Tirerack
Use the following links to go directly to useful tirerack winter items: Tirerack Winter Tires. Gary's Winter Tire FAQ.
Using the links directly supports E90Post with tirerack sales commision!

E90Post

The Tire Rack

PLEASE HELP SUPPORT E90POST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wheels and Tires Forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack > FRTs Blow!

Wheels and Tires forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack
Please help to directly support e90post by doing your tirerack shopping from the above link. For every sale made through the link, e90post gets sponsor support to keep the site alive. Disclaimer

07-25-2007, 08:13 AM   #1
Kyoshi71
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2010 M3 Coupe

FRTs Blow!

What's this nonsense that RFTs shouldnt be patched? The dealer says it "diminishes the integrity of the tire!" They're Nuts!
With all the construction going on all over, I'll be damned if I'm going to fork over $400 every time I get a nail in the tread.
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2007, 08:42 AM   #2
MINNOW
Current E90 Fetishist
Canada
Rep
Drives: '07 323i / '04 MINI Cooper

Take it to a good tire shop that has adequate equipment to deal with runflats, for example a shop that has done Corvettes for years.
They'll fix the tire assuming the damage is to the tread and not the sidewall.
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2007, 10:12 AM   #3
droptop335
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '07 335i (E93)

Yeah, my undestanding is that the RFTs are not really that different from a non-RFT aside from the sidewall stiffening insert. As long as that hasn't been damaged, then you should be able to treat it like any othere tire.

MHD Stage 1 Flash, M-Factory Helical LSD

By the way people: USE YOUR F&*#ING TURN SIGNALS! Pass the word.
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2007, 10:47 AM   #4
Kyoshi71
Colonel
Rep

That's what I heard from a Bridgestone Rep. However, BMW gives you the typical service department crap.
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2007, 11:17 AM   #5
uberschnell
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Wide Body 1

Did some research; Fixing run-flats is not recommended because they ASSUME you drove on it in a ZERO pressure situation, not because it can’t be patched. The side walls are designed to support the tire for a specific distance only. Once they are used their integrity has been compromised and are no longer rated for “XXX miles at XX mph”.

You can't just patch em and fill it back up and expect the same RFT perfromance.
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2007, 11:51 AM   #6
radgator1
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: e90 335i

Garage List
2007 e90 335i  [0.00]
2007 e90 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magna3 View Post
Did some research; Fixing run-flats is not recommended because they ASSUME you drove on it in a ZERO pressure situation, not because it can’t be patched. The side walls are designed to support the tire for a specific distance only. Once they are used their integrity has been compromised and are no longer rated for “XXX miles at XX mph”.

You can't just patch em and fill it back up and expect the same RFT perfromance.
That begs the obvious question, "who cares?" As long as it will hold air and not expode, the fact that you may not be able to drive on it with no air for as long as you could have the first time it went flat doesn't seem like a reason not to repair it.
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2007, 11:59 AM   #7
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

Here in the UK there has been total confusion on repairing RFT's.

Note the quotes.

Repairing run-flat tyres

Run-flat tyres have specially reinforced sidewalls enabling them to perform whilst deflated for a limited distance and speed as already mentioned. In the course of running in a deflated or significantly under inflated condition, the tyre structure is subjected to high stresses and therefore may become weakened and permanently damaged rendering the tyre both unsuitable and unsafe to repair.

When a standard tyre is run in a deflated condition there are visible signs which indicate that damage to the tyre's structure has occurred. Because of the reinforced sidewall structure of a run-flat tyre these telltale signs are likely to be masked and not visible even if they are present. Even a fully qualified tyre repairer may not be able to detect run flat damage to a tyre. For these reasons alone and in the interests of safety the British Rubber Manufacturers' Association, the body representing the major tyre manufacturing companies, does not recommend repairs to a run flat tyre. The advice from individual manufacturers of run flat tyres may differ however and motorists are advised to check with the tyre company for any different advice.

Trade Release

Following the announcement last week that ATS Euromaster (ATSE) plans to launch a nationwide run-flat fitting and puncture repair service the company has issued a statement clarifying their position.

The main point that ATSE clarified is the fact that it is referring to the latest generation of self-supporting run-flat technology tyres manufactured by Bridgestone, Dunlop, Goodyear and Michelin. These, says the company, are “approved for minor repairs, subject to strict criteria.”

Before any repair can be carried out, the tyre technician must check with the customer how long the tyre has been in a deflated condition. If it has driven over 50 miles, or exceeded 50mph, ATSE says it cannot be repaired.
Technicians must also verify that the tyre is approved by the manufacturer to be repaired and that the repair is then performed in line with the British Standard for tyre repairs - BSAU 159f. If the tyre fails the thorough pre-repair examinations then it must be replaced.
What are the minor repairs ATSE is referring to? A typical minor repair would comprise a nail which has pierced the central area of the tread. If the inspection process highlights any more serious damage, including any of the aforementioned abnormalities, then the tyre must be replaced.
According to an official statement on the subject, ATS Euromaster’s repair policy is “in agreement with both the National Tyre Distributors Association and the British Tyre Manufacturers Association on the positioning of repairing run-flat technology tyres.”
In an effort to clarify the position for both the trade and consumers the NTDA warned that the repairing of run-flats was a ‘complicated issue’ that needed revisiting by key trade bodies.
Richard Edy NTDA Director said:-
“Whilst the Tyre Industry Federation (TIF) has not yet considered this matter, the British Tyre Manufacturers Association (BTMA) have issued a statement on behalf of their members, recommending that repairs are not carried out on run flat tyres except where the history of the tyre is absolutely clear and that the manufacturer condones repairing,” NTDA director, Richard Edy explained.
He said the view of the NTDA is to comply with this statement. “However, we appreciate the right of any member to decide whether or not to repair a tyre. Of fundamental importance is the detailed inspection of the tyre and clear knowledge of the distance and speed following deflation.
“Because of the unique construction of all run-flat tyres it is extremely difficult to identify secondary damage caused by running the tyre in the deflated state, therefore extreme caution needs to be taken when considering repairing any run flat unit,” he added.
In its statement, the NTDA, as a core member of the Tyre Industry Federation, has called on the TIF to give commercial and environmental consideration to this whole subject and provide “more clear workable guidelines for retailers.”
Repair materieal suppliers have also joined in the debate and the following statement was issued by Apaseal:

‘As a leading tyre repair material manufacturer Apaseal repair materials have been subject to exhaustive tests in relation to the repairs to Run Flat tyres, in both the UK and Overseas markets.

'As a provider of a complete tyre maintenance programme, our aim is to provide the Tyre Technician with the material and training that will enable his customer to maximize the return on his investment in tyres, and provide longevity safely, with minimum effect on the environment.

'Repairs can be carried out in accordance with British Standards and the Tyre Manufacturer’s recommendation, strictly following the detailed inspection process that is critical if the tyre is to be safely repaired and returned to service.’

A special edition of the NTDA Technical Bulletin featureing run flat repairs is currently being produced for ciirculation to members next month (February) and the Association is also hosting a meeting of all interested parties to discuss possible revision to the currently British Standard on Tyre Repair BSAU 159.

HighlandPete
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2007, 12:05 PM   #8
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by radgator1 View Post
That begs the obvious question, "who cares?" As long as it will hold air and not expode, the fact that you may not be able to drive on it with no air for as long as you could have the first time it went flat doesn't seem like a reason not to repair it.
Doesn't SAFETY come first? These RFT can fail very quickly if driven at low/zero pressures. They can virtually melt inside.

How on earth can you tell how safe it will be for normal driving, let alone at speed?

HighlandPete
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2007, 06:12 PM   #9
Kyoshi71
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighlandPete View Post
Doesn't SAFETY come first? These RFT can fail very quickly if driven at low/zero pressures. They can virtually melt inside.

How on earth can you tell how safe it will be for normal driving, let alone at speed?

HighlandPete

I think you're right if you consider driving with zero air pressure. I'm talking about getting a nail stuck in it and having a very slow leak. The pressure indicator light comes on when the pressure goes down only a few pounds. If you repair it long before the pressure goes to zero, the integrity of the tire (tyre) shouldnt be compromised. IMHO
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2007, 09:03 PM   #10
uberschnell
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Wide Body 1

Quote:
This begs the question "Then why keep the funflats if you can't run it flat?"

Quote:
I think you're right if you consider driving with zero air pressure. I'm talking about getting a nail stuck in it and having a very slow leak. The pressure indicator light comes on when the pressure goes down only a few pounds. If you repair it long before the pressure goes to zero, the integrity of the tire (tyre) shouldnt be compromised. IMHO
You are probably correct, only it's safer for dealers to just maintain a blanket policy of no repairs.
Appreciate 0