E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > BMW Warranty

09-01-2012, 02:41 PM   #1
ROW
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW E92 330i Individual

BMW Warranty

Hi All

My BMW approved used warranty is about to run out this month.

I drive a e92 330i with the n53 engine. They are know for some common faults but nothing compared to the 335i or even 320i.

I received a renewal letter through the other day. There are 3 different levels of cover to choose from: Comprehensive, Named Component, Driveline. Quote from £330 for Driveline to £440 per year for Comp. (or can pay monthly)

http://www.bmw-warranty.co.uk/Pages/...Comparison.htm

What are peoples thoughts. Is BMW Warranty worth it? if so, which level of cover?
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2012, 04:10 PM   #2
Mani59
BMW Miniature Collector!
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E38 735i SE Individual

Although my car is an E60, I just had some warranty work (software update) carried out under the AUC warranty, and if I did not have the warranty, it would have cost around £500.

For me, I will definitely be renewing come renewal next year, simply for that peace of mind.
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2012, 06:09 PM   #3
The_Bear_Yid
BM Noob
England
Rep
Drives: E92 325i

As Raj has sad, dealer repair bills can be very costly.

I'd say it's worth it for the peace of mind.
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2012, 01:09 AM   #4
Falmouthboy
Squadron Leader (Ret'd)
Rep
Drives: E91 330d SE & Mini Coupe JCW

If you want to have the peace of mind the BMW product is the safest to go for without doubt. We took the full cover with a £100 per claim excess.
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2012, 02:32 AM   #5
gangzoom
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: E90 335i M sport

At the end of the day it's a insurance product so do what you feel comfortable with. I have no warranty on my 335i and quite glad my car has to never go near a BMW dealer again. However I do have access to a good independent garage and funds to replace the bits that might go wrong. But I'm a fan of insurance products in general and rarely take out travel insurance for holidays etc..
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2012, 01:06 PM   #6
gavp
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E46 M3/ F21 M135

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falmouthboy
If you want to have the peace of mind the BMW product is the safest to go for without doubt. We took the full cover with a £100 per claim excess.
Same here but opted out of breakdown cover as was over £70, pay about that for worldwide any vehicle cover.
      09-03-2012, 06:37 AM   #7
mistryn
Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW 335D

I would say if you are opting to go for warranty then I would advise go for BMW extended warranty. Mine went into the dealer few weeks ago to have inlet manifold replaced and 2x pressure converters.

If I was to buy the parts alone it would cost -
Manifold £440
2x Pressure covnerters £180
Then fitting on top

This was covered under warranty, no issues of them trying to squirm out of it etc. Dropeed car off, telephone at 10am to say above parts need replacing and covered under warranty and had the car back next day

Plus now the ext warranty no longer stipulates service must be carried out by dealer, only that it is serviced accordingly and genuine parts used/VAT garage so that is a big bonus
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2012, 07:54 AM   #8
Statler
Major Pain in the Arse
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E92 320D M Sport

The BMW warranty monthly costs are based on your required excess. I went with comprehensive cover at £39 per month and £100 excess per claim. I could also have gone with comprehensive at £48 per month and no excess. I think there was also a lower charge level but it wasn't comprehensive.
I've used it twice since March and it's paid for itself several times over despite the excess.

S
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2012, 08:18 AM   #9
shrink
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E90 325i SE

i renewed mine on the 325i, as the previous owner had a yearly policy and i had a spare month at the end. Now on my car, i have i-drive to worry about, so its just one of those things i like having for peace of mine.

however, i went for the £250 excess. I came to this conclusion thus:

for me they wanted £72 a month with no excess... £55 a month with £100 excess and £40 a month with £250 excess.

Now based on a years driving, and making a single claim. The £250 excess would have cost a total of £910... but the £250 excess would only cost £730

so althoug a smaller excess sounds like a nice idea, you're cheaper over the year with the £250 excess. In fact even if you make two claims in the year you're still cheaper with the £250 excess.

If i never have to claim.. then i'm £180 better off over the year

the £0 excess has silly monthly costs and its a lot to pay for convenience. So overall I think the largest excess is the best option.
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2012, 09:26 AM   #10
Falmouthboy
Squadron Leader (Ret'd)
Rep
Drives: E91 330d SE & Mini Coupe JCW

Quote:
Originally Posted by shrink View Post
i renewed mine on the 325i, as the previous owner had a yearly policy and i had a spare month at the end. Now on my car, i have i-drive to worry about, so its just one of those things i like having for peace of mine.

however, i went for the £250 excess. I came to this conclusion thus:

for me they wanted £72 a month with no excess... £55 a month with £100 excess and £40 a month with £250 excess.

Now based on a years driving, and making a single claim. The £250 excess would have cost a total of £910... but the £250 excess would only cost £730

so althoug a smaller excess sounds like a nice idea, you're cheaper over the year with the £250 excess. In fact even if you make two claims in the year you're still cheaper with the £250 excess.

If i never have to claim.. then i'm £180 better off over the year

the £0 excess has silly monthly costs and its a lot to pay for convenience. So overall I think the largest excess is the best option.
Good point - if you drive a BMW, a £250 hit should be manageable, if nit a bit of a pain. Its the £K+ hits that you need to be insured against. That said, there is also the arguement that you are only talking a £K+ bill at a BMW dealer, a good indi using used parts may fix it for a lot less.

On balance for us - in an 09 car, keeping it in the BMW dealer network is worth it.
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2012, 10:48 AM   #11
Seaniboy
Rep
Drives: 335d M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistryn View Post
Plus now the ext warranty no longer stipulates service must be carried out by dealer, only that it is serviced accordingly and genuine parts used/VAT garage so that is a big bonus
Is this true? I have BMW extended warranty on my car but would prefer to use an indy who i know uses genuine parts
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2012, 11:33 AM   #12
mistryn
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seaniboy View Post
Is this true? I have BMW extended warranty on my car but would prefer to use an indy who i know uses genuine parts
I rang up few weeks ago as I wanted to clarify and got them to email me back with confirmation so at later date they cannot dispute if they should wish to do so re servicing

Quote:
Dear ,

Thank you for choosing to purchase BMW Insured Warranty. Following our recent telephone conversation, this email is to confirm that in order to keep your BMW Insured Warranty policy valid, all service work must be carried out in accordance with the manufacturer’s specifications.

The full manufacturer’s specifications can be found in your vehicle handbook and these would include having your vehicle serviced at a VAT registered garage whilst only using genuine BMW parts. Proof of your service may be requested at the point of making a claim.

Please note all repairs must be completed by an Approved BMW Dealership.

If you do have any further questions or queries please do not hesitate to contact me.

Yours Sincerely

BMW Insured Warranty Services Co-ordinator

Appreciate 0
      09-03-2012, 02:52 PM   #13
Seaniboy
Rep
Drives: 335d M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistryn View Post
I rang up few weeks ago as I wanted to clarify and got them to email me back with confirmation so at later date they cannot dispute if they should wish to do so re servicing
Excellent, i might get them to send me an email as well
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2012, 05:14 PM   #14
no golf clubs
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F25 2.0d SE Titanium Silver

I have just received my letter for renewal of warranty on my 2009 (59) 330d e92 highline.

£360 per year with £100 excess and no breakdown cover, pretty sure I get free breakdown cover through my rbs royalties account though will verify this tomorrow.

I think I need the piece of mind, does anyone know specifically if the DPF is covered? I'm doing a lot of short journeys.

Also what happens if I sell the car? Do they refund the balance or does it just stay with the car? What if you opt to pay monthly?

Pretty sure warranty direct will be cheaper but I'd like to stick with the oem policy.
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2012, 05:32 PM   #15
greatbm
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G15 840i Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by no golf clubs View Post
I have just received my letter for renewal of warranty on my 2009 (59) 330d e92 highline.

£360 per year with £100 excess and no breakdown cover, pretty sure I get free breakdown cover through my rbs royalties account though will verify this tomorrow.

I think I need the piece of mind, does anyone know specifically if the DPF is covered? I'm doing a lot of short journeys.

Also what happens if I sell the car? Do they refund the balance or does it just stay with the car? What if you opt to pay monthly?

Pretty sure warranty direct will be cheaper but I'd like to stick with the oem policy.
I went for the full package with no excess £48 month ongoing till you stop payments or they inform you the policy cost is increasing when your mileage increases, I think over 60k. If you pay yearly the remaining full months are reimbursed if you sell the car or you can use it as a selling point to a new private owner to take over the remaining policy at your cost. I have only claimed once and that was for recovery at home and the repair was carried out on the doorstep (misfire from engine all six spark plugs and coils replaced free of charge). Technician had the parts with him something other recovery companies wouldn't.
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2012, 05:43 PM   #16
ROW
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW E92 330i Individual

I've just gone online and got a re-quote. Comprehensive was £360, Named Component was £311 both with £100 Excess. I'm still unsure if to re-new ....

Also to confirm whats already been said i recently called BMW-Warranty and can confirm that to comply with the warranty it does not have to be serviced by the dealers, only has to be serviced using genuine parts so can be by an indy.

When i purchased my 330 the warranty stayed with the vehicle.
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2012, 02:09 AM   #17
mistryn
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by no golf clubs View Post

As far as I am sure the DPF is not covered under the warranty
Appreciate 0