Tirerack
Use the following links to go directly to useful tirerack winter items: Tirerack Winter Tires. Gary's Winter Tire FAQ.
Using the links directly supports E90Post with tirerack sales commision!

E90Post

The Tire Rack

PLEASE HELP SUPPORT E90POST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wheels and Tires Forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack > Shop to dismount and remount used tires

Wheels and Tires forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack
Please help to directly support e90post by doing your tirerack shopping from the above link. For every sale made through the link, e90post gets sponsor support to keep the site alive. Disclaimer

09-16-2012, 09:47 AM   #1
scubasteve2365
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 07 328xi

Shop to dismount and remount used tires

I purchased a set of wheels/tires here from the board. A set of 162s with Potenza runflats.

Problem is that the wheels came from an 06 and thus no TPMS whereas my 07 has TPMS. I can't find a shop that is willing to dismount the tires on the 162s, install the TPMS from my OEM wheels, and then remount the tires back onto the 162s.

What would you guys do? I went ahead and are having them mount and balance the 162s to my car and perform an alignment that I've needed. I figured that would be easier for me because while I look for a shop willing to install my TPMS I don't have to lug around a second set of wheels.

What type of shop should I be looking for, I can sort of understand a shop not wanting to mount/remount used tires that they didn't sell.

In the interim what risks do I have by not having the TPMS sensors other than the cluster lighting up? Is my car going to behave differently because of the missing TPMS?

I know I can buy an emulator for ~$300 that will bypass TPMS check and that I can code it out. What hardware would be needed to code it out and is it cheaper than the emulator?

Lastly, with runflats and no TPMS will it be obvious if the tire looses pressure?
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2012, 10:10 AM   #2
scubasteve2365
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 07 328xi

In researching I find that I might not even have TPMS but rather FTM.

My car is an 07, but it's in-service or production date is 10/2006, so this means I likely have FTM correct?

I guess I can just wait for the shop to call and be confused and tell me that they cannot find any sensors in my OEM wheels.
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2012, 09:03 PM   #3
Z&M Auto
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 335i

To find out if you have indirect or direct TPMS, simply look at the valve stem. A metal stem is direct "TPMS". The sensor sits in the wheel and reads air pressure and sends to the ECU.

Indirect TPMS would use ABS sensors (wheel speed sensors) to measure which tire has low air pressure.

Main difference is that direct TPMS uses metal stems, vs indirect TPMS using the conventional rubber valve stems.

As far as the issue with your new wheels, if the setup is going to be incompatible, with RFT's you will not know your tire is low on air pressure unless its an (obvious) blow out. RFT's allow you to travel approx 50 miles in distance due to the reinforced sidewall. You can have a chunk of rubber missing from the sidewall, and the tire will continue to hold the vehicle up for 50 miles distance at 50MPH.

My advice, ditch the runflats. Cost outweighs its benefits. Harsh ride, excessive wear, prone to bubbles. Hate to sound like I am playing both sides of the fence here, but the added security of being able to safely pull off of the road during a substantial amount of pressure lost IS cool, but nothing having a spare in the trunk or seal kit can't help.
Appreciate 0