Tirerack
Use the following links to go directly to useful tirerack winter items: Tirerack Winter Tires. Gary's Winter Tire FAQ.
Using the links directly supports E90Post with tirerack sales commision!

E90Post

The Tire Rack

PLEASE HELP SUPPORT E90POST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wheels and Tires Forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack > Wheel help..rim issues

Wheels and Tires forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack
Please help to directly support e90post by doing your tirerack shopping from the above link. For every sale made through the link, e90post gets sponsor support to keep the site alive. Disclaimer

09-30-2012, 03:27 PM   #1
TrentOSU
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 11' AW e90 335i M-Sport

Wheel help..rim issues

Hello all,

Very new to the forum and excited to be a part of it. I have a 2008 black sapphire e92 335i with very low miles. Currently I have the 189 wheels on the car. A few days ago I started my car and on the navigation screen it a message popped up telling me my left rear air pressure was low. I took it to Les Schwab and they filled it up and it was fine. The next morning, same issue..I had them take the tire off so they could see what the problem was. The found out that the rim is bent a little and there is a crack that came from it.

I have been thinking about purchasing a different set of wheels anyway..but am not sure what would be the best decision. Replace the rear wheels or take this opportunity to purchase a new set. The tires are brand new so I could switch them over to a different set as well.

All suggestions and input would be appreciated.
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2012, 05:10 PM   #2
AndyR83
Major
Rep
Drives: E92 335i FBO

Assuming you don't mind spending the money, new wheels are never a bad thing

I originally wanted to get the style 313 wheels, but I decided on VMR v710's in dark gunmetal instead.
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2012, 05:55 PM   #3
kdbryce
I have to return some video tapes
United_States
Rep
Drives: e70 X5M

i would get new wheels. but you're probably going to want to either replace that rim or have it fixed at some point so you don't return your car with the aftermarket wheels you bought.

you can probably find a style 189 in your regional forum. i see them for sale all the time in mine and they're usually pretty cheap.
      09-30-2012, 08:37 PM   #4
Envuks
Captain
Rep
Drives: '08 e92 335xi

Taking your specific financial situation out of the equation, here is my advice:

Buy a set of reps (vmr, avantgarde, etc.) quickly to solve your problem. You'll prob spend $900 to $1000 on them.

Then search for a used replacement 189. Use the 189s as a backup/winter set.

The reps will look great and bide you some time until you can find a good deal on a 189. I would hate to buy a new 189 from a dealer. While I don't know exactly what the cost, I would bet they're rather expensive for what they are.

Just my $.02
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2012, 08:47 PM   #5
N54_Fan
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrentOSU90 View Post
Hello all,

Very new to the forum and excited to be a part of it. I have a 2008 black sapphire e92 335i with very low miles. Currently I have the 189 wheels on the car. A few days ago I started my car and on the navigation screen it a message popped up telling me my left rear air pressure was low. I took it to Les Schwab and they filled it up and it was fine. The next morning, same issue..I had them take the tire off so they could see what the problem was. The found out that the rim is bent a little and there is a crack that came from it.

I have been thinking about purchasing a different set of wheels anyway..but am not sure what would be the best decision. Replace the rear wheels or take this opportunity to purchase a new set. The tires are brand new so I could switch them over to a different set as well.

All suggestions and input would be appreciated.
I would recommend thinking about what you want out of your car and how you plan to use it before you decide. If you plan to track the car,...well that is easy, ... you need new wheels. If its just for the look of the car get a new set as well assuming its in budget or your significant other would buy this as a good reason to upgrade. If you plan to have a winter set of tires get another 189 and a new set. If you do not plan to have winter tires then just get a new set and use one of these as a spare in case you ever need one. If you just need to spend as little as posible then go to your local tire/wheel shop and they may have a used 189 that you could buy from them from a BMW that someone changed their wheels. I almost sold my stock wheels this way when I bought a new set. In the end I just kept them.

Bottom line is that a new set will probably make you happier and if you have been thinking about it then you probably have part of not all of the funds needed to buy a new set. Replacing just one is pointless in my opinion except when you need a set for track use or as a spare.
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2012, 12:26 AM   #6
TrentOSU
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Thanks for the responses!

I have decided that I am going to purchase a new set of wheels (along with a 189 that I can find). I'll use the 189s for late fall/winter/early spring and the new set for late spring/summer/early fall.

Any suggestions for a wheelset on an e92 335 coupe? Would 19s be the way to go and if so, will 19s clear easily on an e92? I would like to stay under $1200 for the wheelset..and figure that the tires will cost around $900-$1200.

I appreciate all of your suggestions. I use a Honda civic for all of my driving during the crap weather/long road trips and the 335 for just cruising/other adventures
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2012, 02:50 PM   #7
TrentOSU
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyR83 View Post
Assuming you don't mind spending the money, new wheels are never a bad thing

I originally wanted to get the style 313 wheels, but I decided on VMR v710's in dark gunmetal instead.
What color is your e92?
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2012, 03:08 PM   #8
AndyR83
Major
Rep
Drives: E92 335i FBO

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrentOSU90 View Post
What color is your e92?
Montego blue
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2012, 01:53 PM   #9
StabPreflop
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '23 M5 Comp

Sorry, nothing to add but I just have to ask why you prefer your beater car for long road trips? Just mileage? Having driven my 328xi from NYC to SF and back I have to say that the difference is night and day compared to an average car. Even two back to back days of 14 hours apiece of driving solo were totally comfortable and enjoyable. If you are going to be in the car that long it's gotta be a Bimmer is all I'm saying.

Well that and you can't really set the cruise control to 110mph in a Civic.
Appreciate 0