E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > Advice on sound system upgrade

08-25-2012, 10:49 AM   #1
SA320
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW

Advice on sound system upgrade

Hi Guys

I really want to upgrade my sound system and need some advice.

I have the BMW professional system at present but it's just not doing it for me. Every time I turn it up it feels as if the door speakers are going to pop! I have the bass on -1.

I don't want to change the head unit as I've done that all before in my previous cars and want to keep this car as OEM looking as possible. I used to have a 12 inch JL Audio w3v2, a Phoenix Gold amp and an Alpine headunit. Was very loud and heavy on the old bass. I don't necessarily need the same in this car as I know I'm limited in terms of boot space because of the folding roof. However I do want a nice kick and the ability to turn it up loud with clarity and without any distortion.

Unfortunately I can't spend too much on the upgrade simply because I have other financial commitments that are way above this on the priority list. I have up to approx £300-400 MAX.

I've read through the Alpine Retro fit kit upgrades and the ability to re-code the stock head units, but am still slightly confused. Would really appreciate if you guys could help on a couple of questions:

1) Can I simply get the current BMW Professional head unit coded and that's it? Would that make a difference?

2) What would you advise I do on the £300-£400 budget?

I went to a car audio place opposite my work before I joined the forum and the chap suggested that I get the following 8inch subs which will fit nicely in the boot: http://www.caraudiocentre.co.uk/prod...28_p-26534.htm

He said he can hook this up with the current head unit and all I'd need to do is turn the bass down on the head unit so that the door speakers don't sound like they're about to pop and thereafter turn the gains up on the active subwoofer. What do you guys think of this option? If I were to go for it would the subs under the seat still be able to work?

Can anyone advise what they'd do on the budget I'm on - bearing in mind I really have to stick to it?!

Thanks in advance!

Suraj
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2012, 11:02 AM   #2
macck
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 e92 msport

HI check out the sticky in the audio section of the forum . Theres lots of info regards different systems and prices . I found it very useful while installing my audio .
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2012, 11:35 AM   #3
SA320
Private First Class
Rep

Hi there

Are you referring to the 'Alpine Hifi upgrade' thread? If so, yes I read through it but am having difficulty getting my head around it hence the questions! Sorry!
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2012, 11:47 AM   #4
makkan00
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F83 and F36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suraj_320 View Post
Hi Guys

I've read through the Alpine Retro fit kit upgrades and the ability to re-code the stock head units, but am still slightly confused. Would really appreciate if you guys could help on a couple of questions:

1) Can I simply get the current BMW Professional head unit coded and that's it? Would that make a difference?

I went to a car audio place opposite my work before I joined the forum and the chap suggested that I get the following 8inch subs which will fit nicely in the boot: http://www.caraudiocentre.co.uk/prod...28_p-26534.htm

He said he can hook this up with the current head unit and all I'd need to do is turn the bass down on the head unit so that the door speakers don't sound like they're about to pop and thereafter turn the gains up on the active subwoofer. What do you guys think of this option? If I were to go for it would the subs under the seat still be able to work?

Can anyone advise what they'd do on the budget I'm on - bearing in mind I really have to stick to it?!

Thanks in advance!

Suraj

1- Coding does help HU. If you were to add amp, coding is 'must'.
It will also resolve 'pop out' issues of speakers.
'CODING ONLY' will not help unfortunately.

2- Very hard to say. It all depends on your taste. If you love bass, worth of upgrading subs + addition of amplifier. But looking at your budget, apline kit can be bought for about £400 and that is it. That does not include under seat subs.

You have been given rubbish opinion to have that enclosure in your trunk TBH. Go for OEM approach.

If you are interested upgrading under seat subs, then;
If you want bass, go for SWS-8s.
If you want mid range, go for Jenherts.

Feel free to read this.

Looking at your budget, apline kit fits perfectly there.
If you want more advance sound system, then plan different stages. See what you can afford in £400 at stage 1, and then later add additional things in your sound system.

All the best.
      08-25-2012, 12:34 PM   #5
xs2man
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2013 F11 530d M-Sport

As makkan has said. I have been considering upgrading my system, and so I have come to the conclusion I will do it in stages.

Stage 1 being the Alpine upgrade.

Stage 2 being Logic 7 subs.

To be honest, thats probably as far as I would go. Maybe go for upgrading other mids around the car at some point too. But thats as far as I would take it, and that's probably about £600+ worth of upgrades anyway.

Appreciate 0
      08-25-2012, 12:44 PM   #6
makkan00
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F83 and F36

Quote:
Originally Posted by xs2man
As makkan has said. I have been considering upgrading my system, and so I have come to the conclusion I will do it in stages.

Stage 1 being the Alpine upgrade.

Stage 2 being Logic 7 subs.

To be honest, thats probably as far as I would go. Maybe go for upgrading other mids around the car at some point too. But thats as far as I would take it, and that's probably about £600+ worth of upgrades anyway.
I think that would be more than enough TBH.
Wise thinking. Just make sure that you get proper L7 subs (4ohms) and not hi-fi subs (2ohms).
      08-25-2012, 01:22 PM   #7
parapaul
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E91 330d M Sport

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suraj_320 View Post

Thanks in advance!

Suraj
1. It would probably sound worse if you did that. The preset EQ on the base system is designed to try and compensate for the lack of tweeters and poor speaker location. By removing this EQ without adding the extra speakers, you'll make it sound even worse.

2. With that money I would add a half decent set of front components (£100), an amp (£200) and get the HU recoded to HiFi. You may lose out on a little bass by sticking with the stock underseat subs, but the overall sound quality should be much better, and you can always add the subs as a separate project another time.

That active sub is, IMHO, a complete waste of money. It won't improve the sound at all, just add a ton of bass in the boot, which isn't massive on the E93 anyway.

HTH
      08-26-2012, 05:20 AM   #8
SA320
Private First Class
Rep

Thanks very much for the advice guys. Really appreciate it. Ok, I'm defo not going down the route of what that chap in the audio shop suggested.

I have another question (apologies,but not sure who to ask because I don't know a person in car audio whos not trying to sell me something!).

I still have my 12inch JL Audio W3v2 and my phoenix gold amp. Would any of the following options be possible? Hoping that option 1 or 2 would work!

1) To get my amp fitted and have it power just the underseat subs? This is the one: http://www.crutchfield.com/S-fVX1cW4IQhX/p_218OCR252/Phoenix-Gold-Octane-R-2-5-2.html

I could then perhaps turn the bass down on the door speakers and turn the gains up a little on the amp for the subs?

2) To get some speakers to replace the current door ones and have the phoenix gold amp power the new speakers? If so is there any chance I could have the amp power the new speakers AND the underseat subs?

3)To get a custom made box for the sub with the limited boot space I have? If so I could use my
Amp to power it? If this is possible I guess I could still have the underseat subs working as well?

Thanks guys.. Apologies again for the questions! Don't know who to bloody ask!

Suraj
Appreciate 0