E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Oil leak/backpressure end of CPO issues

10-11-2012, 07:51 AM   #1
AZ E90
Jester of Tortuga
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 335i

Exclamation Oil leak/backpressure end of CPO issues

I'll try to be brief, looking for opinions and past experiences:

Car is right at the end of CPO, this will be its last dealer service

Several complaints: One was a coolant leak, which was found at the upper expansion hose, and was informed this was NOT covered under CPO. That's fine, relatively easy fix. Second was a blow left front strut (leaking pretty bad). Dealer confirmed that it was leaking, again NOT covered. Understandable as a strut can be considered a "wear item"

The biggest complaint was my excessive oil consumption, which I have complained about since the day I got the car. I've done searches through this forum and I know its a common complaint, however recently the car burned through 2.5 quarts of oil in under 7500 miles which is pretty excessive in my opinion. BMW claims that one quart of oil consumed in 800 miles is still "within spec."

In the past, the dealer has replaced two oil filter housings which were leaking. It looked to be dry this time.

I took the car to an independent shop (BMW specific, former BMW service techs) and had them run through the vehicle. One leak they found was from the bank one turbo near where the exhaust feeds into the turbo and also at the oil drain line. The dealer identified this leak, but again said it was NOT covered because it was "a rubber hose." Am I wrong in assuming any oil feed line to or from a turbo is usually a steel braided hose? I know the labor is intensive to replace this hose, possible the dealer is trying to avoid the work?

Also at the independent shop, they performed a manometer test on the CCV and found less than one inch of water (pressure), whereas the specs for the vehicle is 6.8 inches of water at this point. They reasoned the excessive pressure from lack of venting could be causing the oil leaks to occur. The dealer refuses to perform the same test and will not investigate the CCV issue.

I have to go pick the car up today and I planned on speaking directly with the service manager. Anyone have any past experiences I can try to relate to? Any help would be appreciated...
      10-11-2012, 09:16 PM   #2
AZ E90
Jester of Tortuga
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 335i

If anyone actually followed this, they are replacing the valve cover/CCV due to the improper pressure

Still don't understand why an oil feed line for a turbo is not covered by CPO...
      10-12-2012, 11:58 AM   #3
mys_iii
Private
Rep
Drives: None

It is hard to believe

that in this day and age of "more precise engine machining" and of improved manufacturing processes, automakers still claim a quart every 1000 miles is "within spec". It's just nonsense. I've had cars that were over 7 years old and didn't burn a drop of oil even when driven hard. So, I don't understand why so many people have issues with oil consumption. I can see how a quart every 8 - 10k miles may be within spec but not every few thousand miles.
Appreciate 0