M5POST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M5POST - BMW M5 Forum > F10 M5 Forum > Mechanical Maintenance - Break-in, Oil, Fluids, Servicing, Etc.

09-05-2012, 04:49 PM   #1
RPiM5
Major General
Rep
Drives: Mexico Blue F10 M5(Mika)

First F10 M5 Euro Delivery Break-In Service complete and Nuburgring achievement unloc

Hey guys, I just got minute to chill here and wanted to make a quick post. I am currently at the Nurburgring and I have completed my Break-In Service in Germany this morning.

I already took it on the Nurburgring this afternoon and The only word I have to describe the power and performance of the F10 M5 once its fully broken in is "UNREAL!".

I talked with my Germsn Service advisor today and he confirmed that the technician deactivated what is known as the Break-In mode in the M5, which allows for full horsepower and torque. Only the engine and transmission fluid was changed and not the differential. Unmade them call the engineers at BMW AG to confirm that diff fluid did not need to be changed. I also made sure that they used 10W-30 oil to change the engine oil. I could noticeably tell a difference of increased power and torque from the M5 after thee servicing was complete.

It was my first time on the Ring today, and holy moly it is AWESOME! Especially with the M5 fully unleashed. The power and torque of the M5 is beyond incredible and is scary fast. On the last part of the track where the LONG straightaway is, I pushed the M5 all the way up to the speed governor. I hit about 162 on the HUD. Let me tell you, At 150mph, the F10 M5 feels like its still in 2nd gear at those speeds. There is do much thrust even at those speeds above 150mph, it almost reminded me of my old Stage 2 E60 M5 which had 600hp. When you are in 3rd gear, and full plant the throttle to the floor all the way to 100mph, you better hold on to your pants, because the car wants to rip them off.

Unfortunately, I can't upload any pictures here on this Bimmerpost App on my iPhobe or least I can't figure it out. I took lots of pictures though.

I will post all the good pics when I get back home to the States anyways.

Appreciate 0
      09-05-2012, 04:53 PM   #2
stealth.pilot
Knight Commander
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2014 911 Turbo S

Garage List
Very inspiring! Maybe I should do this too. Do you need reservations for the ring?
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2012, 05:04 PM   #3
X5Blair
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: X535d; M2, M3, M5, 540d, AMV8V

Garage List
I thought the break in delivering more power was an urban legend. You really believe this is the case?
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2012, 05:04 PM   #4
jmh
Internet Crash Test Dummy
United_States
Rep
Drives: F97 X3MC / F80 M3 / F90 M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by stealth.pilot View Post
Very inspiring! Maybe I should do this too. Do you need reservations for the ring?
You can buy tickets for the Nordschleife here : http://www.nuerburgring-shop.de/fahr...ml?___store=en

Opening hours are varying and often it is closed for half days (or full days) if events or manufacturer testing is/are scheduled

http://www.nuerburgring.de/en/angebo...dschleife.html

It is interesting but a long haul from Munich and if it's not open (either scheduled or
unscheduled due to accidents) you might just be able to buy a sticker/T-Shirt
15 F10 M5 Individual / Brilliant White / Extended/Full Cohiba Brown (Exec/Driver/B&O/20") / A few Euro add-ons / Stealth K40 / Upgraded B&O / ///M Performance Carbon Interior Trim / IND / Akrapovic Evolution Exhaust / HRE S107
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2012, 05:09 PM   #5
Poleposition
~~~~~~~~~~~~~
United_States
Rep
Drives: very well

NICE!
2024 i4 M50 on order

IG @purpleM5Comp_NY
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2012, 05:21 PM   #6
Necromancer
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011.5 M3 Sedan

That's the way to do it. Good on you.
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2012, 06:20 PM   #7
efm9821
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: F10 M5, E46 M3

Garage List
2013 M5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by RPiM5 View Post
Hey guys, I just got minute to chill here and wanted to make a quick post. I am currently at the Nurburgring and I have completed my Break-In Service in Germany this morning.

I already took it on the Nurburgring this afternoon and The only word I have to describe the power and performance of the F10 M5 once its fully broken in is "UNREAL!".

I talked with my Germsn Service advisor today and he confirmed that the technician deactivated what is known as the Break-In mode in the M5, which allows for full horsepower and torque. Only the engine and transmission fluid was changed and not the differential. Unmade them call the engineers at BMW AG to confirm that diff fluid did not need to be changed. I also made sure that they used 10W-30 oil to change the engine oil. I could noticeably tell a difference of increased power and torque from the M5 after thee servicing was complete.

It was my first time on the Ring today, and holy moly it is AWESOME! Especially with the M5 fully unleashed. The power and torque of the M5 is beyond incredible and is scary fast. On the last part of the track where the LONG straightaway is, I pushed the M5 all the way up to the speed governor. I hit about 162 on the HUD. Let me tell you, At 150mph, the F10 M5 feels like its still in 2nd gear at those speeds. There is do much thrust even at those speeds above 150mph, it almost reminded me of my old Stage 2 E60 M5 which had 600hp. When you are in 3rd gear, and full plant the throttle to the floor all the way to 100mph, you better hold on to your pants, because the car wants to rip them off.

Unfortunately, I can't upload any pictures here on this Bimmerpost App on my iPhobe or least I can't figure it out. I took lots of pictures though.

Awesome!! I cant wait until my early October ED F10 M5. I too planned on servicing and then off to The Ring ... can you tell us who/where you went to for servicing?
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2012, 07:53 PM   #8
AGS
Major
Rep
Drives: 2022 M5 Competition

Quote:

It was great hanging with you on Saturday. I hope your trip to Italy went well. Sounds like the Ring portion was a blast!

Thanks for the post-service review. You're killing me though as I wait for my car to get here from Germany!!!!
Previous: 2019 Donnington Grey M5 Competition, 2016 Silverstone M5 CP, 2013 Monte Carlo Blue M5 CP (ED on 9/1/12), 2009 Carbon Black M5, 2006 Silverstone M5, 2003 Sterling Grey M5, 2000 Anthracite 540i6, 1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.9Ltd, 1990 Eagle Talon TSi AWD, 1978 Mazda RX-7
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2012, 10:56 PM   #9
NadocaysM
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 135i coupe

That sounds so cool, please could you tell us where and cost for the service, I am planing to do the same on my ED.. Thanks for the info
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2012, 11:41 PM   #10
aus
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Odysse

The IND dyno would suggest there's no unlocking of power.
Let me get this straight... You are swapping out parts designed by some of the top engineers in the world because some guys sponsored by a company told you it's "better??" But when you ask the same guy about tracking, "oh no, I have a kid now" or "I just detailed my car." or "i just got new tires."
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2012, 01:32 AM   #11
ucla95
Striker
Rep
Drives: Slow cars

Great stuff.
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2012, 08:09 AM   #12
Poleposition
~~~~~~~~~~~~~
United_States
Rep
Drives: very well

Quote:
Originally Posted by aus View Post
Agreed. Confused now.
2024 i4 M50 on order

IG @purpleM5Comp_NY
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2012, 08:24 AM   #13
bobblehead
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: warp speed

OP,

Glad you had a blast in the ring ... next up, the Autobahn !

Even my dealer confirmed and suggested the car is de-tuned during the break in period and only after the break in period servicing will the dealer re-tuned it back to factory spec.

I can even feel the car does not have full power as I had 2011 550 just a week ago.
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2012, 01:28 PM   #14
zzzmmm
SICK
Rep
Drives: MCB F10 M5

Quote:

nice post, glad you were able to let her run while in Germany.
Also enjoyed dinner in Munich, take care.

Appreciate 0
      09-06-2012, 03:23 PM   #15
Niko1414
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 720S, s550, S7, 997GT3RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poleposition
Quote:
Originally Posted by aus View Post
Agreed. Confused now.
Well I guess IND can settle this pretty quickly by getting doing Dyno after 1200 mile services.

Settle this once and for all!
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2012, 05:54 PM   #16
e6t
Rep
Drives: 2009 535

i thought all M engines were already "broken in" when delivered.
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2012, 07:18 PM   #17
whiteM5
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2013 M5

i dont understand why so much contradiction on whether the car is de-tuned from factory or not? who can give us a real answer?
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2012, 07:40 PM   #18
MTV
Banned
Canada
Rep
Drives: E60 M5, Volvo S60R

Pics Pics Pics !!
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2012, 09:04 PM   #19
bradone1
BMW Extraordinaire
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 X7 M Sport, 2015 M4 Vert

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiteM5
i dont understand why so much contradiction on whether the car is de-tuned from factory or not? who can give us a real answer?
+1
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2012, 09:22 PM   #20
Tourbillon
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '14 S550, '13 4S, '11 E550

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradone1 View Post
+1
BMW of NA?
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2012, 01:48 PM   #21
bobblehead
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: warp speed

Quote:
I talked with my Germsn Service advisor today and he confirmed that the technician deactivated what is known as the Break-In mode in the M5, which allows for full horsepower and torque. Only the engine and transmission fluid was changed and not the differential.
I am in Canada and this is what I got back from my BMW dealer - Svc Mgr

"On your 2000km service we would replace the engine oil & filter, replace the rear diff. Fluid, & replace the transmission fluid only if the vehicle is equipped with the manual transmission. If your vehicle has the SMG transmission then we do not replace the transmission fluid. & yes we will unleash the full HP on your vehicle after this service is performed."

Kind regards

Justin Vella
Service Manager
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2012, 01:51 PM   #22
whiteM5
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2013 M5

so does that mean IND's car is going to shoot up in power after the service cause their numbers are impressive with 400 miles and a detuned motor...
Appreciate 0