E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Off-Topic Discussions > Buying through States EBAY

10-13-2012, 02:38 PM   #1
mistryn
Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW 335D

Buying through States EBAY

After few weeks of scouring the net/car audio forums for a pair pfEarthquake under seat subs in the UK it has been non existent.

Whilst looking on ebay States side I have seen some for a very good price but now I have never bought through ebay USA. The prices are in $ but in brackets £. So if I was to buy it now and go through paypal would it automatically convert into £ or would I pay in $?

Also I am slightly concerned with the duty/tax I may get hammered on - How would I pay these or would they come straight through without incurring duty/tax?
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2012, 03:22 PM   #2
macck
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 e92 msport

Hi have bought some audio equipment from the states using paypal. Paypal convert the money but have been hit with customs charges everytime. Royal Mail pay the customs fees first then you have to pay Royal Mail.

blackchrome csl,s // eibach pro kit //bitstein B4s// shortened bumpstops//front and rear brembo performance brakes// jbl ms8//focal 100krs// rainbow dlx5 centre, rear//jenhert xe200//cas audio corner loaded sub// jl10v3 sub// jl xd500/3 xd400/4// technic harness// 808mguy adapters
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2012, 10:24 PM   #3
fulcrum
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92,F22, F36, G01

And RM charge you a hefty admin fee for doing it!
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2012, 02:22 PM   #4
Mani59
BMW Miniature Collector!
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E38 735i SE Individual

I have bought many things from HK/China off ebay.

Easiest way is to copy the item number from the USA listing, then paste that number into ebay.co.uk

Then you will see the £ sterling price. Depending on how the seller has set up the listing, you should have the postage price also displayed. (If not, then you can always request the invoice from the seller once you hit "buy it now").
I think there may also be a couple of £s charge for the currency convert that PayPal charge.

In terms of customs, etc, I always use this site.

http://www.dutycalculator.com/

It's always bang on with the amount of customs to pay. Note that the delivery company will also charge a handling fee, and that is not included in the price on this site, (FedEx seems to be the worst so I always email the sellers and tell them to avoid using these guys...DHL are good however!).

The delivery company will pay all these fees for you, and then send you an invoice for you to pay them, (in addition to a admin/handling fee). It will all be on the same invoice.
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2012, 06:20 AM   #5
mistryn
Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW 335D

thanks for the link, quite handy. I am still debating whether to import or wait
Appreciate 0