E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Motor Mounts?

10-16-2012, 10:47 PM   #1
kE90
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: e90 328i alpine white pre-lci

Exclamation Motor Mounts?

2008 E90 328i A/T

Hey guys, I'm a bit stressed out after hearing what was wrong with my car today.

Well here's the story...

A couple weeks ago I was at a dead stop and then out of nowhere my car started shaking uncontrollably. It kept going on whenever I was at a dead stop. (The shake will go away after I hit over 1000 rpm) I put on Neutral and it didn't make too much of a difference compared to Drive. I've searched through the forum to see if anyone else had this issue; however, for those who did have a similar problem, seems like it was because of the spark plugs. Now, before I actually changed my spark plugs, I took it to a local BMW dealership to get a full check up. (Just to see if it could of been anything else.) Well after working with my car for 3 days, here is what they told me.

"What makes the noise up front is one of the motor mounts...its fasteners sheared off and took out the motor mount bracket." And after that he also said, "Sadly, CPO warranty will not cover the engine mount bracket. The repair cost is $900; parts/labor/tax."

(Btw I did go for a short drive with one of the technician and he also felt/heard the shake.)

$900 is a lot of money and I know I have to fix this problem immediately.
I am going to take the car to another dealership to see if they agree to this report.

What I want to know is, did anyone else out there have any similar issue? Any recommendations to what I should do next? Any inputs or thoughts about this particular situation? CPO warranty not able to cover?

Any comments would be grateful.
Thanks for stopping by.
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2012, 10:59 PM   #2
ken1137
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW S1000XR

Garage List
2009 e90 335i  [6.40]
Sorry to hear that...my wife's MDX had two motor mounts leak and the dealer wanted $1000. We took it to our local indy, after purchasing the mounts ourselves, and they installed them for $400. Check your Regional forum for a local indy. GL.

BMWCCA member
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2012, 11:09 PM   #3
DUI Elite
///M at Heart
Rep
Drives: 06 SGM E90, 15 BSM E84

Buy the mounts yourself and take to independent shop!
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2012, 11:57 PM   #4
2ndname
Autobot
Rep
Drives: E90 325i Auto~NO~Go

Garage List
2006 BMW 325i  [10.00]
Wow, take it to the second dealership to check and see if the 1st one bs'ed you about the cpo. If not, get pricing and shop it to an indi that has good feedback.
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2012, 12:08 AM   #5
kE90
Private
United_States
Rep

Yeah, just searched on some local indy as soon as i posted this and found some great ones near me. Definitely will check it out this weekend and see what they have to offer. Thanks for your guys' feedback so far.
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2012, 12:12 AM   #6
kE90
Private
United_States
Rep

By the way...there are Left and Right motor mounts and they are sold separately. Am I correct?
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2012, 12:15 AM   #7
Delusive
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Bagged E92

Quote:
Originally Posted by kE90 View Post
2008 E90 328i A/T

Hey guys, I'm a bit stressed out after hearing what was wrong with my car today.

Well here's the story...

A couple weeks ago I was at a dead stop and then out of nowhere my car started shaking uncontrollably. It kept going on whenever I was at a dead stop. (The shake will go away after I hit over 1000 rpm) I put on Neutral and it didn't make too much of a difference compared to Drive. I've searched through the forum to see if anyone else had this issue; however, for those who did have a similar problem, seems like it was because of the spark plugs. Now, before I actually changed my spark plugs, I took it to a local BMW dealership to get a full check up. (Just to see if it could of been anything else.) Well after working with my car for 3 days, here is what they told me.

"What makes the noise up front is one of the motor mounts...its fasteners sheared off and took out the motor mount bracket." And after that he also said, "Sadly, CPO warranty will not cover the engine mount bracket. The repair cost is $900; parts/labor/tax."

(Btw I did go for a short drive with one of the technician and he also felt/heard the shake.)

$900 is a lot of money and I know I have to fix this problem immediately.
I am going to take the car to another dealership to see if they agree to this report.

What I want to know is, did anyone else out there have any similar issue? Any recommendations to what I should do next? Any inputs or thoughts about this particular situation? CPO warranty not able to cover?

Any comments would be grateful.
Thanks for stopping by.
I got the same vibration but it's not that wild as you explained it, mines is subtle and it could just be my spark plugs but so far none of my mechanics saw anything wrong with my car other than just the right control arm bushing is almost worn out.

But goodluck in getting it fixed and keep us updated to see if the motor mounts will fix this vibration problem if the spark plugs don't.
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2012, 12:37 AM   #8
kE90
Private
United_States
Rep

Oh sure I'll definitely keep you guys updated as soon as I can get it fixed by this weekend. I'll post up the results on here asap!
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2012, 12:37 AM   #9
redline2001
Captain
Rep
Drives: AW 328i

BMW CPO is the worse.
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2012, 01:45 AM   #10
W.WCherry
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: e92

I had the passenger side motor mount replaced and it was $500 for parts/labor at an indy shop.
Performance |Dinan Stage 3 Software|Dinan IC|Dinan OC|UUC/Corsa Exhaust|Koni FSD Shocks and Struts|Eibach Spings|Hotchkis Anti Sway Bars|6MT|Style |Aero Lip|Aero Rear|M3 Spoiler|BMW Gloss Black Kidney Grills|BMW Aluminum Pedals|BMW LCI Tail Lights|HID Fog Lights|25%Tint|Advan AVS Model F7 19" Rims|Lux V3 AEs|Premium|Sport|Comfort Access|
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2012, 06:50 PM   #11
kE90
Private
United_States
Rep

Sadly, the local Indy is booked until next thurs... : waiting.....
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2012, 01:55 PM   #12
kE90
Private
United_States
Rep

GUYS!!! Sorry for posting so late but it's finally Thursday! Dropped off my car earlier this morning at the indy (finally) and after couple hours they called me and told me what was up and the price that will cost me. So the deal is that the bolts holding the mount on the right side of the engine was broken/detached and was stuck underneath the engine. The mount actually doesn't need to be replaced; however, they need to readjust the mount and replace/remove the bolts. The price out the door is $560. I am so happy it's finally getting fixed! Thanks for your concerns guys! Everyone's comments were a big help and it got me to where I am now. Let's go ride!
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2012, 02:10 PM   #13
nightops
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335i E92

Quote:
Originally Posted by kE90 View Post
GUYS!!! Sorry for posting so late but it's finally Thursday! Dropped off my car earlier this morning at the indy (finally) and after couple hours they called me and told me what was up and the price that will cost me. So the deal is that the bolts holding the mount on the right side of the engine was broken/detached and was stuck underneath the engine. The mount actually doesn't need to be replaced; however, they need to readjust the mount and replace/remove the bolts. The price out the door is $560. I am so happy it's finally getting fixed! Thanks for your concerns guys! Everyone's comments were a big help and it got me to where I am now. Let's go ride!
great news- glad to hear you got it resolved and didnt have to take it from the stealership. can i ask which indy you went to? the one closest to me has a 1 month wait...
      11-01-2012, 04:43 PM   #14
krhodes1
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2011 328i Wagon

Garage List
2011 128i  [10.00]
2011 BMW 328i Touring  [10.00]
What was the rationale for CPO not covering it? Especially as it turned out to be broken bolts, and not actually a bad mount. I can see the mount itself being considered a wear part, but the bolts??

'11 328! Touring - Tasman on Chestnut, 6spd manual, factory upside-down "i" option
'11 128i Convertible - Space Gray on Savannah Beige, 6spd manual,
also '14 Mercedes-Benz E350 wagon, '95 Land Rover Discovery, '74 Triumph Spitfire
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2012, 05:05 PM   #15
Otruba_843
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 E90

Quote:
Originally Posted by ken1137 View Post
Sorry to hear that...my wife's MDX had two motor mounts leak and the dealer wanted $1000. We took it to our local indy, after purchasing the mounts ourselves, and they installed them for $400. Check your Regional forum for a local indy. GL.
Happend to my moms Odyssey. Honda seems to have major issues with this. Honda refused to cover it and she ended up paying a ridiculous amount. Then 6 months later, they did a recall and Honda now refuses to refund her. Im never going to buy a honda...EVER.
      11-01-2012, 08:07 PM   #16
kE90
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightops View Post
great news- glad to hear you got it resolved and didnt have to take it from the stealership. can i ask which indy you went to? the one closest to me has a 1 month wait...
Yeah, I'm so glad I took my time to search for an indy near by. The shop I went into is named "Integrity Motorcar" in Yorba Linda. I do recommend this shop because it's a bit cheaper than most of the other places plus GREAT customer service. They are really sincere and take care of your car like if it was theirs. They point out things you should know and give you recommendations/opinion about everything. You can easily Yelp them and learn more about them! They are also really busy, so might be booked for a week or two. Good luck!
Appreciate 0