E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > USA - California > FW: IMPRESSIVE WRAP joyrides my car, I get surprise letter/ticket weeks later!!!

08-17-2012, 08:52 PM   #1
J Lau
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: E46, E82 ,E89, G30

FW: IMPRESSIVE WRAP joyrides my car, I get surprise letter/ticket weeks later!!!

Look what happened to a friend of a friend =/ Impressive Wrap truly impressed him.
I thought about bringing one of my cars there. Guess not.

Click HERE for original thread from Audizine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by youS4;
So it all started out with talk during a meet. One of the topics was an up-and-coming shop called Impressive Wrap that supposedly does amazing work. Since I needed a re-wrap on my paint protection film, I decided to do some research on them. Their work seemed legitimate and they were gaining traction in the aftermarket scene. I decided that I liked what I saw and wanted to try them out, so I set up a time with Michael Lee, CEO of Impressive Wrap. At this point, I'd like to note here that he initially estimated $2,000 over the phone. Anyway, the week comes for me to drop off my car and I had a few scheduling conflicts, so I call up Michael to let him know. At this point, he now wants me to come in to his shop so he can gauge a better estimate on the materials needed for the job. Ok. No big deal. I had some time to drop by and talk, but not drop off my car. I swing by and he takes a look at my car. He asks if he's given me an estimate already, and I confirmed that he stated $2,000 previously. At this point, he tells me to stick around while he talks with his employees. After about 15 minutes, he informs me that it is now $2,300 and needs a deposit. BIG RED FLAG WARNING THAT I BRUSHED OFF. I've never heard of a deposit for a job like this, and the price hike should have been a big give-away for me to turn around and go back to my original installers, Alex and Edgar at Extreme AutoWerks. I guess I did not have my head on correctly that day, so I agreed to the price and deposit. Actually, it was my curiosity surrounding the shop that got me to go forward with them. Anyway, that was Monday, July 23rd, and I was set to return Wednesday, July 25th.

Wednesday comes, and I drop off my car. Michael lets me know they should be done around Friday or Saturday. I tell him to do a good job and that I'll be back on Saturday. Fast forwarding to Saturday, July 28th, I arrive to the team at Impressive Wrap backing up into a parking space and doing a final wipe down. I check everything out, and come to see that it's not absolutely perfect. Don't get me wrong...it was a decent job, but it definitely did not live up to the hype surrounding this shop. I'd say it's close to the talent at Extreme AutoWerks, but not quite. It was to be expected since it's near impossible to make perfect hand-cuts on paint protection film, and these guys are YOUNG. I mean the oldest guy there cannot be older than 25 years old, so they can't have too many years of experience under their belt. With that being said, the biggest error that they made was not going to the edge on the passenger side, front bumper. Here are some pictures (sorry for the bad shots...these were taken at night):

Driver's side showing that they actually went to the edge on the this side:

Michael justified this error by saying that 3M "guidelines" allow up to a 0.5-inch of error Alright. Not owning up to your mistakes and unwilling to satisfy the customer? Well, I just won't come back then nor recommend you guys. I had other stuff going on in my life, so I just "whatevered" it, paid him, and got out of there. Plus, the mistake wasn't THAT big of the deal. It was low to ground, so it was out of the line of sight. Anyway, I was rationalizing with myself because it was a busy week and had no time to put up an argument nor a re-do.

So here I am now in August. Specifically, it was Saturday, August 11th, and I got a phone call from my dad that evening. He informs me that I GOT A TICKET UNDER MY NAME during the last week of July I was shocked because I did not get pulled over by the police during that time period nor do I remember running through a red light camera and seeing a flash. He tries to decipher the meaning of this while I try to direct him to where to look on the ticket during our conversation over the phone. He describes the ticket to me, and it hits me. The date, time, last name, etc...IT WAS IMPRESSIVE WRAP THAT GOT ME THE TICKET. But why were they fronting me the bill, and sending me the ticket that he physically received?!? My dad and I concluded that he'd mail over everything to me. So let me back up here. Why was I so busy during the end of July and the beginning of August, and why is my dad mailing everything to me? It's because I moved...OUT OF CALIFORNIA and was so caught up with the logistics and labor of the move.

Yesterday, August 15th, I check the mailbox and I finally got everything that my dad sent me. I took a look at everything and see that Michael was able to procure a tint ticket for me. Great...especially since CHP wrote "OWNER'S RESPONSIBILITY" on the ticket. Here's what the ticket looks like:

HOLD UP A SECOND THERE. WHAT IS MICHAEL DOING WITH MY CAR IN POMONA, NO LESS ON THE I-10 FREEWAY (as if the CHP wasn't a dead give away). Last time I checked, South El Monte is nowhere near Pomona.

Also, one could argue that the name on the ticket does not quite match up to "Michael".

Last name, place of work (CEO, no less), birth date...yep, it all checks out. It's him alright!

BUT WAIT! IT GETS BETTER!

Here's where I am totally lost. What does this all mean, especially the "NOTICE TO DEFENDANT/PROOF OF SERVICE" paper? Heck, what do I even do now?!? Who is "Bonnie Lee", and why did she sign it instead of Michael Lee? Did he lawyer up? Why do I need to appear in court? I thought tint/fix-it tickets were easy to handle? Yes, I do realize that the ticket is still somewhat fresh, and that more letters/instructions may be on its way. On a side note, I talked to a buddy of mine who's gotten a bunch of fix-it tickets, and this is the first time he's heard of anything like this. What do you guys know surrounding the law on this matter especially since I'm now out-of-state and subsequently took the S4 with me, and what do you guys recommend? Also, last night, the day I got the letter, I talked to my dad again, and he said the envelope that the ticket came in had NO RETURN ADDRESS. I get this sense of SOMETHING IS REALLY SHADY UP IN HERE. And honestly, CHP pulling someone over JUST for tint? So many questions... BUT, the most glaring thing here is: MICHAEL LEE, CEO OF IMPRESSIVE WRAP, TOOK ONE DOCUMENTED JOYRIDE IN MY CAR. Who knows how many times he took my car out for a spin. More than that: what's he and his crew doing with OTHER cars behind the owners' backs?

Realistically, one approach I would have taken is to call up the shop and ask to speak to the owner/manager/etc. Well, since Michael is the CEO, there's no point in calling. If he sheepishly kept his mouth shut on the day I picked up my car, and cowardly mailed me the ticket that he got without uttering a word, what use is it to talk to him?

"I went to Michael for an impressive wrap, but ended up wrapped in a world of aggravation." HELP, PLEASE
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2012, 09:08 PM   #2
PR3CI5N
need4speed
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 E90 M 335i

DAMN!!! I'd be fcking heated if I were you! This shit should never happen and I think you need to talk to the guy in person and see what's up. If he denies it then sue him/his company and make an example out of him. The guy that got you the tint ticket should've manned up and told as soon as he got the ticket. Especially since he was on a joy ride fairly far from his shop in YOUR car.
      08-17-2012, 09:20 PM   #3
BKap08
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: LCI

from now on im going to check my miles everytime i drop my car off anywhere, thats terrible for your friend I hope justice will be served
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2012, 10:54 PM   #4
khaye1
Colonel
Philippines
Rep
Drives: 18 AW F80

Fuck that! I'll come un-glued! But you're probably a better man than I am...if that's the case, I'll go to every car forum and spread the word till they rectify this mess
      08-17-2012, 11:11 PM   #5
BMVeh
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i

lawyer up thats all i can say
      08-17-2012, 11:21 PM   #6
manutdas11
EL JIMMY NEURON
United_States
Rep
Drives: Jet Black E90

That licks hairy ball sack unshaven for months.
Hope you get this resolved. Sue their ass and make them pay and then some.
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2012, 11:25 PM   #7
carlos916
Semper Fi
United_States
Rep
Drives: E60 ///M5

Garage List
2008 E92 328i  [5.00]
Lawyer, sue, take their business lic away, kiss there business good bye
      08-18-2012, 01:29 AM   #8
peeej
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Former E92 owner

Damn, I'm upset just reading what happened to you. Hope justice is served on this! You need your money back and then some!
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2012, 03:56 AM   #9
pt335i
Private
Rep
Drives: 2012 335i Coupe M sport

wow
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2012, 04:34 AM   #10
BRGmatthew
Bausman
United_States
Rep
Drives: around the block

saw this too! Also on 3m's site, they dont have a headquarters in pomona. It's either corona or ontario if they went that direction. There's one in Monrovia, I wonder why they didnt go there since its so much closer. Sketchy...
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2012, 05:04 AM   #11
tamster00
Uhh, Hi =)
United_States
Rep
Drives: 11' E90 335i, 12' Fit Sport

What a shady company!! I hope they burn to hell and lose their 3m license

Now - 11' E90 335i Performance Edition|Space Gray Metallic|Sport|Premium|Navigation|Steptronic|JB4|E R Charge Pipe|HP Autowerks Foam Filter
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2012, 05:37 AM   #12
ec1c173
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: AW 135i

The crew was recently trained and certified to become an installer for clear bra. It's one of their first big jobs. Their intention was to get the job done right the first time without any error . They brought the car over to the 3m place where they got trained at, have the instructors to monitor them and make sure no mistakes was made. If a shop does not care about their quality work, they will not make the extra effort to go to the 3m place. They can just risk it and wrap the car. The car got approved by the instructor and it's very common to have little imperfection.

Yes, they did make mistakes and didn't tell the customer that they drove his car and so unfortunate, customer's car got pull over for illegal tint. They didn't handle this case very professionally. You learn from mistakes, thats how you become successful. No one wants that to happen.

But who doesn't make mistakes? they wrapped over 100 cars and 99.9% of them are satisfied happy customers. They are good at what they are doing, price is always the best around the area. When a shop gets popular, negative comments are almost impossible to avoid. At least they are willing to man up, and take care of the unhappy customer.

No company in the world never make errors or mistakes. Which vendors on here has 100% positive feedback? None. As long as the shop admit their mistakes and willing to solve the problem with the customer, i believe anyone deserve a second chance. Why so harsh on them when you only heard from one side of the stories?

Why do they not comment back on the thread they create? because they think they provide enough information, and after that, it's between the customer and the them. Why waste time on the forum instead of spending time to take care of the customer and make him happy?

Those guys work their ass off to build the company, pull overnighters few days a week just to make sure the customers get their car on time. It's unfair to have thread like this to hurt a great company like this. They really put much effortss into customer's car. That's all i have to say, most members here are mature enough to determine this situation. No need to create more drama that it needs to. They already admit their fault and please just leave it here. Have the customer and the shop to solve the problem.

If you guys have any further questions, you are more than welcome to pm me.

-Eddie
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2012, 06:04 AM   #13
YMB_F80
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: YMB F80 M3

Garage List
2009 335i  [7.00]
2015 BMW M3  [10.00]
well i don't know both sides of the story but I've dealt with them and they are very professional, i had my roof wrapped and they did it really quick and was far cheaper than any other shops. hope this gets solved out, best of luck!
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2012, 01:58 PM   #14
krnet2dboi
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 328i Base

I would definitely sue the living hell out of them. You operate my vehicle off the vicinity of the work place for ANY reasons without my consent, prepare to lose your business.

PLUS, not disclosing to the customer about the ticket they got on the CUSTOMER's vehicle?

This place of business is done.
      08-18-2012, 02:04 PM   #15
krnet2dboi
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 328i Base

Quote:
Originally Posted by ec1c173 View Post
It's unfair to have thread like this to hurt a great company like this.
You are saying, it was fair for the customer to illegally drive his vehicle without his consent, get a TICKET on his vehicle, AND not disclose the incident to the owner?

You guys don't deserve to own a business.
      08-18-2012, 02:59 PM   #16
skinrock
Agent Smith
Rep
Drives: 2016 i8

Garage List
2016 BMW i8  [10.00]
Quote:
The crew was recently trained and certified to become an installer for clear bra. It's one of their first big jobs. Their intention was to get the job done right the first time without any error . They brought the car over to the 3m place where they got trained at, have the instructors to monitor them and make sure no mistakes was made. If a shop does not care about their quality work, they will not make the extra effort to go to the 3m place. They can just risk it and wrap the car. The car got approved by the instructor and it's very common to have little imperfection.
Did they inform the car owner that they would have to drive it to the other shop? If not, that was mistake number one. I'm sure he would have rather driven it himself. Also, apparently it was worth naught to do it in front of the "instructor" because that was a pretty glaring error they made.

Quote:
Yes, they did make mistakes and didn't tell the customer that they drove his car and so unfortunate, customer's car got pull over for illegal tint. They didn't handle this case very professionally. You learn from mistakes, thats how you become successful. No one wants that to happen.
This is a huge mistake. This isn't a simple "oops, sent you the wrong part, we'll send the right one" or "we'll touch up this cosmetic flaw free of charge". He entrusted them with his car and they violated that trust and got a ticket while doing it.

Quote:
But who doesn't make mistakes? they wrapped over 100 cars and 99.9% of them are satisfied happy customers. They are good at what they are doing, price is always the best around the area. When a shop gets popular, negative comments are almost impossible to avoid. At least they are willing to man up, and take care of the unhappy customer.

No company in the world never make errors or mistakes. Which vendors on here has 100% positive feedback? None. As long as the shop admit their mistakes and willing to solve the problem with the customer, i believe anyone deserve a second chance. Why so harsh on them when you only heard from one side of the stories?
There are definitely vendors on here that I've seen nothing but positive feedback for. And yes, little mishaps are bound to happen, but if someone lies or doesn't own up to something, you will hear about it. This case is no different, he is allowed to share his situation so others can make an informed decision about going there.

Quote:
Why do they not comment back on the thread they create? because they think they provide enough information, and after that, it's between the customer and the them. Why waste time on the forum instead of spending time to take care of the customer and make him happy?
To quote what you previously said: "Why so harsh on them when you only heard from one side of the stories?". How exactly are we supposed to do this if they refuse to publicly follow up? If they can't provide an explanation, you leave people with no choice on what to believe.

Quote:
Those guys work their ass off to build the company, pull overnighters few days a week just to make sure the customers get their car on time. It's unfair to have thread like this to hurt a great company like this.
To quote you again, you said: "No company in the world never make errors or mistakes. Which vendors on here has 100% positive feedback? None.". Why is it unfair if no company is perfect? That is the nature of the beast. When you are in a business, you will eventually have an unsatisfied customer. And sometimes when it's an extreme situation, they feel it's necessary to share it with others. If the company feels it's "unfair", they should explain themselves. That's why multi-million dollar businesses hire PR agencies, because it gets to a point where they can no longer handle the publicity on their own. Until it becomes economically justifiable to do that, they will have to take care of their own image. And when someone doesn't explain themselves, it rarely looks good.
      08-18-2012, 03:06 PM   #17
WiLD
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: your girl WiLD

I would definitely confront him. If he isn't man enough to admit his mistake and accept responsibility then you take further action, lawyer, sue and what not. Sucks this happened to ya man and I certainly hope you can resolve the issue at the least expense to you. Just goes to show that everyone should take a picture of the mileage with the days newspaper when you get to the shop and let them know you recorded it, not in a dick way, just say you've been screwed over before or something. Good luck to you brother!

\ 07' e92 335i / BSM \ Saddle Brown / Remus \ JB4 / OSS \ LCI / M3 Rep \ 20" Vossen CV3 / H&R Sport \ QI45 /
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2012, 04:44 PM   #18
shoenlace
Private
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 328xi

Garage List
2011 328xi  [0.00]
Quote:

Those guys work their ass off to build the company, pull overnighters few days a week just to make sure the customers get their car on time. It's unfair to have thread like this to hurt a great company like this. They really put much effortss into customer's car. That's all i have to say, most members here are mature enough to determine this situation. No need to create more drama that it needs to. They already admit their fault and please just leave it here. Have the customer and the shop to solve the problem.

-Eddie
I don't understand why you are defending a shop that has obviously Fxxxed up!! Plus they are not stepping up at all, at least tell the customer what has happened. Are you in anyway affiliated with them? As of right now you look like a Ass by defending a bad company.
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2012, 05:25 PM   #19
TC_e90
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: e90 LCI 335i

Shop should've notified and taken care of issue immediately with customer, instead of back dooring the customer.
      08-18-2012, 08:05 PM   #20
jballer123
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011m3 zcp

this is one time a confrontation at his work should happen, this is ridiculous, i am tired of people not taking responsbility for thier actions and passing it off as no big deal, !!! I am sorry this happened to you and i would call a local lawyer and send him a demand letter asap.
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2012, 09:05 PM   #21
jvsxn
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: e-ninety

Quote:

-Eddie
There are so many fallacies in your post.
Who you is?

Edit: Further questions? PM you? And say/ask what?
      08-18-2012, 09:32 PM   #22
SamLu
Private
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Lol

That Eddie guy is probably a worker there or michael lee ( the owner) trying to defend there shop. Lol ***
Appreciate 0