Tirerack
Use the following links to go directly to useful tirerack winter items: Tirerack Winter Tires. Gary's Winter Tire FAQ.
Using the links directly supports E90Post with tirerack sales commision!

E90Post

The Tire Rack

PLEASE HELP SUPPORT E90POST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wheels and Tires Forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack > Is it Fact or Fiction? Run-Flats or Not?

Wheels and Tires forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack
Please help to directly support e90post by doing your tirerack shopping from the above link. For every sale made through the link, e90post gets sponsor support to keep the site alive. Disclaimer

07-31-2007, 03:47 PM   #1
LRS
Dead Head
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E92 335d Coupe

Is it Fact or Fiction? Run-Flats or Not?

Hi All

I’ve got a 335d SE with 19” 230 Star Spoke wheels and the dreaded Bridgestone Potenza Run-Flats.

My questions:

• Is there any BMW warranty invalidation issue if I change the factory fitted Bridgestone’s for non-run flats or another manufactures make of run-flats?

• Is the BMW suspension specifically tuned for the Bridgestone run-flats and the 19” 230 wheel combination?

I’ve heard that BMW could become awkward if there is a problem with the car associated with tires that deviate from the original make and specification of the ones originally fitted at the factory.

If the answer to the above two questions are both false, which of the types below would be recommended to replace the Bridgestone Potenza Run-Flats to run on the 19” 230 Star Spoke wheels?

• PIRELLI EUFORI (RUN-FLAT)
• PIRELLI P ZERO CORSA ASIMMETRICO
• GOODYEAR EAGLE F1 GS-D3/ GS-D3
• MICHELIN PILOT SPORT 2
• PIRELLI P ZERO ROSSO DIREZIONALE
• PIRELLI P ZERO NERO

Any advice and help would be most welcome.

LRS

E92 335d SE Auto | Space Grey | Black Leather | 19” 230 Star Spoke | Comfort Access | Lumbar | Heated Seats | Black High Gloss Trim | Pro Nav | Assist | Bluetooth Telematics | Voice Control | High Gloss Shadow Line
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2007, 04:10 PM   #2
spacedogg
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: Debadged

Quote:
Originally Posted by LRS View Post
• Is there any BMW warranty invalidation issue if I change the factory fitted Bridgestone’s for non-run flats or another manufactures make of run-flats?
Unfortunately no.

Quote:
• Is the BMW suspension specifically tuned for the Bridgestone run-flats and the 19” 230 wheel combination?
The marketing brochures say that the new BMWs have suspension specifically designed to work with runflat tires. What they mean is that the suspension is compliant and comfortable enough for the average driver to use with rock hard runflat tires that have stiff sidewalls. You will be fine with non-runflat tires. In fact your ride quality will likely improve.

Quote:
I’ve heard that BMW could become awkward if there is a problem with the car associated with tires that deviate from the original make and specification of the ones originally fitted at the factory.
Assuming the new rims and tires you replace them with are good quality, you should be fine.

Quote:
If the answer to the above two questions are both false, which of the types below would be recommended to replace the Bridgestone Potenza Run-Flats to run on the 19” 230 Star Spoke wheels?
These are the most popular summer tires on this forum:

• GOODYEAR EAGLE F1 GS-D3/ GS-D3
• MICHELIN PILOT SPORT 2

There have been lots of threads written on these two tires. Do a search and you should find lots of threads. The PS2s are considered top marks for dry, and the Eagle F1s are second. But in the wet, people say the Eagle F1s are better.

If you need to go cheaper, you can get either the General Exclaims or Kumho Ecsta SPTs as well.
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2007, 04:27 PM   #3
Bimmer335i
Major
Rep
Drives: 07 Sparkling Graphite 335i Sed

Another good place to search is tirerack.com and "Gary" from tire rack has a few threads on wheels and tires.
      08-01-2007, 02:44 AM   #4
LRS
Dead Head
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E92 335d Coupe

Thanks for all the feedback everyone.

I think it’s the combination of the tire noise and the jarring impact (scares the living s**t out of you at night!!) of every little bump and pot hole in the road (I appreciate that the 19” 230 BMW wheels play a big part in this) that make me truly consider replacing the Bridgestone run-flats with non run-flat tires.

Now, assuming I move to non run-flat tires, the big question is how do you manage a flat tire with no spare tire to speak of? I feel it is this issue in particular that could convince me to stay with run-flats.

If the decision is to stay with run-flats, the question then is “are all run-flats created equal? I guess what I’m asking for is if anyone is aware of any type of road test survey having been done on different run-flat brands (especially a test that included run-flats running on very low profile rims e.g. 19”)

Hopefully the evolution of run-flat tire development will continually improve and get better and better.

Sorry if this has been covered in other threads, it just seemed a logical progression of the discussion.

LRS

E92 335d SE Auto | Space Grey | Black Leather | 19” 230 Star Spoke | Comfort Access | Lumbar | Heated Seats | Black High Gloss Trim | Pro Nav | Assist | Bluetooth Telematics | Voice Control | High Gloss Shadow Line
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2007, 03:02 AM   #5
VGR00
Major
Australia
Rep
Drives: 430i Gran Coupe

If you go to non runflats then buy a BMW Mobility kit and tyre sealer. This is whats used on the E46 M3. I'd be surprised if this is not the same in the new M3 when it arrives.
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2007, 02:43 PM   #6
jungjung
Registered
Rep
Drives: 330i

Would the Mobility kit and sealer be able to repair a sidewall puncture or just a tread puncture? I think with a sidewall puncture you'd have to get towed and buy a replacement tire.
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2007, 07:19 PM   #7
Carguy1965
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 06 325I,07 Avalanche 65 Impala

I had a puncture a few weeks back several hundred miles from home. It was in the tread but was as big as my thumb. Obviously a mobility kit wont fix that, I grumbled to my DSR about the whole sorry run flat situation etc, and I now have a donut spare and jack in the car. The spare is in a cover with velco so it stays put. It does of course take up some space, but its my wifes car and just the two of us travel in it. I will gladly trade the space for never being stranded by a flat.. On top of that the overall improvment in the ride/handling is beyond belief.
Get rid of the run flats any way you can.. Its worth every dime..
Appreciate 0