Tirerack
Use the following links to go directly to useful tirerack winter items: Tirerack Winter Tires. Gary's Winter Tire FAQ.
Using the links directly supports E90Post with tirerack sales commision!

E90Post

The Tire Rack

PLEASE HELP SUPPORT E90POST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wheels and Tires Forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack > Trinity Wheels - Not Bad!

Wheels and Tires forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack
Please help to directly support e90post by doing your tirerack shopping from the above link. For every sale made through the link, e90post gets sponsor support to keep the site alive. Disclaimer

07-28-2007, 11:45 PM   #1
AoshichanX
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Jet Black e90 335i

Garage List
2007 e90 335i  [0.00]
Trinity Wheels - Not Bad!

Well I was shopping around for some rims and I stumbled across Trinity Wheels. I liked their styles so I drove down there...past a few gunshots and hmmm a few police roadblocks. Only calm voice in my car was the idrive ^^;.

When I got there, owner was really laidback. He gave me a tour of his operation--it was a very informative experience. I learned a little about the industry and learned the basics of wheel terminology (what is probably common knowledge to most of you).

I am definitely gonna get my wheels there so long as I come back alive hahaha.

So according to him, 2 piece wheels are the best (light and sturdy)? 1 piece is not as good (heavier) and 3 piece (leaks etc)?
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2007, 01:18 PM   #2
Revlis
Now With 33% MORE Sarcasm Free!
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4 i3 X3

Sounds like a salesman selling... Nothing wrong with that, but I'll bet he had a large stock of 2-piece wheels.

Salespeople will always sell what they have first. No matter what, even when I go into BMW hunting for a 335 coupe she really nudged me into the 328 at first cause that's what they had. So while some salespeople can be quite knowledgeable they are still selling you something. Be skeptical, listen closely, then go do your own research.

Nice looking wheels though.
      07-29-2007, 06:57 PM   #3
Cadillac Johnson
Free taco with stolen base
Rep
Drives: 335i? GTR? RS5?

That's a bunch of BS, sorry to tell you..

Single piece wheels are the lightest, and just as strong as multi piece wheels.

The only advantages of multipiece wheels is that they can be made in custom offsets much easier. Also, if they are damaged you can replace just the damaged part, not the entire wheel. Multi piece wheels are heavier than single piece wheels. This is true 99% of the time when comparing a high quality wheel.

As far as three piece wheels leaking, this all depends on the manufacturer. I have heard of this before, all from wheels that are made in one specific foundry. iForged, DPE, HRE, Jline, etc. It's in SoCal, so just about any custom forged wheel made in SoCal is made at this foundry. I'm going to guess Trinity wheels are made there too, and would make sense since he mentioned three piece wheels leaking..

Just cause someone's nice doesn't mean they're telling you the truth. One of the first things you'll learn in sales is that, people dont buy from people they dont like....
      07-29-2007, 07:06 PM   #4
montreal_bimmer
OEMconcept
Italy
Rep
Drives: BMW

Garage List
2006 325i  [10.00]
nice wheels....
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2007, 07:30 PM   #5
OoCHR1SoO
Private
Rep
Drives: 2007 328Cxi Black on Black

think they could use any smaller images? nice wheels just tough to see detail on them..
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2007, 03:33 AM   #6
AoshichanX
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2007 e90 335i  [0.00]
I'm going tomorrow with my camera. If he let's me I'll take pics of the Trinity wheels in his office and hopefully the bigass machine he uses to make custom wheels.

That is if I can get past the police roadblocks LOL
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2007, 06:56 PM   #7
AoshichanX
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2007 e90 335i  [0.00]
Dropped by today and took a bunch of pics!!

Appreciate 0
      08-01-2007, 12:23 AM   #8
AoshichanX
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2007 e90 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cadillac Johnson View Post
That's a bunch of BS, sorry to tell you..

Single piece wheels are the lightest, and just as strong as multi piece wheels.

The only advantages of multipiece wheels is that they can be made in custom offsets much easier. Also, if they are damaged you can replace just the damaged part, not the entire wheel. Multi piece wheels are heavier than single piece wheels. This is true 99% of the time when comparing a high quality wheel.

As far as three piece wheels leaking, this all depends on the manufacturer. I have heard of this before, all from wheels that are made in one specific foundry. iForged, DPE, HRE, Jline, etc. It's in SoCal, so just about any custom forged wheel made in SoCal is made at this foundry. I'm going to guess Trinity wheels are made there too, and would make sense since he mentioned three piece wheels leaking..

Just cause someone's nice doesn't mean they're telling you the truth. One of the first things you'll learn in sales is that, people dont buy from people they dont like....
Trinity Wheels replies:

Quote:
You should have told that one guy that I had just as much as 3-piece in stock as I do multi-piece wheels . Also the only way a 1-piece wheel is lighter than a multi-piece wheel is if it's a forged wheel but the down fall is that forged wheels will not be made to order because it is too expensive. Only people like me with c&c machines can make a 1-piece forged wheels to order for but it costs too much to buy a big block of aluminum like that and if you mess up you scrap the whole thing...
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2007, 01:24 AM   #9
Cadillac Johnson
Rep

Let me point out a couple things.

First off the only thing he disagreed with me about was the fact that a single piece wheel is lighter than a multipiece wheel. He said the only way they are lighter is if they are forged. If you read my post I said that a single piece wheel is lighter 99% of the time when you compare a high quality wheel, ie. a forged wheel.

On that same note, I can think of two wheels off the top of my head that are cast and are lighter than a multipiece wheel in the same size. Enkei RFP1's and NTO3's..

So, he is still lying to you, I'd stay away from people that lie to their perspective customers, but that's just me..

Last edited by Cadillac Johnson; 08-01-2007 at 01:42 AM..
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2007, 02:40 AM   #10
AoshichanX
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2007 e90 335i  [0.00]
Hehe your concern is very much appreciated

I tend to be naive and easily excitable. *salutes*

But as long as I do my own research and he gives me a good deal on wheels, I hope it will be ok.

Again, thanks!!
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2007, 03:09 AM   #11
Cadillac Johnson
Rep

Dont take my comments the wrong way, I just get a little upset when vendors or shops take advantage of consumers.

Since the forging is done in the same foundry as the other wheels I mentioned, they are certainly a decent quality wheel.

Just do your homework and be cautious about what he tells you, and I'm sure you'll end up with a nice set of wheels.
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2007, 03:43 AM   #12
ScBlacksunshine
YUGO is my dream car
Rep
Drives: Bayerische Motoren Werke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cadillac Johnson View Post
Let me point out a couple things.

First off the only thing he disagreed with me about was the fact that a single piece wheel is lighter than a multipiece wheel. He said the only way they are lighter is if they are forged. If you read my post I said that a single piece wheel is lighter 99% of the time when you compare a high quality wheel, ie. a forged wheel.

On that same note, I can think of two wheels off the top of my head that are cast and are lighter than a multipiece wheel in the same size. Enkei RFP1's and NTO3's..

So, he is still lying to you, I'd stay away from people that lie to their perspective customers, but that's just me..

+1 sounds like a big steaming pile of BS from those people in order to sell you their product 1pc if properly mfg,meaning forged with 8000tons forge with T6000 grade aluminum will always be lighter and stronger then comparable 2pc to 3 pcs wheels. Since the integrity of the wheel is entirely made up of 1 pc instead of relying on the strength of the screws and bolts which hold the hoop and center together. 1pc is design to withstand higher stress load then 2pc/3pc, hence the reason why most if not all IRC/F1 racing uses monoblock forged wheels. Sounds like they probably get the hoops/center from oversea forging foundry (probably China, Malaysia..) forge it using mill cut forging (not die cast) and CNC machine it at their shop, along with final assembly and QC. Next time you go there, you should ask them what exact certification their wheels have? Is it JWL/TUV certified? Does it go through the same strict QCing as Rays? (See video link below)

P.S. He claims to be able to custom forge one pc wheel, does he have any of these equipment at his shop? In order to make the best forged wheels, these similar type of equipment are pretty much a must for lightest and strongest..

http://www.alibaba.com/catalog/11137...s/showimg.html

http://www.alibaba.com/catalog/11818....html#largepic

Last edited by ScBlacksunshine; 08-01-2007 at 04:12 AM..
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2007, 01:17 PM   #13
AoshichanX
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2007 e90 335i  [0.00]
Nice youtube! Very informative! So at the end, I take that the wheels that don't make it as "Rays Wheels" make it as "eBay wheels" then? haha
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2007, 01:34 PM   #14
ScBlacksunshine
YUGO is my dream car
Rep
Drives: Bayerische Motoren Werke

Quote:
Originally Posted by AoshichanX View Post
Nice youtube! Very informative! So at the end, I take that the wheels that don't make it as "Rays Wheels" make it as "eBay wheels" then? haha
Haha not quite, that's why they'll market these wheels as "boutique" wheels. Expensive, well beyond what they're worth (in terms of QC/material used/mfg process) only thing going for them is trying to make a mark with the brand only...it's same thing as the DUB culture Then again, people do pay a lot for belonging to a certain brand name..However, I like to know my money is paying for quality to the fullest
      08-01-2007, 08:07 PM   #15
Steve335
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i Coupe

this is pretty interesting...i was looking at their website and here are a few pics that I think are identical to some other wheel companies...perhaps the exact same images

2007 E92 335i - Delivered on 4/24/2007
Montego Blue, Sports Pkg, 6MT, Brushed Trim
Appreciate 0