E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > USA - California > Socal Front license plate fix it ticket.

08-16-2012, 09:04 PM   #1
hoodie
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 328i coupe

Socal Front license plate fix it ticket.

So searched around and didn't find too many topics discussing this (specific to my situation), so I thought I'd post it up here for anyone to chime in.

Long story short, in July 2011, I was driving around Ktown in my old 08 525i and got pulled over for a fix-it-ticket, nothing else. The ticket stated that I need to get it corrected and pay the $25 fee.

I have an appointment around august, but postpone it till September. I went to court and they said I need to come back July and settle the matter then(for whatever reason).

It's July 2012, the car is not in my possession (sold it) to an old neighbor and I receive a letter saying that I missed my court date (which I did because I completely forgot about the court date I scheduled 10 months prior) and that I would have to pay $500 +$350 fee for failure to appear.

Thing is, the car is not in my possession and I was wondering what the appropriate means of action are. It'll be difficult, but i'm sure if i tried hard enough I can the ticket written off and pay the fee's. But seeing how I work full time, I'm finding it difficult to get the user to find time to get the ticket written off on my behalf.

Is it possible for me to come out of this without really having to pay anything?

your thoughts and kind words of encouragement are more than welcomed.

Appreciate 0
      08-16-2012, 10:12 PM   #2
Delusive
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Bagged E92

First off I don't know if it's the same procedure here in Norcal and Socal but if it is then why did you go to court if it was just for a fix it ticket? all you had to do was correct it, show it to any police officer, let them sign the back of the ticket and pay the fee of $25.

Even if the car is not in your possession everything else was filed under your name, address, and drivers license.

So I doubt you can get away with this unless i'm wrong but other than that you'll probably end up having to pay for the fine and they'll be strict about excuses you make since you had so much time to correct your error and pay the fee.
      08-17-2012, 12:46 AM   #3
elinstylez
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 e92 M3

When was the car sold? Why did you postpone for so long? It really depends on the facts and the judge who will be hearing your case. How did a $25 ticket become $500? The $350 sanction is understandable but more facts will be needed before anyone can assist you. At the very least you should be able to get the fines reduced.
Appreciate 0