Tirerack
Use the following links to go directly to useful tirerack winter items: Tirerack Winter Tires. Gary's Winter Tire FAQ.
Using the links directly supports E90Post with tirerack sales commision!

E90Post

The Tire Rack

PLEASE HELP SUPPORT E90POST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wheels and Tires Forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack > HELP with TPM from a 2006 E90 to 2008 E92

Wheels and Tires forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack
Please help to directly support e90post by doing your tirerack shopping from the above link. For every sale made through the link, e90post gets sponsor support to keep the site alive. Disclaimer

09-20-2012, 07:37 AM   #1
twerle
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 M3 - MW / SO / Manual

HELP with TPM from a 2006 E90 to 2008 E92

Short story....

I used to have a 2006 BMW Sedan 325i with Sport package and NO NAV "iDrive", and a I had a brand new set of tires for the winter and the other set for the summer. My car got total when I had the winter tires, so I keep the original rimms and tires in my garage.

Two years later (three days ago) I sold that set to a friend of mine who owns a 2008 E92 with iDrive, the issue is that his iDrive does not find the TPM on the tires, it just does not sync with the computer.

Does any one knows if the 2006 TPM is not compatible to the 2008 iDrive?

He is pissing me off and I asked for the RIMS back since I don't want to loose the friendship for the S&^$%&^%t TPM.
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2012, 09:54 AM   #2
phillip@bmpdesign
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 335i

As far as I know the TPM in the 2006 e90 was just the speed sensor in the hub. If it felt like one of the assemblies was rolling at a different speed, it would let you know that you likely have an underinflated tire.

The 2008, however, probably came with runflat tires which had an "RDC" tire pressure monitoring system. The RDC system is actually a pressure monitor in the wheel that uses radio frequency (like Bluetooth) to communicate the specific air pressure in the tire to the computer system. The wheels are fine, I'm sure, but you will need to install the RDC sensors into the wheels you sold, either from his old wheels or buy new ones. The iDrive and internal maintenance system are freaking out because they are trying to read sensors that aren't there.

Retail on those is typically $100-$120 dollars each oem.
Like us on facebook!
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2012, 10:38 AM   #3
Gary@TireRack
United_States
Rep
Drives: Formerly 1995 M3

Correct, there are no sensors in a 2006 model. Your friends car is trying to sync up with sensors that aren't there.

Please refer to 'Gary/E90 Post' as your previous contact when you order online to help support this forum.
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2012, 08:26 AM   #4
twerle
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 M3 - MW / SO / Manual

Thank you so much phillip@bmpdesign and Gary@TireRack, you guys really helped me.
Appreciate 0