Tirerack
Use the following links to go directly to useful tirerack winter items: Tirerack Winter Tires. Gary's Winter Tire FAQ.
Using the links directly supports E90Post with tirerack sales commision!

E90Post

The Tire Rack

PLEASE HELP SUPPORT E90POST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wheels and Tires Forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack > Nitto Motivo v. Michelin Pilot Super Sport

Wheels and Tires forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack
Please help to directly support e90post by doing your tirerack shopping from the above link. For every sale made through the link, e90post gets sponsor support to keep the site alive. Disclaimer

10-04-2012, 11:15 PM   #1
Chris W.
Rep
Drives: 2006 BMW 330i w/Sport Package

Nitto Motivo v. Michelin Pilot Super Sport

I own a 2006 330i and currently have Falken Ziex-512. These are suppose to be 30,000 mile tires. I'm right at 17,000 miles on them and they now feel unsafe. I've been noticing especially in the rain that they the car just feels unsteady. Then last week driving straight in a light rain at 35 mph on a mud and gravel covered road (lots of construction in the area), I nearly went off the road when the car started to hydroplane and slide. Luckily, I regained traction and was able to straighten it out. Brought it in for an inspection and there is definite wear.

Been researching, I like the reviews on both the Nitto Motivo and the Michelin Pilot Super Sport. I really need a reasonable priced all weather tire that performs well in the rain. I'm in MS so no need for snow performance but very hot in the summer. I'd like something that is quite and gives me a smooth ride as opposed to high performance.

I'm leaning toward the Nitto's because they're reasonable priced and rated for 60,000 miles. Also, the reviews I've seen all just rave about their performance in the rain. The only problem I see, on at least two reviews, one on this forum, people have mention slight flat spots developing if the car sits for too long. One review said it had to do with the Nylon Belting (interspersed with Steel and other Polymers, usually). Supposedly, nylon is Tough but not thermally stable.

The Michelin gets great reviews but they cost more and only rated for 30,000 miles.

What do you guys think?
Appreciate 0