E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > Hi all! and DPF help needed!

08-16-2012, 11:30 AM   #1
SLiMKhan
Tech Ninja
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 320d M Edition MSport (E90 08)

Hi all! and DPF help needed!

Hi all,

New to the forums, the name's Slim, have been browsing here and other forums for a while but decided to join the local UK one I thought was more friendly/inclusive (this one), as I'm currently the owner of a 2008 e90 320d M Sport special edition (photos to come soon) and intend to be for quite a while.

I like working on cars myself (technically rather than mechanically), and have always handled diagnostics etc myself on my other cars (using ODBII), however I'm new to this on the BMW.

I know I've kind of summarily posted something in the DPF cleaning fluid thread, but thought a separate thread would probably be better.

I have a problem, that occurred whilst driving yesterday, just before a motorway run I had a Particle Filter message on my iDrive display, and on the instrument cluster (with relevant warning triangle). Now the past few weeks I've done very little motorway driving, so i'm initially thinking my DPF is a big clogged, and needs a forced regeneration. I use this car as my main car, and need to drive it practically everyday (clocking another 150 or so motorway miles today) :/

Here lies the problem, although I've done diagnostics on other cars I'm new to it on the BMW's, and although I've ordered a K+DCAN cable (and know I'll probably need INPA or other software), I'm a n00b at this, and therefore need a bit of guidance. :|

It's my understanding that I need to clear the codes, then take it out for a long drive (keeping revs above 2000) on a motorway run, and get it to force the regeneration that way... as apparently it won't regenerate if the error codes are set and must be cleared first, however I have no idea exactly what software I need to clear the codes or how to clear them using INPA or other software. My cable should be with me in a couple of days, so that gives me some time to get a laptop (or virtual image) ready with the software.

Any thoughts, help, suggestions, guidance, links?

Any help would be appreciated, as I've got some motorway mileage to do after the next week or so, so really want to get this sorted without having to resort to a dealer/indie. (indy wants £70 for forced regen, or £500 for DPF removal and remap)

Appreciate 0