E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > AUDIO/VIDEO + BLUETOOTH + Electronics/Alarm/Software > Any experience with flat-piston subwoofers?

07-29-2007, 06:20 PM   #1
Joe Bimmer
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Alpine White 2015 X5 x35i

Garage List
2006 325i  [0.00]
Any experience with flat-piston subwoofers?

Hi all, I'm thinking of adding a sub to my car. I went to a nearby audio shop, and the guy at the store mentioned flat-piston subs as something I should consider. I want an enclosure that takes up as little trunk space as possible, and still delivers some quality lows. I told him I was interested in the JL Audio 10w6v4 with a fiberglass enclosure in the space above the battery or above the CD-changer location, but he said the JL won't work because the rear clearance will be too tight.

Pioneer has a new one out that seems interesting, although I kinda despise the thought of purchasing anything made by Pioneer:

Link

I'd appreciate anyone's opinions of using flat-piston subs. I'm wondering if they're just boomy speakers instead of being accurate and precise.
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2007, 10:14 PM   #2
allentu
United_States
Rep
Drives: Black on black w/alu trim

when speaking of "flat" subs...one name that comes to mind is ARC Audio flatline subs. GREAT subs! If you enjoy quality sound, look into Image Dynamics IDQ. V3 is comming out soon, so you can wait for it if you like. IDQ's are widely used in competitions
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2007, 10:16 PM   #3
allentu
United_States
Rep
Drives: Black on black w/alu trim

btw on your reponse to pioneer...why would you say you wouldn't buy anything by pioneer? one quick answer might change your opinion....P9 receiver and processor. anyone that knows anything about that receiver and processor will tell you what quality is
Appreciate 0