screwed me over and I lost my job. Finally heading back to the US after 7 years.

There are two main BMW dealers, Kolon Motors and Hansung (I think) but Kolon Motors is by far the biggest dealer. They have service centers all over Seoul. If you get stationed in Osan, I think Suwon is your best bet but I'm not sure; I've always used Seoul service centers.

In Seoul, the best maintenance center is near the World Cup Stadium in Mapo (still Seoul). That is their main service center. A friend of mine who works for BMW Asia says it's the best too.

You'll only have a 2 year warranty and that only covers manufacture defects and what not; you'll have to pay for your own oil change/rotors/pads/etc. Generally speaking, parts are much more expensive so it's best to order what you need by mail. Having an APO box helps. Same goes with tires; I used to always order via Tirerack. Hankook tires are made here in Korea but they're twice what you would pay from the US. Labor is relatively cheap though so buying your own parts is really the best thing.

I also recommend getting a blackbox camera (you can get good ones here) in the event that you get into an accident and some guy tries to scam you. I hate to say it but when it's a foreigner's word versus a Korean's, police will usually side against a foreigner.

Besides all that, driving is great in Korea. Roads are pretty awesome (highways) and no cops on the road to catch you speeding. Also, the nicer car you have, Koreans have a tendency to give you a wide berth since they don't want to be liable for any damages.

If you need help, there is a Kolon Motors office right outside Yongsan and Osan and you can probably go through them to set up any kind of appointments with a service center.

Been stationed in Korea twice and can verify everything said above. The very FIRST thing they do upon collision is jump out to see who can start holding their necks first--no lie. It's ALMOST comical. More frightening though..

Good information, I actually, for one second, pondered bringing my M3 over there. Now, there is no way that I would. So, they won't even HONOR a 4 year/50,000 mile warranty??
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2012, 03:59 PM   #6
mark896
Warrant Officer
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 335is

Quote:

Been stationed in Korea twice and can verify everything said above. The very FIRST thing they do upon collision is jump out to see who can start holding their necks first--no lie. It's ALMOST comical. More frightening though..

Good information. I actually, for one second, pondered bringing my M3 over there. Now, there is no way that I would. So, they won't even HONOR a 4 year/50,000 mile warranty??
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2012, 09:08 PM   #7
bigjae1976
Major General
Rep
Drives: 11 E90 M3 Individual

Garage List
2004 BMW M3  [4.50]
2011 BMW E90 M3  [5.25]
2013 BMW 328i  [5.00]
I had zero door dings in my 330 in the first seven years. Shipped it there, 20 months later, 3 dings. Then got rear ended twice. If your car is lowered, good luck with that! Ray will tell you the issues I had.

I picked up my lowered 330 from the VPC. During the inspection, I said the front bumper doesn't look right. The korean dude said its fine. I touch the bumper and it falls off! Fockers!

Then I had to get an emissions test with no cats. All I'll say is I passed.

Finally, they got me with the windshield. It had a crack in it that has been long repaired and never had an issue for 3 years. Its was on the pass side out of sight. Had to get a new windshield to the tune of $1300. Luckily insurance covered it. They gave me some BMW Korea special windshield that blocks UV rays. It also blocks GPS, cell, and radar. So my V1 never tracks radar forward and nav units are off a bit.

Yeah, Korea really screwed by car up. It was cool driving a really unique car in Korea...they don't get 3 series coupes.
2000 E36/7 Z3 Steel Blue
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2012, 12:26 PM   #8
RayC
Lieutenant
South Korea
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

I had a somewhat fortunate experience with my car here.

Zero dings on my car whenever I parked out in Seoul. Then again, I only used paid parking lots rather than parking in the streets. My only ding came from when I was parked on-post. Rear-ended once and even then it was minor. Probably could've been repaired but I took it to the dealer and since I wasn't paying, I let them do what they want. Got a brand new bumper.

The 4-year warranty is only available in the US; every other nation only gets a 2-year warranty. The BMW USA customers have it the best.

End of the day though...driving here has been a pleasure. Sure traffic sucks and Koreans have zero road etiquette, but being able to drive my car to the max (open highways) with zero speeding tickets and without the fear of cops has been awesome.
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2013, 05:14 AM   #9
Broadsword
Sustinendum Victoriam
No_Country
Rep
Drives: '13 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark896 View Post
So, they won't even HONOR a 4 year/50,000 mile warranty??
Nope. Bought a brand new '13 X5 before PCSing to Korea, called the BMW Military Sales rep asking about the warranty and they will not honor any US warranty or service plan.
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2013, 05:14 AM   #10
Broadsword
Sustinendum Victoriam
No_Country
Rep
Drives: '13 335i

Quote:
Which one is that?
Appreciate 0