E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > Issues with 318i - At wits end!

08-05-2012, 04:16 PM   #1
gstewa25
Registered
Rep
Drives: E90 318i sport plus

Issues with 318i - At wits end!

Hi Folks,

I am needing some advice as I am currently having issues with my 3 series which was registered in June '11 and has approx 21K miles on it.

The problems started end of February '12 where there was a high pitched squealing noise coming from the nearside of the car. It was booked into a dealership where, after raising a PUMA case with BMW, replaced the full steering rack and did a full wheel alignment at the beginning of march. This didn't fix the problem and it had to go back in where they did some more adjustment which seemed to solve whatever was going on. Fast forward to an evening in July '12 and when we were coming home the power steering packed in completely as we turned into our street. BMW Emergency services came out the next morning who towed the car to the nearest dealership where the steering rack was replaced again. Got the car back and there was still an issue with the steering so back in it went where the said the rack that was fitted had an internal fault and was replaced again.

Other problems is include:

1) Issues with cold start where it doesn't always start first time or takes longer than usual. To solve this they replaced some injectors, coils, spark plugs and the NOX Sensor which seems to have solved it.
2) Clutch Judder - No idea what they did but seems much better
3) Squeaky Doors - Not a big issue but very annoying but fixed after being treated three times.

So to summarise since March '12 the car has had 3 steering racks, Nox sensor replaced, Injectors replaced, coils replaced, spark plugs replaced.

I have spoken to the BMW Customer services and told them that I don't really have any confidence in it anymore and feel that this may be some what of a rogue car that is not up to scratch. They have referred me back to my selling dealer who are waiting on the sales manager coming back from holiday to discuss it.

What I am really looking for is some advice on how to handle BMW/Dealer. I have never really been in this situation before and am not sure what my rights are or what possible options are available to me.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Many Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2012, 04:26 PM   #2
leetennis
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 3 M Sport

Feel for you bud.
I have been here, I successfully rejected my first 318d due to similar situation, I guess the difference for me was there was a problem they acknowledged but couldn't fix for a lengthy period of time.

I was lucky I had such a great BMW uk customer rep that couldn't do enough for me and didn't see me out of pocket. I wrote an email to BMW uk explaining how getting my 3series felt like achieving a milestone, in reality I was hit with the disappointment of spending the hard earned.

I can only suggest not to lose your cool over it and be clear what will make the situation better for you, don't expect or feel entitled to betterment and they seem more helpful.
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2012, 04:27 PM   #3
andy9188
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: van

Hi pal to put it bluntly bmw don't give a flying f**k. I had a 2009 e90 lci 325d bought on 18k miles and it was in the garage every month over a year. It had 2 front struts, egr valve, 2 turbos, high pressure fuel pump and the software updated twice and same as you I got referred to my original dealer and ended up buying a 335d and loosing 3k. As long as they fix the issue they don't care I hope they sort you out though.

Andy
Appreciate 0