BMW
X1 / X2
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos Anyone seen anything like this before? (Suspension defect)

08-20-2012, 08:51 AM   #1
nissan
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 M6 GC CP

Anyone seen anything like this before? (Suspension defect)

My '08 Armada has 85K mi on it. We just got back from a trip to NC last wknd, and this wknd we drove ~500 mi with no symptoms. We were going out on Sat night, backed 10 ft out of the garage and heard a pop. I stopped and checked and saw this! I can't imagine the accident that could have occurred if this happened while we we driving on the highway just hours earlier...could have been fatal.

Tow guy came and was shocked to see it, said he's never seen anything like this before. He tried to use a wrench and connect it together again, but was unsuccessful as it kept popping out. I see this as a major safety issue...we could have been seriously injured or even killed if this would have popped out while driving b/c of having no control over the front passenger wheel. Is this something that can happen out of "normal wear"...seems more like a defect than wear?
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2012, 05:37 PM   #2
Robert
Major General
Rep
Drives: 135i -> is350 -> Tesla M3 perf

Seems like you have a lot of rust and you live east coast. Do you regularly hose down the undercarriage during winter?
      08-21-2012, 05:48 AM   #3
DSB335d
Captain
Rep
Drives: '11 335d DSB/oyster&black/navi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert
Seems like you have a lot of rust and you live east coast. Do you regularly hose down the undercarriage during winter?
A lot of rust?!! Are you kidding that's nothing, most of what you're seeing is dirt. I've seen cars much newer with 10x the rust because they live near the ocean...

Anyway that's a pretty serious failure, you're pretty lucky that happened where it did and not on the highway.

Keep us updated with what Nissan has to say about it.
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2012, 11:18 AM   #4
Silver-Bolt
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2011 Z4 35is Melbourne Red

Garage List
2011 Z4 35is  [9.00]
Did the threads pull out or did it break?
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2012, 12:58 PM   #5
nissan
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 M6 GC CP

Threads pulled out. Dealer said they've never seen it before and don't really know how/why it could happen. Am definitely going to give the heads up to Nissan NA to look into it at the very least. Now my wife's all paranoid abt driving the car esp. b/c she had just driving it 300 mi. round trip just a couple hours before and has no confidence that it couldn't happen to the driver's side.

I don't really wash the undercarriage or anything. Maybe right after winter it went to the car wash and the undercarriage "package" was applied, but I've never had any issues with my other cars before.
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2012, 01:26 PM   #6
DSB335d
Captain
Rep
Drives: '11 335d DSB/oyster&black/navi

Did you have an alignment done anywhere? Maybe some noob messed the threads up? As long as both sides are fixed, your wife shouldn't be worried.
Appreciate 0